Lubing the lever pivots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
When removing/lubing the clutch and brake lever pivot bolts what type grease is recommended?

The service manual mentions two different greases for this application -- silicon grease and lithium soap grease. Is the silicon grease more water resistant?

When the pivot bolt is removed does the spring-loaded master cylinder push rod try to pop out? Should a dollop of grease be applied to the push rod/lever interface?

What torque is recommended for the pivot bolts/nuts?

1.) I use "white grease" and lube them every change of cold/hot seasons while putting on or removing my Vstrom hand guards.

2.) Nope, the piston will not "pop out". And it couldn't hurt to apply a "small" bit of lube, but it might attract dirt and cause friction.

3.) "Torque spec"? I just tighten the screw until it's snug then bring the locknut up to keep it from backing out.

I just changed out my levers to some new ones made by Pazzo, damn they are sexy.

I used some mobil one synthetic, the difference in the action from the stock set up is un believable. I'm not sure what to attribute it to, the additional lube or the new levers. It would be easier to say the new levers but the stock levers I took out had zilch for lube on them.

Tri-Flow lubricant, available at most "better" bicycle shops, Tools Plus chain also carries the aerosal cans of it.

Expensive, $8 for a 4 oz. bottle, $14 for an 12 oz. spray can.

It's a teflon impingement lubricant. Carrier evaporates overnight and leaves teflon particles behind. Does not attract dirt or grit if given at least a couple hours to dry.

It's one of my dirt bike secrets. Best lubricant for levers, pedal pivots, throttle cables etc. I've ever found. Any place you have exposed surfaces that need lubrication that will not attract dirt or grit like grease will.

Good call Jeff, i use it too on my dirt bike as well. I was not aware of the carrier properties it had, but knew it works well, hard to come by though!

Are you coming to WFO this month?

When the pivot bolt is removed does the spring-loaded master cylinder push rod try to pop out?
Okay, say it does come out. Any advice on how to get that rubber boot back onto the clutch pin? I've been working at this for about an hour now without success. Ugh!

When the pivot bolt is removed does the spring-loaded master cylinder push rod try to pop out?
Okay, say it does come out. Any advice on how to get that rubber boot back onto the clutch pin? I've been working at this for about an hour now without success. Ugh!
The boot is removable. Take it out, attach it to the clutch pin and re-insert the assembly. Make sure you put it in the correct way. Ask LuvToRide what happens if you don't.

The boot is removable. Take it out, attach it to the clutch pin and re-insert the assembly. Make sure you put it in the correct way. Ask LuvToRide what happens if you don't.
Okay that sounds simple enough. But, um...so the boot is held in...how? (Sorry, I just doesn't look like it comes apart. And so far I've been lucky and not torn the rubber boot.). It just pulls out then?

I'll not embarass anyone else and ask about the pin. I embarass myself enough! But yeah, I did catch the difference in the pin. Only one end will fit in the lever anyway. Thanks.

Okay that sounds simple enough. But, um...so the boot is held in...how? (Sorry, I just doesn't look like it comes apart. And so far I've been lucky and not torn the rubber boot.). It just pulls out then?

I'll not embarass anyone else and ask about the pin. I embarass myself enough! But yeah, I did catch the difference in the pin. Only one end will fit in the lever anyway. Thanks.

The boot is held in by its bottom end stretched very slightly around the part it covers. Pull it. It comes off. Really.

I went through this just a couple weeks ago, same thing. Clutch lever off for cleaning/lube, pin comes out of the boot and falls on the ground. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me and looked up the parts fiche on My Yamaha, and saw it was nothing but a plain boot, got brave and gave it a yank. Slides right off, slides right back on. Really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went and gave it another shot. Got it sorted! All back together, and with brand new Pazzo levers.

I was just pensive pulling on that thing, figured for sure I was going to tear it.

Thanks.