Luggage hole-covers don't fit (see pic)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
I bought a set from a for-sale post on the forum a couple weeks back. So when they showed-up yesterday, I went to put them on the bike.

Errrrrr...... this don't look right. They were supposed to be for an 03 but the color isn't right and the holes aren't anything at all like the shape of the covers.

Was there more than one style of hole for the saddlebags as model years went-on? These definitely aren't for an 03 FJR

IMG00001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they are returnable. I don't know of any '03-'09 models that use covers like those. Dunno about the '02s but I can't see them as being any different. Are these the covers that a PO had purchased off of eBay? :fie: If so I think the PO got hosed and it has run down hill. Sorry!

Hope they are returnable. I don't know of any '03-'09 models that use covers like those. Dunno about the '02s but I can't see them as being any different.
They were advertised as being for an 03 but I just thought I'd check if there were differences over the years. I didn't think so, since the luggage looks the same over the yrs.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake. I've already PMed, asking to be refunded.

BUMMER though... I was really looking forward to those holes being covered, as I ride sans-bags 90% of the time :(

Photo ain't all that good, but they look to be 04 Cerulean Silver?

And I can't really tell the deal with the forward one, but is the back cover for the hole underneath?

Photo ain't all that good, but they look to be 04 Cerulean Silver?
And I can't really tell the deal with the forward one, but is the back cover for the hole underneath?
yeah, I drove out to where it's in winter storage not expecting to take any pictures so the only camera I had was my phone.

There were 4 of the larger ones (closest to you in the pic) and 2 of the smaller angled ones so logically, I assumed the 4 are for up top and the remaining 2 were for underneath.

But nope, either style fits in either hole.

The silver lining in all this is that it's a balmy 4 degrees outside today. I just couldn't help myself so I started her-up and took her out for a quick ride! :yahoo:

I'm the one that sold those cover plates to Leskid. They came with an '04 that I bought for parts. They're definitely not the '04 Cerulean Silver. I was told by the PO (who had purchased them off eBay) that they should fit the '03. I have the original eBay invoice that says they are for an FJR, with a note saying he (the ebay seller) couldn't use them because they are the wrong color. Also, I assume the PO of my parts bike never test fit them either, as he was too busy healing from the crash. Anyway, not being smart enough to test fit them on my '04 before I sold them, it looks like they don't fit the Gen1 bikes at all. And they probably don't fit ANY FJR! Can someone please verify that these wouldn't fit the GenII bikes? The color may be the '07 Silver.

Anyway, my bad all the way around. I will refund money to Leskid. I wonder how many people have owned this set of saddlebag cover plates? Next? No, seriously, do these fit any FJR, and if not, what bike might they fit?

Thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the '06/'07 AE bikes might be a candidate. Don't know if our (GenII) covers are different from GenI but it seems a reasonable thought. I'll check my parts for a similar 'look'.

I'm the one that sold those cover plates to Leskid. They came with an '04 that I bought for parts. They're definitely not the '04 Cerulean Silver. I was told by the PO (who had purchased them off eBay) that they should fit the '03. I have the original eBay invoice that says they are for an FJR, with a note saying he (the ebay seller) couldn't use them because they are the wrong color. Also, I assume the PO of my parts bike never test fit them either, as he was too busy healing from the crash. Anyway, not being smart enough to test fit them on my '04 before I sold them, it looks like they don't fit the Gen1 bikes at all. And they probably don't fit ANY FJR! Can someone please verify that these wouldn't fit the GenII bikes? The color may be the '07 Silver.
Anyway, my bad all the way around. I will refund money to Leskid. I wonder how many people have owned this set of saddlebag cover plates? Next? No, seriously, do these fit any FJR, and if not, what bike might they fit?

Thanks.
I just looked at the covers for my '07 and they appear to be for that model. I have 6 covers that came with my bike, 2 that look like the bent in the middle cover located towards the front of the bike in the picture and 4 that look like the covers at the rear of the bike. The 2 bent covers go on the underside of the luggage rail between the 2 upper holes. Of the 4 upper covers, 2 covers say FR on the back (they go in the front holes) and the other 2 say RR (they go in the rear holes). The RR covers are slightly smaller than the FR covers.

I know that this won't help with your problem but it might help in identifying them.

-- Frank --

Yup they appear to be off a Gen 2 as was already stated. Just took a picture of mine from my '08. They look to be the same as you show.

photo-1.jpg

they do have the FR and RR on them. What gets me is that the caps have an angled edge but you can plainly see in my pic that the surface they are intended to mate with is flat. Also, as you can see in the pic, the caps are definitely wider than the holes on my '03

I didn't think there was any difference in bodywork over the years but apparently, gen1s have a different tailpiece than genIIs?

Anyone have a pic of the plastic tailpiece on a genII? It would be interesting to see the difference.

Searched a little and finally found a bag-less genII where you can actually see the caps. The tail is completely different and needs the cap with the angle. Not at all the same as my pic.

GenII_2.jpg

Nofreeride - yep, looks like they're from a genII. So the PO didn't know, then you didn't know, I didn't know... until someone eventually tried them

If you want to re-post them, I could just sit on them for now and ship them from here... save a trip$ - lemme know

I don't think there is a single piece of plastic shared between genI and genII, possibly excepting the front fender, and I'm not sure about that. The bags themselves are the same except for color.

The luggage mount cover plates are for sale again. See this thread. They fit a GenII and are the '07 Silver color (which is slightly different from the '03 silver, right?). Thanks.