Luggage rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveFJR

Reaction score
Looking for a luggage rack that replaces the back seat. Don't feel like futzin with the back reast or ordering the back rest plus rack either. Just looking for something that will snap in where the backseat is like they do for a BMW R 1200GS. And don't tell me to buy one of those because there is already one in the garage.

And Mad Mike, I've googled. :rolleyes:

Need to rely on the collective of the forum.

Thanks guys and gals.

I've seen a lot of people strap a bag on to the seat, whether it's just to the back seat or extending from the seat onto the rack. I'm sure you've already thought of that. I have seen a fuel cell/rear rack that replaces the seat, but I don't have any details on that. Perhaps someone else can provide more info?

Several folks have pulled off the rear seat and put a tank or tail bag in place of it. Bolts from the grab rail backed up by a couple of big fender washers through the bottom of the bag keep it secure.

Hey, I think that Corbin Smuggler is great. Except for being outrageously overpriced ($799?!?!) :eek: . And providing only a TINY bit of extra storage. And you can't fasten anything to the top of it thanks to that sexy aerodynamic shape. But other than that, it's really great.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about something like this? <-- click that

Tailbag6.JPG

I used to ride with a tail bag on my seat, much like Fred's post.

Now I have a luggage rack with an extra gas tank underneath:

NorCalHwy36to96019.jpg

Have you discussed your needs with Garuald if all you're after is strictly a rack? Just a thought.

I like the idea of that "Arctic Cat" bag, but is there concern for water entering into the underseat compartment with potential ensuing issues?

Nice Fred. Have your tried the bag on top of the rear seat and how did it work?

That's not my set-up, just relaying the info. If you'll notice, that is the more boring 2006 blue, not the flashy bass boat blue of the 1st gen 2005 that I own. I wanted to go this route with the Nelson Rigg CL100, but found out that the space left with the rear seat removed on a 1st gen is significantly smaller in length. So, alas, this farkle is limited to those with 2nd gens. But it should serve as an idea of what can be done with a little ingenuity.

A while back, a few folks talked about fastening their bags to stripped down rear seat pans so that they could have the quick release and locking features of the seat to their tail bag. I can't say that I've ever seen one completed though. If you removed the vinyl cover and cut the seat foam down as far as you could keeping the top flat, it would be pretty easy to mount one of these sport tail bags onto that pan permanently.

Hey, Hankjak here.

Been toyint around with all sorts of tail bag concoctions and this Axio is the closest to what I'm looking to do. With the rear seat removed, are there any issues with rain getting underneath. Also, I think someone already asked about attaching the bag on top of the rear seat. Was that tried? The price is FAR BETTER than the smuggler for sure.

thank you