M/C Traveling Bags and Luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
My wife tends to think I have a Bad fetish, because I own no less than eight different bags I've bought over the years to use while traveling on my bike. Although our FJR's offer a medium amount of storage space, many of you are like me in the sense our larger size can easily fill a saddlebag, trunk or additional piece of luggage when we pack with just a pair of pants or jacket. I try to keep one of my saddlebags empty so I'll have that "emergency" space should I find that item that I must have to bring home with me.

I own three different Kuryakyn bags designed for attaching to the backrest of cruiser type bikes, but fit real nice on the rear seat of an FJR, a few different style and sizes of typical luggage bags normally used for plane travel and some different types, styles and sizes of nylon bags. Yet with all of this, I still have not found that perfect bag that is either waterproof, water repellent, easy to strap on & off, fairly secure and holds plenty of gear without becoming over bearing on the FJR.

So the other day when my daughter mentioned she was driving to Phoenix to visit her friend for the weekend, I asked her to swing by the Cabela's store and pick me up one of their waterproof duffel type bags that is yet another size that I can use for my Taos trip. I think this will be what I've wanted all along but was in denial until now. Looking through pictures that many of you have posted, I noticed one of these bags strapped to the rear seat of your bikes and decided I had to have one also.

So after trial and error, what is your bag or piece of luggage you have found to work perfectly for carrying on your FJR when the supplied hard bags were inadequate? Oh, I have not purchased a tank bag only because I do not want to scratch up my tank just yet. I think is was Dave Niehart that has the really cool tank bag that actually attaches to the fill that sits above the tank, but can't remember which brand it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big-D,

Here's what I use. I put the (waterproof) Seattle Sports Dry bag duffel in my Givi Top Case with my clothes packed in the zipp sacks. I use the standard Yamaha side case liners, but am careful not to over stuff them to help with longevity. I keep the rear seat clear (less to worry about securing when away from the bike while hiking/taking in visitor center tours, etc)... and have the added bonus of strapping the Dry duffel on the seat if I find something I just have to purchase and haul home. I always seem to find something the first day or two out and don't want to go to plan B right away so I have shipped stuff home before. I've used the Cortech magnetic tank bag for 5 years on my Gen I and have had no scratching issues. This bag is just the right size and doesn't get in the way of viewing my steering stem mounted GPS even when expanded. This set up has worked well for me for years.

HTH,

John

Seattle Sports Dry Duffel

Zipp sacks

Cortech tankbag

I've got the same tank bag set-up as Niehart and a few others in the PNW group. Take a look at Twisted Throttle for the tank bags that they carry. The gas cap mounting ring is a neat and easy to use feature.

Now for the rest, lots of options out there, with the only limiting factor of how far the Visa will go...

Instead of doing the trunk thing, for long trips a Medium MotoFizz will pack a bundle and expands to boot. You can either put on a rack or strap to the passenger seat. It's great for all the light bulky stuff that eats up a lot of space.

One of our local Kool-Aid shops was having a sale on these waterproof bags from Ortlieb. A little spendy, but to pack more bulky stuff and keep it dry, seems to be the ticket.

Pack smart and throw out half the $hit you think you'll need and I've done 2 1/2 week trips with just saddle bags and MotoFizz.

Good luck and happy shopping...

--G

I have a GIVI E52 that pretty much stays on the bike all the time. For additional storage, I have a RevPak seat bag, the big one, that I can easily fill to bursting. It doesn't really fit on the FJR too well though, as the overhang parts on either side of the bag sit right on top of the latches for the side cases.

Here's a pic from the RevPak website:

950%20Excursion.jpg

I've also got a Trial QL and the quick-lock gas cap mount. In that goes my radio, iPod, snacks, sunglasses, thumb rain wiper and other small stuff.

ian

I just pack this: Hauls pretty much everything the wife needs. B) Seriously, escapfjrtist has a pretty good setup if you don't have a trailer.

IMG_3847.jpg

Living here in the Pacific North Wet, I use an Ortlieb waterproof 55 liter roll top duffel. It works well, however, it could be improved upon by being wheeled. The only waterproof, wheeled, roll top duffel I have been able to find is the Cabelas Extreme wheeled duffel. Maybe Sandy Claws will bring me one for Christmas.

cabelas%20extreme%20duffel.jpg

Hi Big- D

you could give www.andystrapz.com a look. I use this gear on my bike, because if needed it can be added to.

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Instead of doing the trunk thing, for long trips a <a href="https://www.aerostich.com/motofizz-camping-seat-bags-medium.html" target="_blank">Medium MotoFizz</a> will pack a bundle and expands to boot. You can either put on a rack or strap to the passenger seat. It's great for all the light bulky stuff that eats up a lot of space.

Pack smart and throw out half the $hit you think you'll need and I've done 2 1/2 week trips with just saddle bags and MotoFizz.
+1 If it doesn't fit in the medium and the side bags, I don't need it.

... I put the (waterproof) Seattle Sports Dry bag duffel in my Givi Top Case...
Do you use the small or medium for this? After riding in 400+ miles of rain home from NAFO I found out my GIVI is NOT water proof. I am looking for a dry bag to fit in there.

I too have accumulated a large assortment of bags - most are now resting comfortably on a garage shelf. I try to pack light whenever I tour and the Givi top case & two side bags are usually enough room. However whenever I pack my photography gear everything changes. I use this T-bag for those trips when I realy need a lot of extra room. That said, I always find it a major pia having a large bag on the passenger seat when mounting / dismounting. Even though I have bags that are either waterproof or have waterproof flies I tend to put stuff in there that won't matter if it gets wet (laundry, rain gear etc). I guess it comes down to personal preference & how much crap you want to carry. My recent 9000 mile ride was easily done without any extra bags.