MAD Cruise Control Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Got around to installing my Motorcycle Accessories Division (MAD) manual cruise control today. I had previously purchased a Vista Cruise but did not like the idea of drilling / screwing into the throttle housing. The MAD unit requires no mods.

Parts List:

PreInstall.jpg

Two pins bracket the throttle housing to keep the CC from rotating. Also in this pix note the ~.5" white nylon spacer on the end to allow the grip full coverage. The right grip is now .5" longer than the left. This is front pin.

Pin_Front.jpg

Rear pin:

Pin_Back.jpg

Completed install:

Completed.jpg

As an aside, Bill, the owner of MAD, is quite the character. When I called, a voice simply replied 'hello'.. not MAD motorcycle products or the like, just 'hello'. Bill sounds like an older guy who is working out of his garage/shop. He doesn't take credit cards, so he just sent me the CC with my promise to get a check in the mail. How often does that happen anymore?

The CC is exceptionally well made, the instructions detailed. All in all, a great product.

Cost and contact info. might be worthwhile for those who are interested...

Very nice install job! :thumbsup:

Looks more like a throttle lock than a cruise control, no? I already have one that needs to go so my right control unit can move out so the V-Strom guard no longer interferes with the throttle return action :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that is the "cam lock". None of the pictures on the web-site really look like yours.

It looks like a quality piece - I might be interested. I want to be sure you have used it and find it to work well first. Also, does it interfere with hitting the starter button? It looks like it could be in the direct line where you use your thumb with your hand on the grip for pushing the starter button.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that is the "cam lock". None of the pictures on the web-site really look like yours.
It looks like a quality piece - I might be interested. I want to be sure you have used it and find it to work well first. Also, does it interfere with hitting the starter button? It looks like it could be in the direct line where you use your thumb with your hand on the grip for pushing the starter button.

Thanks for posting.
It does work well, at least based upon a whopping 50 miles worth! You do have to make a bigger 'C' out of your thumb to get to the starter button but it's not really an issue.

Thanks for posting.
It does work well, at least based upon a whopping 50 miles worth! You do have to make a bigger 'C' out of your thumb to get to the starter button but it's not really an issue.
Not when you have a hand like FJRocha. :)

FJRocha_150x150.jpg

Thanks for posting.
It was a nice day today after work so put 125+ miles on the 'long way home'. Great ride. Changed my glasses en-route while holding steady speed :D

I think you'll be happy if you get one.

I also purchased the MADCO RIDER CRUISE. I have a terrible time removing the rubber grips. It is a 2007 FJR. How did you remove the grips?

Thanks

Got around to installing my Motorcycle Accessories Division (MAD) manual cruise control today. I had previously purchased a Vista Cruise but did not like the idea of drilling / screwing into the throttle housing. The MAD unit requires no mods.
Parts List:

PreInstall.jpg

Two pins bracket the throttle housing to keep the CC from rotating. Also in this pix note the ~.5" white nylon spacer on the end to allow the grip full coverage. The right grip is now .5" longer than the left. This is front pin.

Pin_Front.jpg

Rear pin:

Pin_Back.jpg

Completed install:

Completed.jpg

As an aside, Bill, the owner of MAD, is quite the character. When I called, a voice simply replied 'hello'.. not MAD motorcycle products or the like, just 'hello'. Bill sounds like an older guy who is working out of his garage/shop. He doesn't take credit cards, so he just sent me the CC with my promise to get a check in the mail. How often does that happen anymore?

The CC is exceptionally well made, the instructions detailed. All in all, a great product.

the easiest way to get the grips off, is to use some compressed air.

stick the nozle of the air gun under the edge of the grip.

blast some air in there, and the grip will come straight off.

jason