Madco Throttle Lock Binding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
I have read lots of posts about stiff throttle springs and the multitude of solutions. I seemed not to have this problem. Without swapping the tube or disconnecting the spring, I was easily able to hold my throttle in place. "Bunch of wimps," I thought to myself, flexing my mighty forearms.

Then yesterday, while doing some minor service, I gave my throttle some experimental twists. Clearly, something was wrong. With the engine off, I twisted full throttle and let go. The spring did not return the throttle back at all! It just sat there... stuck full open as if the throttle lock was engaged. Some more tests led me to the conclusion that my Madco Cam Lock Sport throttle lock was binding on the throttle tube, and no amount of adjustment was fixing it. After careful application of the Scientific Method, I deflected the grip flange with my fingers and directed the smallest possible squirt of WD40 as close to the base of the lock assembly as I could get. Voila! Probem solved! My throttle snaps off quite sharply, thank you very much...and the Madco is working better than ever. (Still my favorite farkle.)

Now... umm... I think I need to do something about this hard-to-hold-open throttle!!!