magnetic drain plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
Has anyone hear of a magnetic drain plug? Some cars have it, but I was wondering if anyone came across one that would fit FJR.

Has anyone hear of a magnetic drain plug? Some cars have it, but I was wondering if anyone came across one that would fit FJR.
FjrSki,

There is one in the Rear Drive that fits the Oil plug as well. I just bought one and it works wonderfully. Not cheap though.

Part number: 90340-14004-00 PLUG, STRAIGHT SCREW

Last edited by a moderator:
FjrSki,

There is one in the Rear Drive that fits the Oil plug as well. I just bought one and it works wonderfully. Not cheap though.

90340-14004-00 PLUG, STRAIGHT SCREW is the Yamaha part number and description. Like 03HiYoSilver says, It's the rear drive plug, fits perfect in the engine drain. University Motors is the place to order, and while you're at it, get a bunch of the other fasteners you keep losing. Or will lose. DAMHIK. :blink:

I called Ron Ayers and I was told that 90340-14004-00 does not have a magnet. Are they incorrect?

FJRSki -

go on the Yamaha web site - pull up the parts fiche for your bike - then look at the diagram and parts listing titled "DRVE SHAFT" remember, you are looking for the rear end plug - not the engine plug.

The part number listed for item #28 on the fiche is 90340-14004-00 PLUG, STRAIGHT SCREW.

I purchased one of this part number, and it has a magnet in it.

EDIT TO ADD PIC:

231964384-O.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, the next time you go over to a friend's house with the FJR you pull out their rear drive shaft drain plug and take it home with you.

Besides being much cheaper, avoiding shipping costs, and now having a spare........it's highly entertaining to watch your friend scratch his head around a pool of oil and say, "Damn. I accidentally must have bought a Bimmer." :blink:

The O.P. may be interested in one of these...

ss-oil-filter-magnet1.jpg

It's called a FilterMAG. Its a series of strong magnets that attach to the side of the spin on oil filter. The idea is to pull the iron particles out of the oil stream before they pass through the filter medium. They claim particles as low as 2 microns are attracted. This is what it looks like from the inside of a spent oil filter canister...

100_0354.jpg

I've had one attached to the side of all my spin on filters for years. I make it a habit to cut into my filters to see what type of particles gets trapped in the pleats. Since running the FilterMag I also get a chance to monitor how heavy the iron particles accumulate against the side of the can. I think its a bit more effective than the magnet oil bolt I also installed.

The size that fits our spin on filter is the SS250.

smile.gif

Brodie

The Op should buy one of the fancy polished aluminum rad fans, and be sure to cut off the excessive weight of the three mount bolts on the Olins shock....

Hey dip Shite! Chrome,or Polish, makes everything faster!

If you can get to a Harbor Freight store, they have a 10 pak of "supermagnets" that are about the size of a watch battery, for $1.49/pkg, you won't believe how strong they are. Just stick one on the end of the oil drain plug. It won't go anywhere. Use them only with aluminun oil pans so they stay attached to the steel oil plug. Use the rest for refrigerator magnets.

I ordered one when I got my blown rim parts from boats.net. I put it in no issues with my oil change. We will see if it catches anything worth mentioning the next oil change. I said what the hell when I saw the price and figured it is only money. Since it does attract sludge from the FD it should attract sludge as a drain bolt in the oil pan.

I can not see it picking up something the oil filter does not catch but you never know. And if I ever see chunks at least I know I have an issue, especially if it is not gray sludge but larger shiny stuff.