Mainstand trolley for shifting the FJR round the garage. Design help please.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
I have a new garage built just to keep the bike in...and some other stuff.

My problem is that it only has one door and it is tagged onto the back of my existing garage, so reversing the bike out is no longer an option. I need to be able to spin the bike on its main stand and also to be able to move it diagonally into the corner.

I plan to make a trolley. I will use some half inch plate about 18 inches by 6. This will be the platform for the mainstand. I will weld to the corners some brackets that will take substantial castors. These will be raised up so that the half inch plate almost skims the floor with the bike on it. By doing this I will not have to lift the bike much more than I do when putting it on its mainstand normally. (Which is not a problem to me).

My question is this. Does anyone already have such a device, or plans/pictures for one?

If not I will post a cutting list and pictures of my contraption at a later date....patent pending of course!

I have a new garage built just to keep the bike in...and some other stuff.
My problem is that it only has one door and it is tagged onto the back of my existing garage, so reversing the bike out is no longer an option. I need to be able to spin the bike on its main stand and also to be able to move it diagonally into the corner.

I plan to make a trolley. I will use some half inch plate about 18 inches by 6. This will be the platform for the mainstand. I will weld to the corners some brackets that will take substantial castors. These will be raised up so that the half inch plate almost skims the floor with the bike on it. By doing this I will not have to lift the bike much more than I do when putting it on its mainstand normally. (Which is not a problem to me).

My question is this. Does anyone already have such a device, or plans/pictures for one?

If not I will post a cutting list and pictures of my contraption at a later date....patent pending of course!
https://www.harborfreight.com/

These are what I use. Got 'em at Home Depot or Lowes, forgot which one. I think they cost $10-15 apiece. Once I have them under the bike I can move it in any direction I want.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

The ones I have are rated for around 300 lbs. each. I've been using them for about a year now to move my Trophy around in a very confined space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real men do it like this:

Hey admins... why can't we embed videos? It's 2007, ya know... :p

For years I lived in a house with a narrow garage at the bottom of a downhill driveway, with shelves and my roll-away on one side wall. I got an aluminum blank for a stop sign, put the centrer stand on it, and spun the bike around very easily. It worked fine, and cost nothing. Of course, you can spend $100-$200 for essentially the same thing . . .

Chris

All great ideas lads, the problem is that I also have to get the bike into a corner diagonally from where it comes into the garage. This would mean 7-point to and fro session in limited space. This would be a real pain in the butt every time I want to take the thing out. Ideally I need to be able to roll the bike around on the stand. The products shown above have given me some ideas. Thanks.

Found exactly the right thing on ebay
DOLLY.jpg

£60 though, so I will copy it. Thanks for the help folks.

Aaron from Legal Speeding was demoing something exactly like that at the Internatonal Motorcycle Show in Houston this past weekend.

Park-n-move

One thing for sure, once you come up with a fine design and then go out to purchase the needed materials I think you will have a heart attack because of the price of steel products you will need, unless you have access to some free steel or scrap steel you can re-use. I don't just jump on things from Harbor freight until I see them for myself and figure if it will work and will it stand up to the abuse I put things through. The $70.00 or $80.00 bucks for the Harbor Freight dolly is chump change when you start finding how much the materials will cost you. If you have access to a nice welder and some scrap pieces of metal you can certainly have exactly what you need buying the already fabricated dolly. Just beef that thing up and in no time and a lot less money you'll have a dolly to whip your bike around in tight spaces.

I've seen this same basic dolly shown but made in the USA for right around $300.00 in the Eastwood Catalog and Northern Tool and Equipment Catalog. For the life of me I just can't understand how China can buy scrap from the USA, melt it down, and build something out of it, and then ship it back to the USA and sell it for less than we can make it here??? But after all of that if you want to save yourself some money, Harbor Freight has it for a lot less.