Major shake up on the world stage for Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
Go get 'em Ben!!!!!!!!

Yamaha will have an all-American (and all-Texan) Tech3 MotoGP team with Ben joining Colin Edwards.

Cal Crutchlow will be joining Toseland in WSBK for an all-Brit World Superbike team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go get 'em Ben!!!!!!!!Yamaha will have an all-American (and all-Texan) Tech3 MotoGP team with Ben joining Colin Edwards.

Cal Crutchlow will be joining Toseland in WSBK for an all-Brit World Superbike team.
He's getting to bring his crew chief and mechanic as well.

Spies stated, “I want to thank Yamaha globally for their faith in me. They have treated me like royalty! Yamaha just recently allowed me to rethink my contract for 2010-2011; I did sign for WSB for 2010 but after Indianapolis I began thinking of the competition and my age, versus waiting until 2011.”
“Now I have two challenges, to complete this year giving my best and to move towards new goals in MotoGP. Herve Poncharal at Tech 3 is showing his support by allowing me to come on board with my Crew Chief Tom Houseworth and Gregory Wood, my mechanic, who have both been with me since my AMA days. We will have learning curves to overcome next year but I am up for the new goal. I hope to have a good year and my goal is to try and stay in the top 6-8 which, given the talented line up, will be a tall order.
Can't wait to see them at Indy next year. I wonder if Tech 3 is offically changed to Team Texas?! :yahoo:

Go Team Texas!

I've been a huge fan since his early AMA days , should be interesting to see Ben and Valentino mixing it up

No - they aren't changing their name, rather, the spelling of the state is being changed to Techsas.
Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Now if they could just get their AMA team up to snuff.....sigh.
I'd say Josh is well on his way to stepping up to the top. Let's hope he sticks around!!!!!!

No - they aren't changing their name, rather, the spelling of the state is being changed to Techsas.
:lol:

That's going to be a fun team to root for.

But will we have no 'murcans to root for in WSBK? Will Hopper ride again?
Haven't heard anything lately...would be great if he's back on the Honda next year. Too early to tell. He showed promise - someone will want him.

I think for anyone following WSBK/GP this isn't a huge shock. Ben's been tearing up WSBK and Toseland had had an awful year in GP. I think this is also a move for 2011. Both Rossi and Lorenzo are up for new contracts at the end of hte 2010 season and my guess is that Yamaha is thinking one or both will leave. With the new "rookie" rules if Spies waited to move he could not ride a factory bike till 2012, this way he will be in a place to take a factory seat in 2011 if one or both of the top Yamaha riders leave.

I think for anyone following WSBK/GP this isn't a huge shock. Ben's been tearing up WSBK and Toseland had had an awful year in GP. I think this is also a move for 2011. Both Rossi and Lorenzo are up for new contracts at the end of hte 2010 season and my guess is that Yamaha is thinking one or both will leave. With the new "rookie" rules if Spies waited to move he could not ride a factory bike till 2012, this way he will be in a place to take a factory seat in 2011 if one or both of the top Yamaha riders leave.

Didn't realize there was that rookie rule, that's interesting.

I think after 2010 a lot will be happening with all those contracts expiring...

Looking forward to Team Texas. haha. I like Edwards a lot, Spies is missing some personality, but his riding speaks for itself. And I guess of all the states I've lived in, I've spent the most time in Texas....

I still want Haga to win WSBK tho, he deserves it....

Great news! I got so bored watching the Spies - Mladin show every weekend. But when Spies joined WSBK, wow! What a pleasure this year has been watching him hand their lunch to all those more experienced world-stage racers. It's gonna be great seeing him on MotoGP! (And how about that video on how he strategizes new tracks! And I thought he didn't have a sense of humor. )

:lol:

That's going to be a fun team to root for.

But will we have no 'murcans to root for in WSBK? Will Hopper ride again?
Warning: Graphic!!! Hopper had a bit of a problem with the pin in his wrist and they had to take it out early. You would think one of the top orthopedic surgeons who works on many of the top participants in motorsports would have a decent set of tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYtHT5yrj_I

Err..Hopper is not that much a mercan, been living in England for years if my facts are correct. Never thought he was that good anyway and I think it's been too many crashes by now for him to be a contender. Perhaps someone from... dare I say AMA, would go to WSBK

Glad to see another US rider in the field, although I'm sorry to see JT go (made for some interesting coverage on BBC). Hopefully Spies can break up the Rossi/Lorenzo show that has developed this season.