Making an old jacket waterproof again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
I have an old (perhaps 15 years) Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket. I have kept the jacket in very good condition and it had only been worn during cold weather. Having been in Florida for several years now, some seasons have passed where the jacket was never brought out of the closet. So I was wearing it a few weeks back, anticipating some cooler and wet weather. On the commute home from the office, it began to rain steadily. When I got home, I was shocked to discover that I was wet inside the jacket in several locations. I double checked all the vents and closures. Everything was buttoned up tight. I was grumbling to a friend the other day about having to invest in another touring jacket, when he suggested trying to re-treat the jacket with some type of waterproofing spray.

So, have any of you gone down this road? If so, how did it work? I was extremely pleased when I resoled my boots and got new life out of them. Would love to do the same with my jacket.

I just recoated my gear with 303 By subrella and tested it this last Sat after the Seattle MC show and happy to say I didn't get wet anywhere.

As my buddy pan points out, 303 is a good product both for waterproofing and it provides UV protection. I use the 303 Products on my Cycle Port summer gear. You can also check out products from Nikwax as they have some good wash-in stuff too. Don't forget to visit a local canvas shop and see what products they stock.

--G

I washed and re-proofed all my kit earlier this year.

I washed it in the machine with plain soap flakes, the gave it another cycle with fresh water to make sure all the soap is out, then washed in the Nikwax.

it worked a treat

+1 on the Nikwax.

I use it as a annual treatment on the Aerostich, and I ride to work every day, except on the ice. Then I ride the XL500R with studs.

I just did my Kilimanjaro jacket and HT pants with Revivex, which my wife got from Aerostich for xmas a year or two back. Says to wash the garment, spray it with the stuff generously, then throw it in the dryer for 60 mins. I opted not to wash it, I hosed it down outside. Seems to work pretty well, but i haven't been in a downpour again to really test it. Snow was bad enough yesterday getting home.

There are two major things I believe in water proof-iness. The treatment as described including Nikwax and a variety of other wash in and spray on items.

But, the other is that gear sometimes wear through the waterproof membrane on the interior of the garment. Aerostich, for example, offers a service where they go in and tape those spots....they just did my Darien with about 60,000 miles of use including several around the neck and shoulder area. All the chemical treatments won't fix those kind of leaky spots. Perhaps you have some in your jacket.

Thanks everyone! Good points all. I'll take a look at these products. I have put a Revit Defender jacket on my Christmas list, but I don't think Mrs. Clause is down with that. :)

I tried the wash in Nikwax on my HT pants and Kilimanjaro II jacket...no go. Guess the faric is too worn. I ended up buying new gear. The old gear lasted me about 6 years of fairly heavy use.

Nikwax is a good way to restore DWR coatings. You can also buy seam sealant and fix leaks near zippers, pockets, shoulder seams etc. Both products are available at REI and other outdoor stores. For really bad weather, I just throw rain gear over the ride jacket. Nothing wrogh with carrying some lightweight Frogg Toggs as an extra barrier. Its not high fashion, but it is functional.

Might be worth spending $5 on a can of waterproofer (I like CampDry which also works great on boots), but if the waterproof membrane (GoreTex or whatever) is shot, then you'll be needing a new jacket. Or a big plastic trash bag.

pete

I've washed my opaque (non-mesh) riding jackets several times with SimpleGreen and a pressure washer. Let it dry thoroughly and apply one of the spray-on silicone waterproof agents available at outdoor/sporting good departments. Works great for me and the waterproofing lasts nearly a year.

The guys in the Pacific NorthWet are the true experts on rain gear and waterproofing. That's about all they ever get to ride in.

:(

I have used both 3M and the 303 spray with great results to keep jacket materials from letting the constant drizzle through year after year.

If the seams are really worn (as some others have experienced here), and the Nikwax doesn't do it, I would probably squeeze some good old boot wax in there - clear paste of course, but it might still discolor the garment.

The lace-up army boots aren't waterproof either, until you put ample amounts of polish on there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not true Jeff, sometimes we get to ride in snow.... :)
...I don't ever recall riding *in* the snow. But we do get close once in awhile!

DSC01173.jpg

Good luck with the waterproofing!

--G

Not true Jeff, sometimes we get to ride in snow.... :)
...I don't ever recall riding *in* the snow. But we do get close once in awhile!

DSC01173.jpg

Good luck with the waterproofing!

--G
Northwet snow rider checking in here! :yahoo:

Okay, maybe not when the roads are completely white, but I have had to scrape snow off my FJR seat before the ride home and there's been a few times riding with snow falling (but not cold enough to stick) and people thinking I'm even crazier than they thought. :crazy:

But on topic, I have to give a +1 to Nikwax wash in waterproofer. It's an annual treatment for my Gore-tex gear like my ski shell and Aerostich riding gear. And as Iggy mentioned, I had Aerostich send me a roll of Gore-tex heat seam seal tape that I ironed onto worn spots in my Darien AD1 pants.