Manic Salamander Throttle Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool SPU. They are also just as pricey as a TM. They look more generic than bike specific, I wonder how they'd work on the FJR. I know on mine the nut inside the bar is potted and will not come out.

I'm not sure about the TM or these but the stock bar ends are steel not aluminum and heavier thus being a better counter weight. I wonder if these are too light.

I only have the bar end weights.

I remember something about not using the expandable fasteners with aluminum bars. They don't recomend, for safety issues.

Good company. Send them an E-mail, and ask.

ShinyPartsUp said:
Pretty cool SPU. They are also just as pricey as a TM. They look more generic than bike specific, I wonder how they'd work on the FJR. I know on mine the nut inside the bar is potted and will not come out.
I'm not sure about the TM or these but the stock bar ends are steel not aluminum and heavier thus being a better counter weight. I wonder if these are too light.

I sent an email asking about weight and if both sides weigh the same. I'll let you know.....

I only have the bar end weights.
I remember something about not using the expandable fasteners with aluminum bars. They don't recomend, for safety issues.

Good company. Send them an E-mail, and ask.

I hadn't heard this, but I will email.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TM are S/S and the rubber isolator (nut) will pull out of your FJR's bar without destroying it, I have 'em on mine which I moved over from the R1. I have the Manic heavy's on the R1 which are S/S also. TM comes with a puller to remove the isolator. I assume the Manic will too!

I have this new TM from Manic Salamander. It works ok, and of course doubles as bar weights.

This thing is all "plug-n-play" not "pulling" required to fit.

Unlike the actual/original TM, this unit is adjusted once, at installation, there after you simply do a 1/2 twist to engage it (it uses a coiled up spring inside). The unit works by pushing against the end of the grip. During installation you adjust the required pressure/force the TM will use using internal washers, you obviously can't make it too tight, so that you can over-ride the TM if necessary. I have not disabled any throttle springs, so my setup will at times slowly drop speed, but not by much. IMHO aside from the strength in the throttle, i think the type of grip will also lead to varying results.

I am generally satisfied with this unit, primarily i guess because it is a 1/2 click to engage vs. twisting and turning required using the original TM.

PS. be careful NOT to follow the torque settings for the bar-end bolts, i can't remember what they were but i know they must have been wrong/typo because i am fairly sure you'd snap the bolts if you tried to apply them.

JamesK;Which one did you buy for the FJR, the 7/8?
There is only one choice for the FJR (so just specify that you want the Throttel Lock), since this TM mounts like a bar-end weight (does not fit inside the bar), using the 6mm hex screw. The TM is engaged with a 1/4 turn towards the rider and dis-engaged with a 1/4 turn away from the rider.

Uwt019.jpg

JamesK;Which one did you buy for the FJR, the 7/8?
There is only one choice for the FJR (so just specify that you want the Throttel Lock), since this TM mounts like a bar-end weight (does not fit inside the bar), using the 6mm hex screw. The TM is engaged with a 1/4 turn towards the rider and dis-engaged with a 1/4 turn away from the rider.

Uwt019.jpg

James, are you sure it is the same product/version? Looks different than on the Manic Salamander websiteas shown here:

7-8in_throttle_lock_stainless_off_6.jpg

James K

They look nice. Do they sit closer to the bar then factory ones or is there still a gap ?

I have a set of Top Gun ends they are nice, & heavy but I wonder if these work better because they touch the bar ?

James, are you sure it is the same product/version? Looks different than on the Manic Salamander websiteas shown here:
7-8in_throttle_lock_stainless_off_6.jpg
SPU;

I PM'd James and he says that they have not upgraded their website, but they do have the ones that he shows in the pix. I have an E-mail I sent to Manic and asked a few questions. I'm hoping to here back from them today or tomorrow. I guess I could call them too if I really wanted an answer fast.

SPU;

I PM'd James and he says that they have not upgraded their website, but they do have the ones that he shows in the pix. I have an E-mail I sent to Manic and asked a few questions. I'm hoping to here back from them today or tomorrow. I guess I could call them too if I really wanted an answer fast.

Thanks, I have a couple emails in as well. I actually like James' iteration better because there is more area to grab with gloves on.

I got a response from Paul Ashman, whose email to me follows:

"They are available by phone order. They are not on the web yet. Working on that.

$115, plus shipping. The recommended ones for FJR1300 are 1 lb per side and look like above photo. There are smaller cylindrical ones $100 also available that resemble the 8mm throttle lock for Kawasaki on the web.

The throttle lock is within a fraction of an ounce of the other side weight.

Call 763 234 7242. We may play phone tag a little, I work this alone except for shipping.

-Paul"

The photo in the email was the same as supplied by JamesK in the thread above. I hope this helps people decide. I just might give it a shot.

James KThey look nice. Do they sit closer to the bar then factory ones or is there still a gap ?

I have a set of Top Gun ends they are nice, & heavy but I wonder if these work better because they touch the bar ?

A.C. yes these seat right up against the grip, well the TM (RHS) obviously does, and the LHS only has maybe a 2mm gap, but looks flush on mine because i have grip puppies installed. Sorry the pics are bit blurry.

RHS

IMG_4580.jpg

LHS

IMG_4582.jpg

SPU;

I got the same E-mail today from Paul.

James;

Thanks for all your help on this, I like this better than the TM. I also like the fact that they are heavy and that helps dampen vibration. :yahoo:

SPU;I got the same E-mail today from Paul.

James;

Thanks for all your help on this, I like this better than the TM. I also like the fact that they are heavy and that helps dampen vibration. :yahoo:
And until the whole CC100 issue on GENII bikes is resolved by Hal and gang, I think this is a conservative and reasonable way to go for some relief. I've been using a throttlerocker, but want something with more flexibility.

P.S. Thanks James.

Latest posts