Maps for riding across the country. Suggestions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOF

Reaction score
I am planning a ride to the west coast this summer from Michigan. I am planning mostly to camp and just meander my way on back roads, no major highways if I can avoid them. I am looking for suggestions for maps that I can carry with me and keep in a small tank bag map pocket while I am riding.

One thing I was thinking of would be to buy the state maps as I hit each state or buy them now so I can plan. Is there anything else out there that anyone has used while traveling that they liked. I have a GPS but I want to be able to look at the big picture. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

Kind of spendy for the only task, but I had AAA for one year and accumulated a set of state maps as well as several Camping books and also a map for the Western U.S. and Eastern U.S. It was about $90 for the year.

Another alternative includes taking a laptop with Microsoft Street & Trips installed for daily planning.

I usually use some Gazetter Map books and a motorcycleroads website for investigating good mcy roads. I usually get planning assistance from MS S&T. I then use the state maps for a markup to put on the tank bag. Kind of "old-fashioned" I know.

I buy a Rand Highway Map Book of the US, and tear out the ones I need. They fit well in the tank bag map holder, but lack in detail. I shop local for the freebies (Chamber of Commerce, etc) for detail stuff.

+1 on AAA. I bring a USA map and relevant state maps for each day's detail. I also use their tour books to help plan before departure. All a good value for the price of a membership.

I also use all of the above to preplan and upload a route on the GPS mapsource software.

I usually use some Gazetter Map books and a motorcycleroads website for investigating good mcy roads. I usually get planning assistance from MS S&T. I then use the state maps for a markup to put on the tank bag. Kind of "old-fashioned" I know.

You always have the bestest maps ever.... I know this because you are telling where to go... :lol:

In a nice way.

Streets and Trips is nice to plan. You can print them off into tank bag size. Then the GPS never gets you lost and as you go along pick up/ buy state maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on state tourism website map request

also +1 on stopping at the 1st tourist center (but they're usually only on the high traffic roads...)

As mentioned by others, I usually try to go to the websites of the states I'm planning to be in or close to (just in case :) , but be sure to give yourself plenty of time- for the Reno trip I wanted a CA map. They really want you to download a map, in sections, from their site, but after some time you can get to a site to have them send you one. That was in May, & I'm still waiting. UT & NV were a couple of weeks. MO was 2 days (I'm in KS). Many will send you 2 or 3 if you ask, & I find that handy so the S.O. can figure out where I am (as she dosen't often pay much attention to the details of the trip untill I'm on the road). And I like not having batteries fail on my maps :) .

James

I get the odd AAA map but if you look carefully, they are often missing some detail. And it's usually that really good, back roads type detail that's missing. The ones that I get here in Vancouver appear to be made by Rand McNalley. On one trip, I had a fellow with some local knowledge showing me some roads on the map and that's when I learned how much detail was missing. Many tourist center maps also miss a lot of the detail we all like.

I just buy good Rand McNalley or Mapart maps. I get them ahead of time and study them, do some research on the web and write notes on the maps and Hilite possible routes while I'm still at home.

Maps are cheaper than gas so I spend some money, get them ahead of time, and study the details.

+1 on everything mentioned above. In addition I go to Barnes and Noble and buy Michelin Maps. They tend to have more detail than the other maps. In conjunction with a hard copy of maps, I use my GPS and never get lost anymore. On long trips I bring a laptop to coordinate between GPS software and my GPS. Laptop is also a nice way to check weather and download pics and email a few friends and family members.

I wish I was headed out for a trip right now.

I joined Good Sams Cub (membership only $19/year) back when I had a travel trailer - but the best thing out of Good Sams is a Travel Life Directory listing all camping in the country, rating each campground with address and phone numbers. I travel alone on long trips on my FJR and I like the predictability of KOA Campgrounds when in an area I feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

All the ideas above are good - maps/gps/etc......and I have also found "special nice campsites" by talking to campers along the way - most are eager to tell you of the good and bad camping they are experiencing.

Have a great trip - I am planning a similar trip from Jacksonville, Florida to California next Spring on the FJR. :)

www.goodsamclub.com

Last edited by a moderator: