Matching your Givi lock to the bike key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
I saw this quite a while back and I can't find it now, but even though it's a rerun, I thought I'd post it. I don't know why I waited so long to do this, as the simplicity of the single key is an amazing difference in my riding exprience, but I was suddenly motivated by the Givi key breaking out of its plastic head leaving me with what looked like a broken tooth that I had to make sure I didn't lose. My case is an E52 so I can't speak for the other models, but I'd bet they're similar, if not actually the same.

I have the advantage of having a locksmith as a brother-in-law, so I asked him what he needed. He said if the key goes in, the lock can be matched to it.

The lock cylinder was surprisingly easy to remove from the case. There are four Philips screws that hold the plastic cover which holds the lock cylinder, shown in this picture:

screws.jpg

With the key in the unlocked position remove the cover, pulling it out at the bottom and sliding down:

cover.jpg

What's left looks like this, and is not retained. It may fall out, so here's a picture of how it should go back. ;) I retained it by putting the top two screws back in just far enough to poke through the steel plate. It wouldn't hurt to pull the big red button and clean up in there, it's probably pretty gritty. There's a spring and plate on the inside end of the button, don't lose them.

remainder.jpg

Here's the c-clip you have to remove to get the cylinder out, but be ready to catch the ball and spring circled. It won't fly across the room or anything, but it'll be loose, so don't let it roll away down the sewer drain or something.

c-clip.jpg

The lock cylinder will fall out now, and this, along with your bike key, is all the locksmith needs.

lockcylinder.jpg

To reassemble, put the cylinder in the lock without the key in, put the spring and ball in place, orient the plate as shown, put the backing plate on and snap the clip into place.

Reassembly.jpg

To put the cover back onto the case, you need to insert the key and turn it to the unlocked position. Fasten the screws, and it's done. The bike and case now use the same key, just like "real" Yamaha cases.

Any thought as to whether I can swap out the lock cylinder for the Yamaha one? I have the bike-keyed lock cylinder that came with it in case you got the Yamaha top case. I have the Givi 46, but the set-up looks basically the same.

You can probably answer the question by telling me how far your Yamaha key goes into the Givi cylider. If it's the same distance as the hardbags, I may be able to just swap lock cylinders.

Great idea! I just got rid of the nuisance second key due to the [inevitable?] ignition switch failure and now you've got me psyched to do the same with my Givi top case. Would you happen to know if the spare lock cylinder could be used to replace the Givi cylinder?-looking at your pics they look similar.

I have the advantage of having a locksmith as a brother-in-law, so I asked him what he needed. He said if the key goes in, the lock can be matched to it.
wfooshee, thanks that sounds like a great idea. Can you pls let us know how complex of a job/the level of skill required from the locksmith is it to re-key the GIVI cylinder. As you mentioned your locksmith is family so would try, from my experience with the service people here a typical guy would be just as likely butcher the job up and give up if its "too hard"...

Yamaha cylinder will not fit. Bike key only goes about halfway into the Givi lock.

Once the lock is in hand, it's a tremendously easy re-key for anybody claiming to be a locksmith. If one tells you he can't, don't ever call him for anything else, and make sure everybody you know hears about it. A lot of their business (besides trying so hard to be first in the Yellow Pages) is reference by word of mouth.

It can be done but you need a lathe and mill to do it.
Brodie
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it would be easier to re-key the GIVI lock. I've re-keyed some home locks. It's actually not hard if you buy the right set. With the key in the cylinder, you just drop in the spacers until you find one that fits flush. Granted that was a one-sided application. I would guess any reasonable locksmith would have the right spacers on hand and could re-key that cylinder in a matter of a couple minutes.

Well done Wfooshee!!

I hated carrying two keys every time I used my E52. After reading your post today I removed my lock cylinder and it only took a couple of minutes. Planning on having it re-keyed tomorrow.

I'm amazed at how easy this was. Now looking forward to getting even more enjoyment from my FJR..

Thanks!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done but you need a lathe and mill to do it.
Brodie
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it would be easier to re-key the GIVI lock. I've re-keyed some home locks. It's actually not hard if you buy the right set. With the key in the cylinder, you just drop in the spacers until you find one that fits flush. Granted that was a one-sided application. I would guess any reasonable locksmith would have the right spacers on hand and could re-key that cylinder in a matter of a couple minutes.
Even though this is a two-sided key, the spacers alternate, one fits on side of the key, the next fits the other, and so on. In other words it's no different than a single-sided key, just has doodads sticking out both sides of the lock.

Just removed the lock cylinder for a V46; it was indeed easy. There are just two phillips-head screws to undo, then the whole assembly pops off the case. Then it's the same as for the E52; remove the retaining clip and the lock cylinder comes out (possibly along with a spring and ball-bearing so you have to watch for that). In my case the Yamaha key goes right in the Givi lock cylinder so rekeying it shouldn't be a problem.

Well I paid a locksmith $15 to rekey the lock, but he gave up, claiming it couldn't be done because the key was too loose in the lock (the keyed portion of the Yamaha key is longer than the keyed portion of the Givi key) but he wouldn't refund me the $15. :( So I paid $15 for nothing.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is a competent locksmith able to adjust things so the key can't be rocked up and down in the lock? Doing so messes up the wafers and doesn't allow the lock to work. I'm definitely not paying anyone another cent unless they successfully rekey the lock.

The key is loose in mine, and can rock a bit, but it works. Took my bro-in-law less than 10 minutes. Maybe actually 5.

Like I said, the key is able to rock up and down, but when pointed straight into the lock, not tilted, it turns just fine. There aren't any side grooves to hold the key in place, so it rocks. No big deal. I think he couldn't find the right wafers and gave you a story.

The key is loose in mine, and can rock a bit, but it works. Took my bro-in-law less than 10 minutes. Maybe actually 5.
Like I said, the key is able to rock up and down, but when pointed straight into the lock, not tilted, it turns just fine. There aren't any side grooves to hold the key in place, so it rocks. No big deal. I think he couldn't find the right wafers and gave you a story.
OK I just got it successfully rekeyed, but when attempting to reinstall the lock assembly in the Givi case, the latch on the bottom (which holds the case to the motorcycle) fell out, and I can't figure out how it goes back in. Can anyone post pictures of that?

EDIT: Nevermind, the latch sticks out of the mounting plate, not the topcase. Got mixed up.

Heh! The one thing I didn't photograph, and you gotta go drop it out....

Which Givi? On my E52 that big red button just slides out, and I didn't go into the actual latch, so I'm not really sure.

Well I paid a locksmith $15 to rekey the lock, but he gave up, claiming it couldn't be done because the key was too loose in the lock (the keyed portion of the Yamaha key is longer than the keyed portion of the Givi key) but he wouldn't refund me the $15. :( So I paid $15 for nothing.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Is a competent locksmith able to adjust things so the key can't be rocked up and down in the lock? Doing so messes up the wafers and doesn't allow the lock to work. I'm definitely not paying anyone another cent unless they successfully rekey the lock.

Wow $15!! :huh: I took mine to a local locksmith and he did for free.. I even offered to pay but he refused to take my money.

Correct, there is no way to make it a perfect fit. Mine works just fine. :yahoo:

Wow $15!! :huh: I took mine to a local locksmith and he did for free.. I even offered to pay but he refused to take my money.

Correct, there is no way to make it a perfect fit. Mine works just fine. :yahoo:
I found a locksmith that was able to do it but they charged $25. So in total I ended up paying $40. :(

I had the Givi lock rekeyed today. I had mine keyed to my Helmet Gaurdian lock. Unfortunately my helmet gaurdian lock did not have the same keyway as my Yamaha key so I would always be stuck with two keys. The helmet Gaurdian key fit the Givi trunk better with less play so I used that one instead.

This is a great mod and it only cost me $8.65 and that included two extra bike keys. Those Givi keys just don't hang correctly on the keychain so I am glad to get rid of it.