Maxi view spot mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimefjr

Reaction score
Well if you are like me you can't see what is behind you with the stock GenII mirrors...but you love the look of the stock mirrors over the FZ-1 mirrors...so I figured I would give spot mirrors a try before going to the FZ-1 mirrors...I found these Maxi view spot mirrors and they definitely work...I can finally see what is behind me and feel much safer...just go to www.maxiviewmirrors.com They were 29.95 for the pair. I was worried that I would not like the look of them on the mirrors but they look fine to me and worth the extra view behind me. I will definitely not need FZ-1 mirrors

002-3.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

Not saying they won't work for you, but I tried a pair of those 2 inch round stick on convex mirrors and found that the image was so small it made me look longer at it , which I reasoned was taking my eyes off what was in front of me longer than I cared to. At night they were totaly useless because you couldn't judge distance at all.

Second I had mine on the outboard of the stock mirrors like you do, and what I found was this was the area of the stock mirror that I had the best view with, but placing the little mirrors there just blocked it off.

I was going to try moving them to the inside bottom edge of the stock mirror , but I don't think they would work any better there.

Luckily I am a small guy and don't really have a problem seeing behind me with the stock mirrors, granted there is still a blind spot directly behind the bike, so my solution is to move around more in my lane and continue to scan both mirrors as usual. (I once wondered how many times I do this so I timed it one day. I quickly check the rearviews every 3 seconds)

I have also thought of getting a small set of bar end mirrors like these:

https://tinyurl.com/cjwy5z

But for the money, I could just get a set of the FZ mirrors and be done with it..............

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe they are charging $30 a pair for those. I bought five sets from an RV parts house 10 or 12 years ago for about $4 a pair. I like them so well I take them off a vehicle before I sell it and keep them for the next. The adjustability makes them far superior to the simple round or wedge mirrors.

Did a quick search and Amazon and a couple other sites have "factory seconds" for $7 each. Not as good a deal as I got, back then, but not too bad.

Those are the first ones I've seen that still articulate when mounted, cool idea. Somewhere I saw a small set of mirrors mounted on the upper edges of the windshield, which while not as far apart, puts them much closer to your face, in line of sight & increasing the image size. These look as if they might perhaps be mountable that way also.

I have used round spot mirrors mainly on work trucks and I knew I would not like them on the FJR mirrors...the difference on these is they are ob-long (2 1/2 x 1 3/4") and adjustable and I can't explain it but you can see better on these then the round ones...at first I was looking at them way to much, but that was just because I was excited I was seeing so much behind me...it is nice to know if there is a car riding your ass without having to crunch my shoulders and move my body to the side...I was spending way to much time trying to see and that was taking my eyes off the traffic in front of me way to much...these do work, money well spent for me anyway...its not about the money for me...I just love the look of these mirrors versus the FZ-1 mirrors. I do wish someone would make spacers that would set the stock mirrors out wider.

as an update, these mirrors are working really really good...they are incredible...after lots of freeway riding commuting to work I am much happier now and can see everything..when my front wheel is just ahead of the cars bumper next to me I can see the car in the mirror...lane changes are a breeze now and I can definitely see when someone is behind me, for some reason I can see even more behind me out of the right hand mirror...I never have to move my body in anyway to see now...and they are still on the mirror after high speed rides and they stay in adjustment...I would even put these on other bikes and have had lots of comment from other riders.

bsm-01_MED.jpg

I have adjustable 2" convex blind spot mirrors on my bikes on the lower, inside of the mirrors and like them very much.

A pair is like $5 at all the local auto parts stores. I push on the outer edge of each mirror to aim them down and far to the outside (left halfway between 6 and 9 o'clock, right halfway between 3 and 6 o'clock).

I think I may look into a set of those.

As an addition to the idea, I usually mount my convex mirrors on the inside edge of the mirror. That part of the mirror is already taken up with my shoulders anyway so I don't lose any of what little view I already have.

Also, in response to Knifemaker, convex mirrors aren't used to give a good undistorted view behind you, they just allow you to see that "something" is there.

I mounted these on the top outside of the mirror to get them as wide as possible for the best view possible to the rear...the mirror is wider then the mounting base, if they are where I have them they are actually wider then the stock mirror is for even more view behind...when I do use the stock mirrors, I tend to be using the inside widest part of the mirror...but every time I ride with these I can't imagine not having them.

I found the round articulating mirrors at Schucks for under $5.00. First I mounted them on the inside but found that they were useless in helping seeing anything behind me. I moved them to the outside and adjusted the stock mirror to almost max to the side (so the inside area didn't have any of the bike in it) and adjusted the round one so it would show what was behind. It works pretty well, I can see something coming up directly behind (yeah, distance is a little hard) and still have good view to the sides using the normal mirror area.

Just ordered them. They look better than any other ad-on I've seen so far. They are a bit over priced, but Its been bugging me more, and more lately that the FJR mirrors are barely usable. If I don't like them, I'll trash 'em.

I bought the same kinna thing for $4 at Crappy Tire up here in Canuckistan. They help, but I think the real solution will be a set of FZ1 mirrors. My rearward visibility went bye bye when I added the VStrom hand guards. I can still see either side behind me, but not directly behind me.

bsm-01_MED.jpg

I have adjustable 2" convex blind spot mirrors on my bikes on the lower, inside of the mirrors and like them very much.

A pair is like $5 at all the local auto parts stores. I push on the outer edge of each mirror to aim them down and far to the outside (left halfway between 6 and 9 o'clock, right halfway between 3 and 6 o'clock).
Yes, I have a Gen I and had the adjust convex mirrors on my stock mirrors.

Now I have gone to FZ1 mirrors and put them on those, as well.

The FZ1 mirrors are a no brainer and I consider them a must safety item; massively improvement farkle.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I found the round articulating mirrors at Schucks for under $5.00. First I mounted them on the inside but found that they were useless in helping seeing anything behind me. I moved them to the outside and adjusted the stock mirror to almost max to the side (so the inside area didn't have any of the bike in it) and adjusted the round one so it would show what was behind. It works pretty well, I can see something coming up directly behind (yeah, distance is a little hard) and still have good view to the sides using the normal mirror area.

Interesting. It sounds like you're using the convex mirrors for viewing behind you and the stock mirrors for the "blind spot". The setup I use is the opposite but, I must admit, I'm pretty sure there is a portion directly behind me that I can't see without moving around a little.