Maybe the GPS I’ve been hoping for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the subscripition price with XM.

I remember sonething like $99 a month for a Weather reciever. Don't quote me on that.

XM and Sirius recently merged. Don't fully know the outcome of that.

I've been wrong before. Just check before purchase.

Check the subscripition price with XM. I remember sonething like $99 a month for a Weather reciever. Don't quote me on that.

$30/month for the fisherman package, which has served me well on my 376C both in the truck and on the bike. It was the cheapest package with radar images.

David

The folks over at REI.com reduced the price on the ONIX 400 GPS again. So I decided to do a little more research on it. The lady I talked to at Bushnell made it sound like the base map that the 400 comes with isn’t very detailed, and the maps that you can order max out at 3 sq. mi. Though I’m not sure if we were understood each other regarding the max viewing area of those maps.

Anyway, the thing I was primarily interested in is the XM weather capability of the unit. I was able to zoom in on some of the "XM weather" images of the unit that were linked to the REI site, and realized, according to the scale shown on those images, if I read it correctly, that it can cover a considerable area. So, I decided to order one. I'm gonna give it a try.

Check the subscripition price with XM. I remember sonething like $99 a month for a Weather reciever. Don't quote me on that.

$30/month for the fisherman package, which has served me well on my 376C both in the truck and on the bike. It was the cheapest package with radar images.

David
The folks at REI.com have a link on the ONIX 400 product page that advertises the “XM NavWeather” for $9.95/month.

Oh, as a side note, I have no financial affiliation with either REI.com or Bushnell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a done deal yet. Justice Dept. ok'd the deal, but so far the FCC hasn't, and may not ever (we can only hope they don't).

I have the Sailor package on my 376c. Only slight differences between the two (wave height & direction, things like that). They also have a "Skywatch" package for $9.95 per month, but the radar features says it's "Radar Summary" vs. "High Res. Doppler Radar" on the Sailor & Fisherman packages. I'd love to know what the Radar Summary looks like. The Skywatch also is missing the Surface Analysis Weather Maps, which show high and low pressure fronts. Complete summary of features and pricing HERE.

Well, I don’t see the ONIX 400 on REI’s site today. From what I saw before they dropped the listing, there were two less than favorable reviews and one favorable review. Thought I’d give it a try anyway. The price was right at two C-notes and the fellow at REI that I talked to assured me they’d take it back-no problem-if I wasn’t satisfied with it. I’ve seen some of the brand name GPS “XM” antennas listed for more than I paid for the ONIX.

They also have a "Skywatch" package for $9.95 per month, but the radar features says it's "Radar Summary" vs. "High Res. Doppler Radar" on the Sailor & Fisherman packages.
I copy, and wonder if Skywatch is the same thing that the ONIX receives. If it is, even if the radar summary isn’t as sophisticated as the High Res it may yet be practical for certain applications. And I like the idea of the ONIX being a handheld.

I'd love to know what the Radar Summary looks like.
Me too. I couldn’t find a detailed definition of the differences between the High Res and the summary on their site. However, on another site, I read something about one of the differences being the time interval between refreshes of the weather data provided. As in five minutes vs. fifteen minutes, respectively. But, I didn’t see anything factual backing that up.

Received the GPS this past Thursday. The manufacturer’s package (mp) wasn’t sealed, the battery was already attached to the gps—which made for a difficult fit in the (mp), the lanyard was loose in the (mp), the screen had what appeared to be a long shallow surface scratch, and the power charging unit was missing. I was disappointed. Called the retailer within minutes of receiving the gps.

Their representative was courteous, emailed me a discount coupon, made arrangement for the gps to be returned to them—shipping at their expense, and agreed to give me a full refund for the gps and my shipping expense upon their receipt of the returned gps.

I don’t have any idea how well it would have worked or what the image(s) it would have displayed on the screen would have looked like; because I had no way to charge the battery.

The Zumo 550 sucks when it comes to the weather features!!!!

However, I do have weather setup on my Zumo. It supports forecast that include temp, wind, chance of precipitation, and basic weather (rain, sunny, cloudy, haze, etc.) That is pretty much all it supports. The good thing is it supports so little I don't pay XM for the service. I am on the off season fisherman package which is free. The office season package is designed to keep the service up and running during the break in fishing season.

I do pay for the XM radio service.

Latest posts