MC Cruise Control Relocation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thug

A shy retiring flower in a Thug's exterior
Reaction score
Howdy gang

For about 8 months now I have been wanting to change the position of the sending can unit that was fixed on the left hand side near the rear foot peg. The problem was I could not move my feet all that much and after a longish ride it became a little cramped so I decided to fit somewhere else.

I went inside (now remember this happened about 8 months ago) and retrieved a can of pineapple rings as it resembled the right girth of the can. I placed it under the seat and cool it fits. So 8 months go by and I am supposed t go down to Melbourne today but the weather is closing in (it's a 3 hour drive for me from here at my place). So I ring the Brothers MC up and tell them I am unable to make it which they were thankful for. Then I though Man... I should have a go at it myself and if I stuff it there is a good mechanic I go to he'll be able to fix it. So I did...No no not to the mechanic I had a go at it myself...

So it went form here... (daughters helped me in the demo)...

Fh01.jpg

To here!...

Th02.jpg

And a close up...despite the acute angle of the cable going back there are no problems... This was post test ride and as I am fat bastard you will note there is no kink or line mark in the vacuum hose

ANH1.jpg

A long shot from last year...My Tinted screen has been cut down since then to the original stock screen size

IMG_0324.jpg

A couple of things I was a little worried about. I had to pull the actuator apart to remove the can cable it was here I started to shit myself a little and then I had to undo the throttle cable assembly from under the tank! Now I'm really shitting myself for I know not what I was really doing as I had never done it before, yes, a virginesk episode. Never been a real bike tinkerer before just cars...always had enough money to pay others to do it maybe I'll change that so I can save more for FARKLES!

Anyhoo I put everything back together and held my breath. Then I started it up and low and behold it did! The revs were a little high so I adjusted that and the return was a little sluggish so I loosened the actuator spool cover a frag and that seemed to fix the sluggish throttle return. I then went out for a little blurb and it works just fine!

So there you go gang another happy customer...ME! And I saved myself approx $200 bucks (that about $3.20 US)

Cheers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute kids Thug!

I am suprised your using such a large canister for the vacuum. I did mine with a small fuel filter.

ps.

What shield is that in the pic? Me likey!

Yes they are!

The can also holds "electronic stuff" as well...It's just the cover you can take the cover off reveling a smaller package.

The screen was made by a dealer in Dubbo NSW over here. It was ok for a while but I decided to cut it back to the stock size because I liked some of the wind occasionally whereas with this baby pre cut down, had very little coming through. I couldn't tint the original so it cut this bugger.

Ciao

Great write-up. But somehow I'm thinking those two girls (seriously cute) are going to find a way to get that $200 out of you!!!