MCcruise on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRgeezer

Reaction score
Just finished putting on this Aussie cc on my new 06 and offer up these observations: Documentation is 1st rate install instructions are 48 pages with pics and/or drawings at every step. Quality a bit hard to judge at this point, but appears to be high. Cost is high, depending on currency exchange rate, at the time of purchase, mine about $570 US. I've put Audiovox cc on my 650 Vstrom and it probably cost around $150 when all was done. But I've been concerned about that little chain laying around waiting to get into mischief, especially on the FJR where space is even tighter than the Vstrom. So I talked myself into this unit instead of the AVcc, whas this the right decision, I guess time will tell.

The Audiovox on my Vstrom is slow to engage and maintain speed, but eventually does it, MCcc seems to respond much quickly and maintains speeds more accurately. The vaccum actuator does look suspiciously like the unit on the AVcc, but has an additional computer which appears to be programmed for m/c specific applications. Their speed sensor is a very clever soluition IMHO, it consists of a sensor mounted on the rear swing arm with tiny earth magnets placed INSIDE each of the mounting bolts of the rotor, hence needing no balancing. The amount of time MCcruise spends on documenting each and every model install I'm sure adds greatly to the cost. With the AVcc you do the R & D. (or get to stand on the shoulders of others who have do the heavy lifting for you!!!)

What makes this cc quite different from the AVcc is the use of separate cable to pull the throttle also no separate vacuum canister. Your grip cable goes to a box and when the throttle is twisted, rotates a cam device that pulls on the throttle. Their is no chain to worry about (although I've not heard from anyone having a issue with them). All this requires VERY carefull routing of the 3 cables: actuator, grip and throttle to maintain feel and reduce effort. With the high effort required on the 06 grip to begin with, careful attention is necessary. Although I didn't have a stock unit to compare with mine, effort seems to be on a par with stock. I VERY carefully lubed the cables with dri-slide several times to minimize drag which appeared to work. After installing everything the 1st time I went back and redid the cables to improve the feel. This week I'll do the spring release to improve further. Guess I'm somewhat "MonK"ish!

Technical help from the factory over the net and Spoiledbiker.com (where I bought it) has been outstanding. Frank and Tony with MCcruise were especially helpful with very technical explainations and advice. Everything has been considered and documented and no cutting required, really plug & play. I'm somewhat anal and it took me 2 weeks to install, working on it part time each day. Because this is so important to safety I was EXTREMELY carefull with all the mechanical parts of this install. I took this opportunity to do the heated grips, batt monitor and relay controlled fuse block at the same time, so this slowed progress. Joe @ spoiled biker says about 5 hours install, I'd say 10 is more like it depending how skilled and confident you are. There are significant test procedures to follow (if you care to) to afirm that the unit is ready for road testing, with the AVcc you just do a road test and hope it works ok.

If you order one, I'd suggest ordering the control unit with a top mount, which I didn't realize you could do until too late. The control unit is on the left grip mounting above or below the switch housing for turn signals. I got the bottom mount, by default, which interfered with my Engage tank bag, a top mount wouldn't have this problem. I found a way to mount it to the left bar down about 1/2 way to the triple clamp, not ideal, but workable.

I've got tendenitis in both both forearems so electronic cruise control is a must, but for you'all not aflicted, maybe a throttle rocker might do. I never did like a cruise which locks on the throttle, aka throttlemeister. The other ones that click off with a button or operation of the front brake I've never tried so maybe they'd be just fine.

I installed a MCcruise control on my 06, took me 6 hours non stop. One thing, if you have the Heli-bar triple clamp, you will need to order the top control mount or else it will hit the tank.

I installed a MCcruise control on my 06, took me 6 hours non stop. One thing, if you have the Heli-bar triple clamp, you will need to order the top control mount or else it will hit the tank.

I installed the MCCruise Control with the help of a friend who knows a lot about 12-volt wiring. It took me 8- 10 hours over the course of a week. I can also attest to excellent technical support from the Aussies and SpoiledBiker.com. The hardest part of the install for me was removing the OEM throttle cable and installing and adjusting the MCC throttle cable for proper tension. I got a little flustered doing the diagnostics when I couldn't get the clutch sensor to display the right LED readings, but reversed the wires to the throttle switch and solved the problem. I installed the Heli Competition triple clamp at the same time as I installed the cruise control. I discovered that the control pod (hanging down from the throttle handle) made contact with the tank. I ordered the risers from Heli, which solved that problem.

The MCCruise unit has worked flawlessly for me over the past 2000 miles, including a 1700 mile trip in Colorado, N. Mexico and Utah (although honestly I didn't get much chance to use it in the mountains). Maintains speed very well; if you punch the resume button when you are 10-15 mph below the setting, it doesn't jerk you forward, just nice steady acceleration up to the setting. All in all, an excellent product.

If you compare the FJR to an R1200RT, there are only a few major differences in equipment. Cruise control is one of them. Yes, the MCCruise control is expensive, but you can pay list for the FJR, install MCCruise, and you still have at least $5,000 less in the FJR than you would have paid for the Beemer.

Amen to that! I was going to wait for the BMW F800 ST but the cost I believe was going to be about what I did payed for the FJR and lots more power and with bags!

I installed the MCCruise Control with the help of a friend who knows a lot about 12-volt wiring. It took me 8- 10 hours over the course of a week. I can also attest to excellent technical support from the Aussies and SpoiledBiker.com. The hardest part of the install for me was removing the OEM throttle cable and installing and adjusting the MCC throttle cable for proper tension. I got a little flustered doing the diagnostics when I couldn't get the clutch sensor to display the right LED readings, but reversed the wires to the throttle switch and solved the problem. I installed the Heli Competition triple clamp at the same time as I installed the cruise control. I discovered that the control pod (hanging down from the throttle handle) made contact with the tank. I ordered the risers from Heli, which solved that problem.

The MCCruise unit has worked flawlessly for me over the past 2000 miles, including a 1700 mile trip in Colorado, N. Mexico and Utah (although honestly I didn't get much chance to use it in the mountains). Maintains speed very well; if you punch the resume button when you are 10-15 mph below the setting, it doesn't jerk you forward, just nice steady acceleration up to the setting. All in all, an excellent product.

If you compare the FJR to an R1200RT, there are only a few major differences in equipment. Cruise control is one of them. Yes, the MCCruise control is expensive, but you can pay list for the FJR, install MCCruise, and you still have at least $5,000 less in the FJR than you would have paid for the Beemer.

I am thinking about adding the audiovox cc but getting out to Smitty is a hike and a half. It is way above my pay grade in complexity to install myself and I was wondering if the guys that install the MCCruise were as high on it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cost difference seems substantial. The audiovox unit is less than $100. Smitty does the install in about 3 hours which means mere mortals could take 6-8 hours.

The cost difference seems substantial. The audiovox unit is less than $100. Smitty does the install in about 3 hours which means mere mortals could take 6-8 hours.
Understand the price difference MKO but Smitty is 1200 miles from me. I need the cruise control to go get the cruise control. I have looked at the install instructions for the AV unit and ... :dribble:

I'm with COTA on this, all we have to do is get 4 more "frugal" New Englanders to shoot the locks off their wallets and we can convince SMITTY to slide over this way for the installs.

I like the looks of the MCcruise and appreciate the write up.....good job FJRGEEZER.

I had one on my 05 and loved it. It all looks like a factory install. Works like a charm with no fear of jammed throttle cables. Have one on order now for my 07. Well worth the money in my opinion. +1 for Joe at Spoiled Biker.com.

Well, since I just completed my McCruise install and Helibar triple tree w/risers I thought I would give my "install" experiences.

The easiest part for me was unhooking the throttle cable and putting the carburettor (Australian for carburetor) in its place. The two little special tools worked well.

Having said that the only problem I had was hooking the "tachometer sensing wire" to the coil. The picture showed the wire being placed on the front coil. However the text said to pair it (patch it) with the grey wire with red stripe. This was on the rear coil on my bike. I'm pretty sure there was a mix-up because the right angle "double" spade clip worked just right on the front coil, but there was not enough room to put it on the rear coil without turning it around and putting it on backwards. (If that makes any sense to those that have done it.) When I initially tested the tachometer it didn't detect RPM's. When I switched to the rear coil it worked fine. The color code in the instruction was right, grey with red stripe.

All the diagnostic tests went well except I had to take more slack out of the carburetor cable.

The cruise control itself is fantastic. Holds speed very precisely. It even eliminated the "surging" I experience at cruising speed. Apparently it corrects to quickly and precisely it counteracts the surge! I still need to do a TBS. Now I don't have anything to remind me it needs to be done.

I'm looking forward to my trip to Park City with this unit. This will delay my purchase of a Goldwing by a few years, I hope.

It took me 3 days to install the McCruise and the Helibar T/C and risers. I think I wasted about 4-5 hours worrying/fixing non-existent problems.

Would I do it again.... :blink: :yahoo: Well the cheapest way would be to have Smitty put an Audiovox in. I do like the fact there is no "chain" in the engine bay. If it works as well in the mountains as it does on the flat I think I would do it again...In about half the time.

LC

I am thinking about adding the audiovox cc but getting out to Smitty is a hike and a half. It is way above my pay grade in complexity to install myself and I was wondering if the guys that install the MCCruise were as high on it now.

Yes, I am... I am used to using cruise control at work. I drive a big rig and don't see how I survived before they came out for trucks. 8-10 hr a day behind the wheel makes for a very tired throttle leg.

The McCruise is every bit as good as a factory cruise on a car, etc. Love it. :clapping: :yahoo: I use it on my 20 minute commute!!! I also put the Helibar triple tree and risers on and between the three I have full freedom to "move" my hands. The vibration through the handlebars is much reduced. Probably due to the triple clamp. I even took the Grip Puppies off! The weight on my wrists is much reduced and I can remove my hand (either one) for as long as I want when necessary to relieve any "tingling". Safety is the only consideration as to when, where and how long.

Now, some highway pegs :lol: and I'm ready for 800-1000 mile days. After all I used to do it in a truck when I was young and running three log books. Should be a piece of cake on a time machine like the FJR. B)

LC :yahoo: :clapping: :D