melted boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
This past saturday i went for a ride, 355 miles. During the course of it I was shifting my feet around and apparently was resting my heels on the exhaust midpipe. The left side has a big black spot where the rubber melted off my shoe, but the right side is squeeky clean. Anyway, I found these to put on to take care of it. Anyone use anything like this? Or is there another solution to burnt heels?

Ok, I tried post a pic, but not smart enough to figure it out, so try this link

https://www.speedzoneahead.com/fjrexhaustshields.htm

just right click on the image you want to place in the thread, click view image, copy .jpg url,

in the new thread just click insert image icon, and paste url....

fjrexhaustshield-top-pic-600p-111206a.jpg

--------------------I used to have a signature that that didn't follow the Forum Guidelines, #8 and had too large a graphic. But, now I have this sig until I reread the guidelines. You can bet that before I change it again I'll be extra careful to follow them!
the double that is amusing...

I have not had a problem with my front riding peg and would suggest a riding boot with low profile heels.

I did have this problem on the passenger peg area when my wife rode along with medium height heeled boots. (Not the first time.) Rather than do the crocidile dundee thing and cut them off with a large knife :angry2: , we headed immediately to the store and bought her some riding boots. The sticky black mess on the pipes was cleaned off with acetone on a slowly warming pipe with the bike idling. WD-40 works on less stuborn stains. Both are flamable so be careful. ;)

Thanks for all the info everyone. I learned 3 different things already, how to post a pic, how to clean the smudge off the pipe, and I can't remember what the 3rd is. Oh yea, another place to look for them.

The shoes I was wearing were completely flat soled, so height wasn't an issure with burning them.

I have these on my bike. They work great. They look good too IMHO. I can rest my heels on them if I feel like it with no melting. I particularly had the problem on the left side where the center stand would force my heel onto the pipe... now I don't need to think about it any more.

Last edited by a moderator: