Memorial Day Mods W-pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
Here are a few thinks Ive done so far.... Custom V1 / HID Low / HID High / air box mod / K&N / PC III / factory heated grips / battery tender / block off plates / few other small things...... Here are few pictures...

Block off plates

FJRmods18.jpg

Hella HID ballast right behind the light, fits great works awesome..... One on either side

FJRmods22.jpg

Front view with Baja HID, we made the hard ware and had it black powder coated

FJRmods25.jpg

front view

FJRmods29.jpg

Drive side air box mod with my little rain gutter (bottom below the intake hole) Help guide water along the bottom of the box and then let it flip off behind the box to try and help with water being ingested.

FJRmods4.jpg

Non drive side with the little rain gutter installed... help try to keep water from being ingested in a mega rain storm.

FJRmods6.jpg

"Low beam" HID with the low beam guards on them.... true low beam and then I took the factory adjustments and lowered them a bit more...

FJRmods9.jpg

The coolest thing I like is that I use the factory High beam / low beam switch to turn on and off the Baja design HID's... The 'Low beam' HID's now stay on all the time and when I flip the factory switch to High beem the Baja HID's come on... The low beams still have the factory timed delay and don't turn on until the engine has started just like a stock bike. Even the blue High beam dash light comes on to indicate that I have lit up the flame throwers... but the low beams don't turn off... this is all done with three Bosch relays... works AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I'd love to have some extra lighting capacity (& lighting) some day.

SWEET. One of these days I am going to find the $$ for Aux lighting. Then I have to figure out how to wire things.

Jax, I forgot to ask... are you planning to ride in a lot of water?

SWEET. One of these days I am going to find the $$ for Aux lighting. Then I have to figure out how to wire things.

There are a ton of lights out there that can help with lighting that arnt that expensive... I'm sure you know about them but check it out..... Wiring this set up was not that fun really but I knew what I wanted it to do and then made it work... :) If you ever have any questions about the front wiring and you need some help or suggestions feel free to ask, I just had my whole front harness torn apart... I know it "well" now.... :) LOL

Jax, I forgot to ask... are you planning to ride in a lot of water?

LOL... Ive been known to do some dumb stuff... IE, thinking other vehicles where submarines.. LOL

But seriously, I have other bikes that have a K&N with this type of set up. If you get caught out in the rain or a mega rain it will suck in water into the motor... I want the performance of the open air box but I would "like" to keep every drop out of the box in a heavy rain... The little rain gutters will just help... Anyone that has modded the factory air box will now get water in the box SOME DAY under some sort of circumstances, probably a heavy rain and going down the high-way...... Hell, cant I have my cake and eat it too ? LOL

Never mind, I just figured it out........ If it started to rain I will bring a BIG O' Zip Lock and wrap the WHOLE air box in a Zip Lock bag.... This will keep the rain out........ LOL Should work nice....LOL

Yeah, well hopefully you aren't going to need that Zip Lock at EOM. If you bring it, it won't rain soooo pack it please!

front view
FJRmods29.jpg

Even the blue High beam dash light comes on to indicate that I have lit up the [SIZE=14pt]flame throwers[/SIZE]...

A perfect term for those Solteks. I have mine wired separately from the stock lighting. I placed a tiny rocker switch in the left grip switch housing. I seldom have a need to use these lights, but when I do .... let the flames ignite.

front view
FJRmods29.jpg

Even the blue High beam dash light comes on to indicate that I have lit up the [SIZE=14pt]flame throwers[/SIZE]...

A perfect term for those Solteks. I have mine wired separately from the stock lighting. I placed a tiny rocker switch in the left grip switch housing. I seldom have a need to use these lights, but when I do .... let the flames ignite.

Amen my brotha ! ..... I had to think long and hard about that kind of 'coin' on lights..... But I really wanted them for the best safety, if there is such a thing... I also plan on touring the country during the life of this bike, and there are lots of dark places I want to see.... I think there great ! Do you have pictures of your set up.... maybe your switch and your lights..... ?

Amen my brotha ! ..... I had to think long and hard about that kind of 'coin' on lights..... But I really wanted them for the best safety, if there is such a thing... I also plan on touring the country during the life of this bike, and there are lots of dark places I want to see.... I think there great ! Do you have pictures of your set up.... maybe your switch and your lights..... ?
No One,

I haven't taken any photos of my Soltek set-up yet. I can describe everything for you later and find part numbers for the switch, wire type, and relay. I was fortunate that my '08 fairing has small vents right behind the Soltek mounting location for the power cables to fit through. No drilling or grommets needed. On one of the Solteks, I had to trade the locations of the light housing vent & power cable so that both light cables would mount symmetrical.

You will have to design & fabricate your own mounts since Skyway's website posts that his are no longer in stock. Once you decide about the mounts, everything else can be easily put together. The circuitry all depends on how you want your lights to function. I chose to keep my Soltek's circuitry separate from the stock headlights. Also, they are only functional when the key is 'on'.

I used a side-stand switch to obtain the correct plug terminal to fit into the windshield auto-retract circuit. This was for my 'switched' power to run my diode relay. As you have noticed from other FJR owners, there are multiple ways to wire up your lights.

If you choose to mount a smaller & lighter-weight light, you might consider the PHIDs. I mounted a set on a friend's 2000 Honda VFR. These are very bright too. The only drawback is that you have to find a location for the ballasts. The Solteks have self-contained ballasts.

A lot more info later if you need it.

No One,

I haven't taken any photos of my Soltek set-up yet. I can describe everything for you later and find part numbers for the switch, wire type, and relay. I was fortunate that my '08 fairing has small vents right behind the Soltek mounting location for the power cables to fit through. No drilling or grommets needed. On one of the Solteks, I had to trade the locations of the light housing vent & power cable so that both light cables would mount symmetrical.

You will have to design & fabricate your own mounts since Skyway's website posts that his are no longer in stock. Once you decide about the mounts, everything else can be easily put together. The circuitry all depends on how you want your lights to function. I chose to keep my Soltek's circuitry separate from the stock headlights. Also, they are only functional when the key is 'on'.

I used a side-stand switch to obtain the correct plug terminal to fit into the windshield auto-retract circuit. This was for my 'switched' power to run my diode relay. As you have noticed from other FJR owners, there are multiple ways to wire up your lights.

If you choose to mount a smaller & lighter-weight light, you might consider the PHIDs. I mounted a set on a friend's 2000 Honda VFR. These are very bright too. The only drawback is that you have to find a location for the ballasts. The Solteks have self-contained ballasts.

A lot more info later if you need it.

Thanks for the post, but I am the guy with the black 08 with the HID lights... That's my bike..... I already built everything and have them mounted. We just made the mounts in our shop... The whole set up is described in the first post! I love em...... :)

Thanks for the post, but I am the guy with the black 08 with the HID lights... [SIZE=12pt]That's my bike[/SIZE]..... I already built everything and have them mounted. We just made the mounts in our shop... The whole set up is described in the first post! I love em...... :)
Doooough .... Sorry, this is proof why I shouldn't post late at night. A.D.D. sufferer it seems.