Mesh-Tex vs Cycleport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendell

Reaction score
I currently have a First Gear MeshTex jacket. I don't have any riding pants yet and after reading many different threads on the board I have decided to get the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar pants.

My question is whether I should replace my jacket and get the Air Mesh Kevlar jacket as well.

I don't really want to spend that much on the jacket but it is worth it if it truly adds the amount of protection that it seems to from what I have read. What have others experienced with the Mesh-Tex as far as protection? Is the Cycleport stuff truly that much better? Obviously, I would rather spend the extra money now than have a jacket that is going to melt on me during an accident.

Thanks.

The Cycleport jacket's price pales in comparison to that of skin grafts. YMMV.

Don't fall off and you'll be just fine.

I loves my Cycleport gear (Air Mesh Kevlar). If you buy the jacket, pass on the insulated liner. I have one I'll give you. I use the Gore-Tex liner and different weights of Polar Fleece under to find cold weather comfort.

What have others experienced with the Mesh-Tex as far as protection? Is the Cycleport stuff truly that much better?
I can't comment on the Cycleport but the Mesh-Tex has more protection than it might appear. I know one rider who field tested one on a 40 yard slide and he didn't get a scratch under the jacket -- but the jacket was pretty chewed up in places. I have a Mesh-Tex but prefer the First Gear Kili Air because it is a 3/4 length jacket and has more protection than the Mesh-Tex. All that being said, if I were buying the Cycleport pants I would also get the Cycleport jacket.

All that being said, if I were buying the Cycleport pants I would also get the Cycleport jacket.
Plus, they zip together so the jacket won't roll up in a slide.
Call Cycleport, ask for Wayne, then ask him if he's ever seen how his stuff has weathered an actual slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a friend w/ the Cycleport mesh gear.... top & bottom. Really, really nice stuff. I'm aspiring to have that brand in my posession one day.

All that being said, if I were buying the Cycleport pants I would also get the Cycleport jacket.
Plus, they zip together so the jacket won't roll up in a slide.
Call Cycleport, ask for Wayne, then ask him if he's ever seen how his stuff has weathered an actual slide.

Note -- the jacket and pants only zip together on the waist cut jacket not the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar that is the longer touring length.

PTP

The Cycleport jacket's price pales in comparison to that of skin grafts. YMMV.
Don't fall off and you'll be just fine.

I loves my Cycleport gear (Air Mesh Kevlar). If you buy the jacket, pass on the insulated liner. I have one I'll give you. I use the Gore-Tex liner and different weights of Polar Fleece under to find cold weather comfort.
+1 on the jacket and the liner thought. I have the 3/4 length jacket which I love. I use the gore-tex liner and Gerbings.

I have the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar pants and absolutely love them. Make sure you get the added hip and thigh armor too.

Couple things: They take about 3 months from order date to delivery, so plan accordingly. I also requested for them to leave their silly MC patch on front and reflective stripes on the sides...off. I just wanted plain and simple black. Also make sure that they don’t oversize them too much. They are known to do that. Even after my request to make them more “pants“ than “over pants“ they are still a little oversized for my tastes but okay. They are great in the warm weather and when it cools just wear something underneath. Really cold weather than you will need a liner over the pants as well. Bottom line: I would buy them again. :thumbsup:

Toecutter, I see on the MotoPort web site that they sell the two-part Ultra II jacket liner for the ¾ and waist length jackets. You can buy the Aero-Tex liner alone for the waist length jacket. Is this the Gor-Tex liner that you use in combo with the fleece when necessary? TIA Ian, Iowa

Toecutter, I see on the MotoPort web site that they sell the two-part Ultra II jacket liner for the ¾ and waist length jackets. You can buy the Aero-Tex liner alone for the waist length jacket. Is this the Gor-Tex liner that you use in combo with the fleece when necessary? TIA Ian, Iowa
Yes, they've upgraded the Gore-Tex liner and now call it Aero-Tex.
I have the waist-length jacket, which zips to the pants.

I just ordered a set of the air-mesh kevlar in 3/4 length jacket this week. I'll report on it when it arrives. They're quoting 8 weeks build time right now on both jacket and pants.