Meter bulbs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AArnie

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, I've looked through the posts regarding number of bulbs required for the meter etc, but what I would like to know is, should the top segment of the speedometer be lit-up. (Say between ten-to & ten past). Mine does not seem to be lit.

Secondly, if this should be lit-up is the bulb behind the speedo guage/disk itself, or is it to one side - as the right hand side light is (ten past to twenty past)? What I mean is, so I need to remove the speedo dial to replace the bulb.

I have the front of the bike nearly all off, but don't want to go through the meter assembly unless I have to.

Regards,

AArnie

I have the extended warranty on my 2005. So far the glove box lock jammed... They replaced the entire unit. On order now is a complete TACH... it appears to have two internal bulds or LED... They are just replacing the complete unit under warranty. I expect the speedo has three in it.

Well, I decided to remove the dash anyway. Removed the front cover and loosened the two screws that hold in the speedo dial. Gently prised the cover up - couldn't remove it as the indicator didn't seem to want to be removed and I wasn't goning to force it - but couldn't see any bulbs or bulb sockets, so I guess there's no top bulb.

AArnie

It was discussed a few weeks ago. I know Skyway replaced all of his (Why not when you are already in there?) IIRC it requires taking the dash off. I'll see if I can find the post and provide a link.

Try this one

Still looking.......

This is the one, It also has links for the part numbers.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
AArnie, the dash should be completely lit up top to bottom. You will have to remove all the plastic and windshield mounts to get to the meter. There is no fast/easy way to access the bulbs, the meter housing needs to be free of the bike. I would say a 3 hour job start to finish for first time in.

Huge time saving tip - Leave the light cluster attached to the front fairing and remove them as one piece. Forget trying to access the screws way in front of the nose, it's not worth the hassle.