Metzler 880

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
My Z6 is showing cord at 5k miles after my 2k mile ride through VA/WV/NC/TN/KY mtns, what a ride!!

no interstate, all back roads.

Anyway I ride brisk, usually 10-30 mph over but not knee dragging so in an attempt to extend mileage I'm going to a Z6 front / ME 880 rear combo.

My local Yama dealer wanted $300 to install a Z6 for FJR.

I called my trusty Honda/Kawi dealer that I've used for years and he quoted $230 installed for Z6.

I then asked him about the Metzeler ME880 170/60VR-17 Rear and he said $170 installed.

I go for my 880 rear Sat, then will replace the front with another Z6 in a couple thousand miles when its worn out. I hope to get 8-10k out of the Z6 front / 880 rear combo.

I think I'm going to get a FJR service manual, bring it to my Honda guy and let them do any service I may need. I love my FJR but really like this Honda/Kawi dealer in Blairsville, GA (Depot Power Center).

Who knows maybe the new concours to replace the FJR someday or just add a ZX14 but I can't see getting rid of the FJR if it holds up well, I reallllllllly like it after having owend lots of bikes I just don't like getting rippped by the stealer.

Steve

Keep us posted on the 880. I have heard good things (mileage wise) and I, for one, am interested in some more rider input.

I just ordered a Shinko 009 Raven rear tire, so we'll experiment together. Ian, Iowa

I just ordered a Shinko 009 Raven rear tire, so we'll experiment together. Ian, Iowa
I have a set of those waiting in the wings. They were like...$154, including shipping.

Anyway I ride brisk, usually 10-30 mph over but not knee dragging so in an attempt to extend mileage I'm going to a Z6 front / ME 880 rear combo.My local Yama dealer wanted $300 to install a Z6 for FJR.

I called my trusty Honda/Kawi dealer that I've used for years and he quoted $230 installed for Z6.

I then asked him about the Metzeler ME880 170/60VR-17 Rear and he said $170 installed.

I go for my 880 rear Sat, then will replace the front with another Z6 in a couple thousand miles when its worn out. I hope to get 8-10k out of the Z6 front / 880 rear combo.

Steve
Yes. Please let us know how that works out for you. When I get done screwing around with these lousy Storms I have on now I'll be eyeballing the 880's hard.

A friend, entered in the 07 IBR, has them high on his list and may give them a try. Your input might turn out to be a late for him (mileage wise) butt sure wont hurt.

Thanks

Yes. Please let us know how that works out for you. When I get done screwing around with these lousy Storms I have on now I'll be eyeballing the 880's hard.A friend, entered in the 07 IBR, has them high on his list and may give them a try. Your input might turn out to be a late for him (mileage wise) butt sure wont hurt.

Thanks
Well your friend would not be the first to run a rear ME880 in the rear of an FJR for the IBR. The feedback I get is that it worked well. I have also been tempted to try one, but the images of tread separation of metzler tires keeps me away. Maybe the ME880 has a stellar record of safety?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Please let us know how that works out for you. When I get done screwing around with these lousy Storms I have on now I'll be eyeballing the 880's hard.A friend, entered in the 07 IBR, has them high on his list and may give them a try. Your input might turn out to be a late for him (mileage wise) butt sure wont hurt.

Thanks
Well your friend would not be the first to run a rear ME880 in the rear of an FJR for the IBR. The feedback I get is that it worked well. I have also been tempted to try one, but the images of tread separation of metzler tires keeps me away. Maybe the ME880 has a stellar record of safety?
Indeed. One of the images you may have seen was, in fact, a rear tire on his bike. However IIRC it wasn't an ME880.

after a few hundred miles, I'm really like the 880 rear. It handles as well as the Z6 riding "brisk". The front Z6 is not looking/handling well after 5k miles. I'm getting bad front end wobble, it started with the rear Z6 still on so its not the new 880. I'm thinking I may add a front 880 as well and see how the combo does.

Steve