Michelin Pilot Sport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil_henchman

Reaction score
I replaced my POS Metzler Z4 with a Pilot Sport on the front. I put in about 350 miles over the weekend and wow what an improvement! Pushed it hard on Hwy 49 & 193 and it falls right into turns sticks like glue. Did a little high speed slabbing and then cruised around the delta. It does have a low speed wobble that's especially noticable on straight line deceleration. With both hands on the bars it's not noticable at all, with one hand you can barely feel it, with no hands it will scare the f**k out of you. Very happy with tthis tire, I hope it lasts a while. I got 10,000 miles out of the Z4 by the way. I have a pretty new Z4 on the rear that I'll be replacing with a Pilot Road when the time comes.

I replaced my POS Metzler Z4 with a Pilot Sport on the front. I put in about 350 miles over the weekend and wow what an improvement! Pushed it hard on Hwy 49 & 193 and it falls right into turns sticks like glue. Did a little high speed slabbing and then cruised around the delta. It does have a low speed wobble that's especially noticable on straight line deceleration. With both hands on the bars it's not noticable at all, with one hand you can barely feel it, with no hands it will scare the f**k out of you. Very happy with tthis tire, I hope it lasts a while. I got 10,000 miles out of the Z4 by the way. I have a pretty new Z4 on the rear that I'll be replacing with a Pilot Road when the time comes.
I've run through three sets of Sport front / Road rear combos. Great set of tires, excellent grip, and averaged about 6500 miles a set. YMMV :D

If you like the turn in of the Sport, wait till you slip on the Avons! B)

With both hands on the bars it's not noticable at all, with one hand you can barely feel it, with no hands it will scare the f**k out of you.
No doubt! Had the same issue with my Pilot Sports. I speculated the sidewalls couldn't handle the FJR's weight in the decel circumstance. Anyway, ended up with a couple sets of Avon STs. Happy overall but not the stick & corning confidence of the PS. I hear the new PilotPowers are better.

A popular combo on the XX forum is a Metzler SportTec front & Z6 out back. I'm trying that on my XX & if I like, I'll try on the FJR. Side note: I ran PilotRoads on my old XX - hated 'em. Felt greasy & I lost my cornering confidence. I'll never use the PRs again. I also had PilotSports on the XX & they were great, just lacked mileage.

BMW I hear has gone to the Continental Road Attacks. Everything I read about them is great. I have read articles by Cayon Chassers and they did a two rear on front extensive test. Feedback from 2 bikes. If it's right for BMW is it ok for the FJR. I am posting the link but am going to start a thread. Only slip in 8000 miles by a heavy throttle hand was under hard power in the wet over a painted line. In the 70's to 90's all I ran were the Conti Twins and Lved them.TJ

https://canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/road-attack.php