michelin PR2's and Dynabeads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DailyCommuter

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Reaction score
So I had said in another thread a while back that I would be willing to try these out. So to follow up,...

I had the tires mounted and had them balanced in the conventional way a couple weeks ago. (lead weights). I wanted to get some miles on them with regular weights on them before I switched to the beads, because how else would I know if the beads were better same or worse.

So the beads arrived in the mail the other day, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get into it after working 16 hours and starting the job at 1 AM, but what the hell? Sleep is for pussies anyway!

I took off the stick on lead weights and poured the beads in. About 1.2 ounces in the front and 2 ounces in the rear. (they come pre-measured in the tube).

At this point I had about 12 hundred miles on these tires since they were mounted.

With the lead weights they were smooth, I was very happy to have the new tires on, I ride in the rain a little more than I like to, but gas is so $$$$ :eek: lately. I had about 12,500 miles on the original tires. So all these spring showers were really making my butt pucker!

Now I know there will be non believers and neigh-sayers out there but the beads ARE BETTER! There is certainly less buzz at highway speeds(most of my riding is highway to and from work) so I know I am not imagining it.

There are two things to point out about my findings, the skill and equipment involved in balancing the tires with the lead weights is definitely a factor in the end result. Meaning that someone could have balanced them better than they were perhaps; with the lead ones., I noticed that he had used 2 1 ounce weights in one spot on the front and a 3/4 ounce weight on another spot on it. That alone makes me think he could have done better. (the original tires had only a single weight on each of them.)

The second thing to point out is the fact that these beads will keep the tires balanced properly for their entire life. If you are into changing your own tires, or want to be, the beads allow you to accomplish the job without worrying about buying balancing equipment on top of the changing equipment cost. Also the Dynabeads people claim that because the tires stay balanced for their whole life that will extend their life. That remains to be seen.

I know I won't be competing with Jeff Ashe when it comes to eating up tires, but I do ride consistantly over 800 miles a week, and I will add to this thread with mileage updates, wear patterns, and whether that smoothness holds out for mile after mile.

I would love it if for the sake of science some-one else with the same tires would like to chime in on their experience with the tires assuming they are using lead weights.

I know for right now I am sold on using beads, now if I could just convince the wife! :eek: , .....thought I would save bustanut joker the trouble on that one, but I doubt it will matter!

I'll keep you all posted... On the tires, not the wife; that's nunya business! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using some generic beads that I got from another forum member, and they've been great!

So I had said in another thread a while back that I would be willing to try these out. So to follow up,...
I had the tires mounted and had them balanced in the conventional way a couple weeks ago. (lead weights). I wanted to get some miles on them with regular weights on them before I switched to the beads, because how else would I know if the beads were better same or worse.

So the beads arrived in the mail the other day, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get into it after working 16 hours and starting the job at 1 AM, but what the hell? Sleep is for pussies anyway!

I took off the stick on lead weights and poured the beads in. About 1.2 ounces in the front and 2 ounces in the rear. (they come pre-measured in the tube).

At this point I had about 12 hundred miles on these tires since they were mounted.

With the lead weights they were smooth, I was very happy to have the new tires on, I ride in the rain a little more than I like to, but gas is so $$$$ :eek: lately. I had about 12,500 miles on the original tires. So all these spring showers were really making my butt pucker!

Now I know there will be non believers and neigh-sayers out there but the beads ARE BETTER! There is certainly less buzz at highway speeds(most of my riding is highway to and from work) so I know I am not imagining it.

There are two things to point out about my findings, the skill and equipment involved in balancing the tires with the lead weights is definitely a factor in the end result. Meaning that someone could have balanced them better than they were perhaps; with the lead ones., I noticed that he had used 2 1 ounce weights in one spot on the front and a 3/4 ounce weight on another spot on it. That alone makes me think he could have done better. (the original tires had only a single weight on each of them.)

The second thing to point out is the fact that these beads will keep the tires balanced properly for their entire life. If you are into changing your own tires, or want to be, the beads allow you to accomplish the job without worrying about buying balancing equipment on top of the changing equipment cost. Also the Dynabeads people claim that because the tires stay balanced for their whole life that will extend their life. That remains to be seen.

I know I won't be competing with Jeff Ashe when it comes to eating up tires, but I do ride consistantly over 800 miles a week, and I will add to this thread with mileage updates, wear patterns, and whether that smoothness holds out for mile after mile.

I would love it if for the sake of science some-one else with the same tires would like to chime in on their experience with the tires assuming they are using lead weights.

I know for right now I am sold on using beads, now if I could just convince the wife! :eek: , .....thought I would save bustanut joker the trouble on that one, but I doubt it will matter!

I'll keep you all posted... On the tires, not the wife; that's nunya business! :p

Checked out their website...in the application chart, they show the 120 front tire to take 1 oz...you used 1.2 oz...which amount is correct? I want to order, but want to make sure I get the correct amount. Thanks.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

The instructions that came with them said the same thing as the application chart you're referring to, however the instructions also stated that this wa a starting point and you could put more in if needed. So I put the little extra that was in the tube into the front tire based on what they used for lead to balance it. They say in the directions that you should use at least as many ounces as the existing lead weights. But since I suspect that the kid used too much lead to start with I am happy with the results from the beads. I bought the 3 ounce kit, and there was a little extra in the tube so in the front in went. I hope that helps you southern cruiser.

Question..?
Do these beads effect interior mounted tire pressure sensors??

WW
I have never seen the sensor for an internal tire pressure system, but I don't think I would risk it. The DynaBeads are very small (about 1mm diameter) cermaic beads and they could plug any openings in the sensor. However, if the sensor has no openeings that can get clogged, there may not be a problem.

Bye the way...it is MUCH easier to pour the DynaBeads into the tire before you set the bead, rather than pour them down the valve stem. My experience with pouring them down the valve stem turned out to be a pain in the ass.

Well, I'm pretty sure you can't use the beads along with Ride-On sealant in a tire, and given a choice , I'd rather have the Ride-On in there than tiny beads that do nothing but balance the tire.

From my expericance, using Ride-On does the same thing the beads do also.....

KM

Not to bust on your tire changer of choice, but it's easy to see why anything would be better than your improperly weighted front that is described.

In short, if there is weight in more than one spot per tire, somethings not right.

Not saying the beads are not good........

Shane

I just mounted a set of PR2's two weeks ago. The front needed NO weights to balance and the rear needed one small (3/4") of lead tape to balance it out. This speaks to the high quality of these tires. Maybe I'm just plain lucky but whatever the reason I'm damn happy that I don't need to run any shit in the tires or hang a bunch of lead on the wheels.

Exactly how are these beads supposed to work?

It seems to me that if a tire is just slightly out of round (and they all are, to a degree), the beads should try to end up at the point that is the farthest from the rotational axis. That may or may not help or not help the balance.

I am not saying that I do not think these work, just asking how???? Confused in Lousyana....

Exactly how are these beads supposed to work?

It seems to me that if a tire is just slightly out of round (and they all are, to a degree), the beads should try to end up at the point that is the farthest from the rotational axis. That may or may not help or not help the balance.

I am not saying that I do not think these work, just asking how???? Confused in Lousyana....
How they work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Dyna beads work great. I have used the exclusively for the last several years in 2 different cruiser bikes. My experience has been that tires run much smoother with the beads in place instead of wheel weights. Not sure if that's because they balance more accurately or because the balancing job with the wheel weights was off slightly. Either way, I have noticed smoother running tires with Dyna Beads and I plan to give them a try on the FJR as well.

I used the Dynabeads when I installed a set of PR 2s. Front wheel vibrated horribly, especially at highway speeds. Got a Marc Parnes balancer, pulled the wheel, dumped the beads, and used standards weights. No more vibrations. And no more Dynabeads, ever.

There seem to be two camps on this product. People either swear by them or swear at them. I am thinking on trying some out on my DR. Since my FJR is smooth I will leave it alone.

When I changed out my buddy's tires last season they were all stuck to the inside of the front tire. Rear was fine.

After seeing that "Thanks but no Thanks".

What was causing the sticking in the front tire? Some natural stickiness in the tire? Some tire goop he used? Something else???