Midland 75-822

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaycen

Reaction score
Ok, ive read that some of you guys are using midland cb radios. Either through Autocomm or starcomm. How does the PTT work on the midland. Is it a standard plug, i've never seen one of these PTT's on these portable radios.

I have the 75-822, use it into a J&M Integrator. The radio seems pretty standard to me. There are two connections on the top of the radio, one marked speaker, one mic, each a different size. They look very standard in comparison to the amateur radio equipment I used to play with. I have seen a lot of other radios, of all sorts, that use the same plugs in the same configuration. FRS radios seem to be the exception...........

Hope that helps.

Bryan

Jaycen,

Autocom and Starcom make a specific PTT switch to mount to the bar. I modified mine and mounted oi so I push it "sideways" with my index finger.

Midland 75-820 (same as 822) and Autocom Active 7.

Leartech,

Midland FRS radios are identical in the plug layout. I have the 75-820 and a Midland GXT-400 mounted side by side. All I do is unplug one and plug in the other. Works perfect. More than I can say for the Autocom PTT though. I think there's something wrong internally. It's been sticking lately.

So the PTT button listed on www.sportbikeeffects.com will work with the midland?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, ive read that some of you guys are using midland cb radios. Either through Autocomm or starcomm. How does the PTT work on the midland. Is it a standard plug, i've never seen one of these PTT's on these portable radios.
I use the Midland 75-822 with a Starcom1 Advance. The PTT switch is mounted on the left handlebar and the wire runs to the Starcom unit. There is a plug (2 pin to the radio/din plug to the Starcom) that connects the Midland to the Starcom. The PTT is NOT directly connected to the Midland.

Have I clouded the issue more?

I use the Midland 75-822 with a Starcom1 Advance. The PTT switch is mounted on the left handlebar and the wire runs to the Starcom unit. There is a plug (2 pin to the radio/din plug to the Starcom) that connects the Midland to the Starcom. The PTT is NOT directly connected to the Midland.

YEP!!....anyways, i'll be ordering the starcomm advanced and midland and PTT and connector cable from Midland to starcom today. Thanks for the help

Don't suppose you know that part number for the cable that connects the Midland to the Starcom, do ya? I have a pair of GXT500s that I would like to use with the Starcom I plan on ordering. I didn't see a Midland specific cable on their site...

Don't suppose you know that part number for the cable that connects the Midland to the Starcom, do ya? I have a pair of GXT500s that I would like to use with the Starcom I plan on ordering. I didn't see a Midland specific cable on their site...
CAB-02 is the part number i found to go from the midland to the starcom

I don't know why you couldn't find it.

Took me about 30 seconds...... part# is CAB-02. It fits a few different radios. GXT500 is the same layout as my GXT400's.

NOTE> if you have charging problems with the batteries that came with the Midlands, dump them and get rechargeable AA's. The AA's will last much longer too.

I don't know why you couldn't find it.Took me about 30 seconds...... part# is CAB-02. It fits a few different radios. GXT500 is the same layout as my GXT400's.
Probably because I'm an idiot. Thanks for finding it for my retarded self! :crazy:

NOTE> if you have charging problems with the batteries that came with the Midlands, dump them and get rechargeable AA's. The AA's will last much longer too.
Cool! Thanks for the advice!

I don't know why you couldn't find it.Took me about 30 seconds...... part# is CAB-02. It fits a few different radios. GXT500 is the same layout as my GXT400's.
Probably because I'm an idiot. Thanks for finding it for my retarded self! :crazy:

You're welcome. Yeah, the heads up was because those Midland batteries just plain SUCK! I use Duracell 2650 ma hr rechargeables. It now lasts all day and then some. Couldn't get the Midlands to take a full charge.

You're welcome. Yeah, the heads up was because those Midland batteries just plain SUCK! I use Duracell 2650 ma hr rechargeables. It now lasts all day and then some. Couldn't get the Midlands to take a full charge.
why not use the vehicle adaptor and run 12v to it?

I have the Cobra 38wxst cb run through autocom and work excellant.. Need to have 2 prong cobra plug to worky..

I have push to talk button on right handle bar.. I can have it set to PTT, VOX, or on all the time

JD

why not use the vehicle adaptor and run 12v to it?
And where may I find such an item?? Never knew they made one.

My 822 came with the vehicle adapter................I guess you would find it in the box. LOL

Bryan

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the vehicle adapter was for the GMRS radio. I already have two spare car adapters for the 822.

I have the same setup (Starcom1 Advance & Midland 75-822) with a CAB-02 and PTT and a whip antenna on the tail of the bike. Problem is, I can't transmit. I push the PTT and no transmit icon appears on the 75-822. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

Edit- it now looks like a loose PTT cable connection at the Starcomm unit- I flex it around and the transmit icon appears :unsure:

This is gonna be functional on a rainy night? :glare:

Is there a tweak that can tighten up this connection?