Modifying a sidestand on a lowered bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ock913

Reaction score
I previously had an 02 Suzuki Katana 750 prior to my 05 FJR. The Kat has basically sat in my garage since the arrival of the FJR. I never got rid of it because the wife kept saying that she would ride it if I lowered it. Well, a couple years later, I finally bought the lowering links and dropped the rear end to a level that she can comfortably handle. The problem now is that with the bike sitting lower, it is nearly impossible to get on the centerstand and the side stand stands the bike almost straight up......not convincing me it is stable. I could heat up the original and bend it a little, but then it will stick out from the side of the bike or I can see if anyone can reliably cut/weld and shorten it. What do ya'll think?

Last edited by a moderator:
just cut it off a half inch above the foot of the stand.. grind it flat and reweld a new plate"foot" on....1/2 inch is just a guess I'd start taking smaller bits off at a time cus it doesn't take much to affect the lean angle

I think I'd just tough out the center stand. I believe someone suggested backing/riding onto a board under the rear wheel, THEN putting it on the center stand.

After lowering my AE, I ground down the stop on the side stand. No heating/bending/welding required. I used a 4 inch side grinder, but a dremel would probably work just fine... although slower. It doesn't take much grinding AT ALL.

Let us know what you end up doing.

You could look into getting a taller wife... ;)
Someone likes to walk that fine line....& we won't mention any names (GunMD).... ock913 I think you'd both be happier if you operated both on the side & centre stand so they are both functional with the bikes new ride height...unless of course you think your wife might have another growth spurt :derisive: ....

You could look into getting a taller wife... ;)
Someone likes to walk that fine line....& we won't mention any names (GunMD).... ock913 I think you'd both be happier if you operated both on the side & centre stand so they are both functional with the bikes new ride height...unless of course you think your wife might have another growth spurt :derisive: ....
Oh, I guess I should qualify my answer. I'm one of those guys that never uses the center stand unless I'm working on the bike. Old habits die hard... too many bikes sans center stands. And my bike is kinda tough to get up on the center stand, but I manage... so far. It's just a matter of fine technique and brute force. ;)

By all means, if you wife likes to use the center stand on a regular riding basis (as many riders do), I guess the welding torch IS in order. Still, the side grinder is an easy fix to the side leaner.

Well the side stand was the first problem I noticed that I would need to correct and I brought it up here that evening. However, the next day I took it out for a ride to see if all was OK. I had a couple errands to run, so why not. From a red light, making a 90 degree left turn, my lean angle caused the center stand to drag during the turn (strike two). I got to my first stop, the ATM machine at the bank. Bank parking lot has some very small speed bumps in the parking lot................... yep, bottomed out (strike three).

The lowering links offered 2 positions, a 1" or 2" drop and I had gone the full 2" for her benefit. Just for trial, I raised it up a notch to the 1" position and this is where it will stay. The side stand now positions the bike at a stable lean and getting it on the center stand is not nearly as difficult as the 2" position. I had the wife throw a leg over and although not as comfortable for her as the lower position, she is willing to compromise. She can at least reach the floor in this position, maybe not stand flat footed. I can't stand flat footed on my FJR either so I told her that her confidence would build as she adjusted to the height. I think it will work out just fine this way, but if she decides that the height is still an issue, I can work it out in the seat instead of the lowering links.

I appreciate the input though. Thank you .........

I lowered mine 7/8 with the koubalinks set the rear shock to hard, ground some off the sidestand stop and all is fine. Lowering 2 inches is definitely drastic. The best solution for additional comfort when stopped is definitely work the seat. It's either a do it yourself or have someone like Sargent refit the seat.

I lowered mine 7/8 with the koubalinks set the rear shock to hard, ground some off the sidestand stop and all is fine. Lowering 2 inches is definitely drastic. The best solution for additional comfort when stopped is definitely work the seat. It's either a do it yourself or have someone like Sargent refit the seat.
Working the seat will remove some height, but will also lessen the comfort of the seat. I had a custom seat put on my FJR and was given the choice of a low seat, or a long distance comfort seat. I opted for the latter, and used Kouba Links to take an inch off my bike.

DH ground the side stand peg down, allowing it to go further over. The center stand is only used for maintenance, and is used as someone described earlier, with a block of wood under the back tire.

Jill