Modular Helmet Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Well if money was no object I would buy the new Schuberth C3 but that is not the case. Everything I buy I buy in pairs for both my wife and I so we have the same gear. We currently own the Shoei Multitec and love it but it has some issues for me that did not become an issue until years later. I am interested in getting some real world feedback on the Nolan N103 helmet. I love the option of having a removable interior so I can wash it when needed (something I do not have in my Multitec). I also like the idea of the visor and the low cost. I have spent many hours at webBikeWorld reading but I wanted to see what you have to say. I know many hear own the Nolan and hope to get some good feedback before I make purchase.

Just finished wiring up a pair of Nolan N103 for wife and I. I'll report back after I've had a chance to find the issues with it.

Like you, currently in a MultiTec. I love mine, even though I can't take out the liner. This is my 2nd MultiTec (first one was stolen).

I've also used the Caberg (Jarrow) flip up for a year or so. For me, the chin bar rested on my chin tight enough that my jaw would be sore after several hours of riding. The venting was adequate for the desert but on the noisy side. The vinyl used to cover the helmet strap was the cheapest grade possible. It cracked and [peeled after several months of wear.

Just finished wiring up a pair of Nolan N103 for wife and I. I'll report back after I've had a chance to find the issues with it.
Like you, currently in a MultiTec. I love mine, even though I can't take out the liner. This is my 2nd MultiTec (first one was stolen).

I've also used the Caberg (Jarrow) flip up for a year or so. For me, the chin bar rested on my chin tight enough that my jaw would be sore after several hours of riding. The venting was adequate for the desert but on the noisy side. The vinyl used to cover the helmet strap was the cheapest grade possible. It cracked and [peeled after several months of wear.
I would love to hear about the comfort and if the road noise is better or worse than your Multitec? Extreme Supply in Long Beach has the helmets on sale too and will not charge you tax if you pay in cash. Thanks guys.

If ya married to Nolan 103 already, perhaps this remark is meanlingliss. However after much searching and trying on helmets, I did found one that was very comfortable and reasonable for my daily commute use and Long rides. It is the G-max 44 modular helmet, Very Comfortable chin clearence, very comfortable lining (removable), moderate noise, has speaker pockets, which I use and music sounds good. Good air venting(although I got it in the fall), visor has 7 positions that hold pretty strong. Bought a AGV prior and sold after 1 ride, too small for my larger noggin. It comes with a free smoke visor that can be changed in seconds.

Almost got a Nolan 103, but when I tried it on, like the others, it was close on the chin.

Well I love my Multitec but it does not have a removable liner. I made the mistake last year of putting my soaking wet gloves inside my helmet after a long ride and then placing my helmet in the side pannier. When I took the helmet out it had mold and mildew growing inside. I called Shoei and told them what I did and wanted to see if they could help me find a solution. They told me to take the helmet in the shower and use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo to clean it out. The smell has never gone away?

This was not exactly Shoei's fault and I take full responsibility but when I see less expensive products that do have removable liners it makes me want to replace it with one of these other helmets. To be honest if the Multitec had a removable liner I would buy another when the time came. I also wish it had the visor? I also wish it had the chin strap? The Nolan does all of this and seems to be a solid well built helmet. I am going to put a comm system in both of the helmets and the Nolan also has room around the ears for either speakers or in ear headphones or both.

The one thing I am not sure about is wind noise and I wish there was a way to test the helmet prior to purchase but I understand the reasons why they cannot. Part of me wishes I would have purchased the Schuberth last year when the dollar was doing much better.

Well I am going into uncharted waters with this next helmet purchase and I need to spend another $250 to get both of these helmets wired with the Autocom items which have a 3.5 jack that comes right out of the helmet to plug in your in ear headphones which is pretty cool. I spend much of my time on the phone when I ride or listening to music so I need the helmet to be quiet. Extreme Supply in Long Beach has them for a good price and will remove tax if you pay in cash. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nolan does all of this and seems to be a solid well built helmet. I am going to put a comm system in both of the helmets and the Nolan also has room around the ears for either speakers or in ear headphones or both.
The one thing I am not sure about is wind noise and I wish there was a way to test the helmet prior to purchase but I understand the reasons why they cannot. Part of me wishes I would have purchased the Schuberth last year when the dollar was doing much better.

Well I am going into uncharted waters with this next helmet purchase and I need to spend another $250 to get both of these helmets wired with the Autocom items which have a 3.5 jack that comes right out of the helmet to plug in your in ear headphones which is pretty cool. I spend much of my time on the phone when I ride or listening to music so I need the helmet to be quiet. Extreme Supply in Long Beach has them for a good price and will remove tax if you pay in cash. Thoughts?
For the past few years, my main helmet for use on the FJR1300 has been a Shoei Syncrotec with a J&M headset. Two years ago, I purchased a Nolan 103, also with a J&M headset. I find that I almost never wear the Nolan because the accoustics are so poor compared to the Shoei. Both helmets had the headsets installed by Sierra Electronics so the headsets are properly installed and both headsets are the same J&M model.

I do find that the Nolan seems to provide a bit better visibility but is also noisier than the Shoei.

Consequently, I'm purchasing a Shoei Multitec to replace the Syncrotec and will leave the Nolan in the garage as my spare.

The Nolan does all of this and seems to be a solid well built helmet. I am going to put a comm system in both of the helmets and the Nolan also has room around the ears for either speakers or in ear headphones or both.

For the past few years, my main helmet for use on the FJR1300 has been a Shoei Syncrotec with a J&M headset. Two years ago, I purchased a Nolan 103, also with a J&M headset. I find that I almost never wear the Nolan because the accoustics are so poor compared to the Shoei. Both helmets had the headsets installed by Sierra Electronics so the headsets are properly installed and both headsets are the same J&M model.

I do find that the Nolan seems to provide a bit better visibility but is also noisier than the Shoei.

Consequently, I'm purchasing a Shoei Multitec to replace the Syncrotec and will leave the Nolan in the garage as my spare.
I was worried someone might chime in who is moving from a Nolan to a Mutitec and from a Syncrotec! It sounds like you have all of the bases covered having tried them all now. I just wish the Multitec had a removable liner. I would not mind getting another Multitec but I will not buy it without a removable liner and I do know the Autocom works great with it?

Is there a modular helmet that is quiet and has a removable liner? I must have both but I do not want to pay to get the C3. I wish the C3 had some competition.

1) The helmet must be modular

2) The helmet must be quiet

3) The helmet must have a removable liner

4) The helmet must not break the bank

So far the C3 does 1-3, the Multitec does 1,2, and 4, the Nolan does 1,3, and 4. I wish the C3 had some competition. Extra credit points for a solid working flip-down visor.

Don't know much about the Nolan other than my wife just got one but hasn't used it yet.

As far as cleaning the helmet I put mine in the dishwasher once a year and then let it dry in the sun. works great for me. It helps to take out the speakers first.

Don't know much about the Nolan other than my wife just got one but hasn't used it yet.As far as cleaning the helmet I put mine in the dishwasher once a year and then let it dry in the sun. works great for me. It helps to take out the speakers first.
I never thought of that, what a great idea. I think I will try that first.. :clapping: :clapping:

I have been using the Nolan N102 Modular for about 3 years. It also comes with the AntiFog Pinlock system. Regards to the noise, I have nothing to compare to but Modulars by nature will be a tad bit noiser than the Non-Modulars.

The review said ( I can't remember which one ) stated that the Nolan was highly rated but not the highest.

If I decide to get 2 new helmets I think I have all but convinced myself to pony up and buy 2 of the Schuberth C3 Flip Face helmets for my wife and I. It is $1400 US to get the 2 helmets delivered but I cannot see needing another for a very long time. I wrote to them about finding the proper way to get fitted for their helmets given they are not in the US. Damn that is alot of money but I want to do this right...

My 2 cents.

I went from an older Schuberth (think it was a C2) to an N102, I now have 2 N102s.

IMHO the Nolan is maybe 5-10% louder but I use earplugs & listen to XM.

The Schuberth was a lot narrower & I had to do major cutting to fit speakers in it & was never 100% comfortable for me with the speakers & earplugs.

The external tinted visor on the Nolan would get caught by the wind and drop at high speed at night so I pulled it off, When I get the extra $ I will upgrade to the N103 with the internal tinted visor.

I replaced my full face Shoei with a pair of Nolan N102s (for the wife and me) with the NCOM bluetooth systems. This was before they were available in the US, so I paid through the nose to get them. I think I got the helmets from England and the NCOM systems from Nolan in Italy. We've been using them for the last 3 full seasons and, while noisier than the Shoei, I don't find it too bad. We love the NCOM bluetooth as it allows wireless music and talk between the two helmets. I connect my iPod directly to my helmet (wired) and my wife gets the music as well. When a call comes in via bluetooth to my cell, we can both hear the caller, but I am the only one who can talk. We haven't tried it yet, but supposedly a second phone can be synced up with the pillion helmet and allows the pillion to receive a call as well. The only real problem is that at highway speeds, we can either hear the music or converse, but not both at the same time. I can't really operate the iPod while driving, but if Santa comes through with a Scosche remote :rolleyes: , I'll be able to pause or turn down the music when we need to talk.

Once the budget allows, I will upgrade to the N103s with the latest NCOM system as well (really want that internal sun visor). One thing to note was that while I took an XL in the Shoei, I needed an XXL in the Nolan, so they may run a bit small. Not sure if that's why some people say the chin bar is close, but then they do say that everyone's heads are shaped differently.

Good luck on your search, Dan

Thanks for the great write up Dan. We live close to Long Beach where they sell the Nolan Helmets out of Extreme Supply. This will allow us to try the helmets on in the store and get the color we want. They will also sell them to us with no tax if you pay with cash.

I just decided I am going to pick up 2 of the Nolan N-103 Outlaw Modular Full Face Helmet in flat black for $309 each. I also just bought 2 sets of S Plug in ear headphones with the short 22 inch cord that will plug into the helmet once it is wired with the Autocom set up. I have been reading reviews all day so I feel like I have a pretty good idea that this is going to work for me. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Nolan_N103_OutlawFlatBlack.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

Well if money was no object I would buy the new Schuberth C3 but that is not the case. Everything I buy I buy in pairs for both my wife and I so we have the same gear. We currently own the Shoei Multitec and love it but it has some issues for me that did not become an issue until years later. I am interested in getting some real world feedback on the Nolan N103 helmet. I love the option of having a removable interior so I can wash it when needed (something I do not have in my Multitec). I also like the idea of the visor and the low cost. I have spent many hours at webBikeWorld reading but I wanted to see what you have to say. I know many hear own the Nolan and hope to get some good feedback before I make purchase.
Had a look at the HJC Sy-Max II?

Removable liner : Check

Internal visor: Check (although I will admit it's not very dark. The slide mechanism is funky, but has proven durable)

Cheap replacement for both outer and inner: check (it's also HJC so the parts are plentiful)

Good review on WBW: check. They also really liked the new IS-Max, essentially the same helmet but with a poly carb shell rather than the SYmax's fiberglass composite.

The only thing that the Nolan has is the propriatary N-com thing. That's cool, for sure, but the HJC's ear cups are plenty big for commo.

For my .02$... I've had like 5 modular helmets, 2 different sizes of Caberg, 2 HJC's and a weekend long test ride Scorpion. None of them were quiet....just get used to the idea that they are louder than fixed chin.

These lids differ in internal shape as well as features. I had a Nolan N103 for about two weeks. Nice lid, but not for my head shape. From the top, I have a very narrow oval shape and the Nolan is much more round. What I thought was a nice fit left a big bruise on my forehead after a weekend rally. I went back to a Shoei -- the Multitec -- and I've been happy ever since. If the Multitec's been working for you over long distances, I'm not sure the Nolan is the right choice.

So if the Shoei fits, wear it.

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

(I'm so sorry I said that.)

Don't know much about the Nolan other than my wife just got one but hasn't used it yet.As far as cleaning the helmet I put mine in the dishwasher once a year and then let it dry in the sun. works great for me. It helps to take out the speakers first.
I never thought of that, what a great idea. I think I will try that first.. :clapping: :clapping:
Remember to remove the visor too, and set the dishwasher for a no-heat drying cycle. I usually dry mine over the heater vent if it's not a nice sunny day.

Well I just bought 2 of the Nolan Motorrad Graphics Full-Face Modular helmets. They are a bit rounder than the Shoei and I just did a side by side comparison on a 15 min loop I like to ride. The Multitec has slightly better padding and better sound dampening in the ear area than the N103. At slower speed with little wind the Multitec is a quieter helmet and the sound that does come through has more of a bass tone? The N103 has a higher end tone that is more mid-high and it has the noise right around the ears? As I went faster 40-60 mph the Multitec started to have noise coming from under the chin where as the N103 has very little to none coming from the chin area. When I was behind my tall wind shield the Multitec was slightly quieter but when I dropped the shield (I am on my FJR) to the lowest position both helmets were too loud and the Multitec has some unique noises depending on which was I turned my head? The N-103 held up better overall at speed in direct wind but man could they have benefited from better padding and sound dampening around the ear area of the helmet?

When I was riding into the sun I dropped the visor and it was amazing. I will never ride without one again, EVER! The N-103 seems to fit my head a little better the helmet feels good on my head. The visibility is much better on the N-103. I can see from side to side and down much better than I ever could with the Multitec. There is more air through the helmet in the Multitec but the N-103 is sufficient. Overall they are both great helmets and in the end I think the winner could go either way depending on your needs. The N-103 fits my head better, gives me more visibility, has the visor and the chin strap, a better locking mechanism but it does not move enough air through the helmet and is a little louder in the ear area. I am hoping once I add the speakers under the ear that this will cut down on some of the air noise.

Between 60-100 mph they both worked well behind the wind screen and I could see being able to have a regular conversation with the N-103 but time will tell. I had issues at speeds over 80 mph with the Multitec because it did not stop air from entering under the chin so calls were choppy. The optics seemed a little better on the N-103 shield but the overall materials seemed a little nice on the Multitec. I got them to price match at Extreme Supply and they did not charge tax because I paid in cash. The N-103 was $224 but I got the Motorrad which was $265. They would not offer me all of the colors for $224 so I went with the Motorrad and got it in gray. Given I paid twice that when I bought my Multitec, I would get the N-103 hands down. The Multitec is not worth the extra money when you get so many more features on the N-103. I can't way to get the comm system installed and test it out on a much longer ride. Thanks everyone for your help!

n103ncom17.jpg