Modular Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDR1

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new helmet. How quiet are the modular models? Compared to a regular full face.

In my experience, my KBC is a little on the loud side. I'm willing to accept that because I typically wear ear plugs anyway, and I like the ability to flip up the chin bar when taking a smoke break, or filling up at the service station. It is just more handy for me.

I suspect the modulars tend to be noiser because of the interruption of the smooth air flow in the area around the hinges on each side... although I don't know that for a fact.

I selected the KBC first, because it fit me weird head nicely, but secondly, because of the metal-to-metal catches for the chin bar. I realize that the modulars probably don't give as much protection in some instances as a full-face because of the moveable chin bar, but that's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

The other trade-off of a modular is that they tend to run a little heavier than full face helmets, probably because of the extra weight of the latching mechanism.

I like mine a lot. YMMV of course.

Don

Well quiet being subjective ............

I read a comparison story awhile back, Motorcyclist or some other rag, anyway the modulars tend to run a bit louder than the full face of the same brand.

YMMV

:jester:

I've been looking for a new helmet. How quiet are the modular models? Compared to a regular full face.
I'm on my third Nolan 'cause it fits me the best and isn't too heavy. Yes its noisy.. but I can manage it by moving the windshield and cranking my I-Pod.

Kasey

Its best to ride with ear plugs anyway, so helmet noise is not really an issue (at least not for me). They're both the same when running with ear plugs so the flip-up gets the nod because of the convience.

I have a BMW system 5, about the quiest one you could get, and it is still on the noisy side. I use earmolds as well with the Zummo.

The System 5 is by far better than the Nolan in weight, noise and comfort.

Regards

Ken

The newer ones are better, but they'll probably never be as quiet as non-modular. Shoei Multitec are my personal fav and reviewed here. Got it and ditching the older HJC Symax that was rather noisy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The newer ones are better, but they'll probably never be as quiet as non-modular. Shoei Multitec are my personal fav and reviewed here. Got it and ditching the older HJC Symax that was rather noisy.
Yeah, can't see how they'd ever be as quiet. There's just more stuff for the wind to make noise. My Multitec is quieter than my Nolan flip-up, but neither is as quiet as my last regular full face helmet.

Doesn't matter. I wear ear plugs anyway. And no way could I give up the convenience of a flip-up now.

Another satisfied Multitec user here. Convenience out-weighs the noise.

Definitely not as quiet as a regular full face, but I've found if you keep the helmet in clean air the noise is reduced. Any dirty air, either from the windshield buffeting or side winds...buy stock in an ear plug company.

--G

Its best to ride with ear plugs anyway, so helmet noise is not really an issue (at least not for me). They're both the same when running with ear plugs so the flip-up gets the nod because of the convience.

Thanks when I'am out on the road I always wear plugs but in town I dont I like to hear whats comming at me.

Thank's folks for the help. Sorry it took so long for me to respond my wireless key board went nutts on me right after I made the thread.

Thanks again LDR1 :unsure:

Is the noise worth the convience the helmet offers?
It depends on what you value.

Is it important to you to be able to flip up the front of the helmet without taking the helmet off? Is it important to be able to eat food while riding, to talk to somebody unimpeded, to smoke a cigarette or stogie while riding, to toss back a gin and tonic while at the stop light (or a CamelBak tube as an option)? If some or all of these things are more important than the marginally improved quietness and lightness of a conventional helmet....then probably yeah its worth the convenience.

Check the starting line of the IBR or other rally and most have flip helmets.

How quiet are the modular models?
They're not.

...and I've got one of the best; Schuberth.

Is the noise worth the convience the helmet offers?
Absotively !!!

Love my three Fulmet Modus ($100) which fit my big oval head perfectly and also the AIW (my Angelic Italian Wifey).

I wear safety glasses under my helmet with the visor up to keep cool here in the deep south and flip ups are the way to go with advantages Iggy mentioned.

Everyone is invited to my New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering March 6-9, '09 - for more info, hit the CLICKY in my sig

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I've owned 2 different flip helmets. AN HJC Symax & now have a Shoei Multitech. Yes, they are louder than a conventional full face for reasons listed above. Do I care about that? No. I have a tall windshield that allows me to hear nothing but my MP3 & engine. I wear no earplugs even though I have been chastised several times. I still will not wear earplugs... probably never. I don't feel that I need them.

Why I changed from Symax to Multitech... Symax latch system is plastic & the Multitech is metal. I realize that it is probably safer in certain situations to have a true full face. It is worth the tradeoff to me.