More fuel cell ideas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
Anyway - how about using these instead of the side cases??? I want a large duffle bag with everything ready to take off the bike, instead of screwing around with those side cases.

They look cool and the fuel pump could be placed under the handle to protect the equipment. Low CG when full.

They are not too spendy (well, I dunno about the stainless yet.) But compared to even the Jaz cells they are not bad.

The stainless or black ones would be cool. Just need to fab the racks, and mount the pumps, vents, switches, power, bulkhead fitting, hoses. Easy on and easy off.

10lfuelsilverfull1.jpg

10lfuelblackfull.jpg

Feedback anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
When they act as sliders along the pavement in a slide...will they self-ignite? :blink:

Fill 'em up with water instead and you have a hydration system... :)

I am modeling the idea on these.

OK, I'll make the rack so that it wraps around the tanks to provide protection. I'll find out the gage thickness tomorrow.

Anyway, I plan to dismount when I crash the bike.

This is good feedback - what other problems with this idea do you foresee?

Who the hell in their right mind would pack fuel like that?! I mean, really! :p

Actually, I've been on the hunt for some aux tanks for the Strom and I found these from the ATV side:

Koplin Auxiliary Tanks

or

Here

Kinda neat, really. In as much as I could give a rat's ass about direct fed tanks like on WC's XX as I'm not looking to run events, this looks like a viable option. Only problem is that a lot of these sites can't send these 'fuel' tanks into Cali. Fookin' regulators! Oh well, I can always use an extra supply of water. ;)

Well, another idea shot down. According to the salesman:

We would be happy to supply you with two 10L Jerrycans with or without the ‘Explosafe’ mesh inside. Both types of can are 0.9mm guage steel.

Because of air freight costs, the break points become slightly irrelevant because of the way we are charged. Unfortunately these freight costs usually make our cans uncompetitive in the USA which is a shame because we get a lot of enquiries from there. The cost of air freight would be around £100 for two cans, the cost of each can would be £21.03. (We would not charge VAT as goods are leaving the EU.)

Unless there is a cheaper way to ship them.

OK, I'll make the rack so that it wraps around the tanks to provide protection. I'll find out the gage thickness tomorrow.

That thing must handle like a BUS. 22 gallons of fuel weighs at least 150#, plus the tanks and the mounts. Sorry, but if I wanted 200+# of sloshing weight on the back-end, I'd marry a fat girl who drinks a lot.

Sherman,

Is this project the reason you were looking into CAD software?

One thing that I might suggest (sort of along the same lines as TWN) might be something like the fuel tanks on backup generators.

I've been thinking about calling Sears get a price on just the tank.

I can't paste the image here, but follow this link: <link> Remember I'm just talking about the tank.

And you could look here: Summit Racing.

For IBA there are rules about maximum fuel load in snactioned events. WC's Honda was used for a special event not subject to the fuel restrictions. His seat-mounted auxiarly tank is IBA legal for capacity, baffles and mounting.

That thing must handle like a BUS. 22 gallons of fuel weighs at least 150#, plus the tanks and the mounts. Sorry, but if I wanted 200+# of sloshing weight on the back-end, I'd marry a fat girl who drinks a lot.
I'd like to drive that bus.

I found other sources in the States.

Expedition Exchange

Hummer Accessories

British Pacific

Sherman,Is this project the reason you were looking into CAD software?

One thing that I might suggest (sort of along the same lines as TWN) might be something like the fuel tanks on backup generators.

I've been thinking about calling Sears get a price on just the tank.

I can't paste the image here, but follow this link: <link> Remember I'm just talking about the tank.
I found those, I'll post it here when I relocate it.

The more I ponder the better the Tour-tanks look, or just convert a side case.