More HID install questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I purchased a Apexcone 35w H4 Hi/Lo HID Kit from Sharp HID and have a couple of questions.

Where in the hell does everyone hide all of those wires?

The kit has the slim ballasts finding a place for those is easy enough but where do the Ignitors go?

Where does everyone hide that Hi/Lo controller?

How do I get the headlight dust boots around the huge base of the bulbs?

Installing HID was a breeze on my CBR1100XX

I've been doing the standard HID site:fjrforum.com, HID install site:fjrforum.com, HID Gen II site:fjrforum.com, but I can't find the answers to those questions nor.... can I find any photos that may have been posted.

Thanks

You can squeeze everything into the void under the reflectors on the Gen-IIs.

When I had my HIDs (removed because I hated the amount of Dazzle they generated) I simply used double sided tape on everything to hold it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I've lost the pics I posted in my install thread some time back but here goes:

Some of the wires in the kit can be shortened easily, just not the high tension leads from the ballast to the bulbs.

As stated, the slim ballasts and ignitors all go up under the headlight housing in the gap in the chin fairing.

I secured the hi/low relay to the frame neck on the left side (when facing forward)

I always carefully disassemble the bulb removing the bulb shield from the bulb/servo combo. Most of the time the shield is held on with just a pair of small screws.

Another tip - Once you have the dust boot on the servo and the bulb shield re-installed, turn the dust cover inside out and fold it back over the servo (what will be towards the rear of the bike when the bulb is installed). Take a zip tie and bind the dust cover in this position. It makes installation of the bulbs and securing of the wire retaining clip SO much easier. Once the clip is secure, just snip the zip tie and fold the dust cover back over the seated bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts