Moto-Vation sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Just looked at a set at the dealers for 2006 fjr1300, says they will work on all later models from 2006 on, true? (mine is an08)What benefits are they on the bike? Do they help much in saving plastic? Anyones experience. It also stated to use loctite and I believe I read on the forum that loctite is a no-no. Love this forum.

Sliders will help protect the expensive plastic bits when you accidently drop the bike at low speeds or stopped. Don't ask me how I know!

They may or may not reduce serious damage in a higher speed get-off, as that is pretty much a function of luck, physics and location.

Even at a dead stop, they do not completely protect the expensive bits... mirrors, lower edges of the fairing, lower protruding engine bits, etc.

For me, they have proven their worth.

Don

Just looked at a set at the dealers for 2006 fjr1300, says they will work on all later models from 2006 on, true? (mine is an08)
yes

What benefits are they on the bike?

protect the plastic to a large extent, but also help protect your leg, ankle, foot if you get trapped under the bike

(unless your body part is over the edge of the slider and the tip goes into your extremety which I have never heard, but it's possible IMHO)

Do they help much in saving plastic?

yes, but not 100%

in my stopped drops, I had no damage

no experience at speed

Anyones experience.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=102803&hl=

It also stated to use loctite and I believe I read on the forum that loctite is a no-no. Love this forum.

follow the manufacturers directions or if none, do not use loctite and torque to 35 ft/lbs doing the left side first

Agreed. I have the motovation sliders on my 08. Also had them on my 04. Worth the money in my opinion. I dropped it shortly after putting them on and only had some minor scratches on the bottom of the side bag and exhaust. Would have been worse without them.

GP

A WORD OF WARNING TO POTENTIAL MOTOVATION SLIDER CONSUMERS:

The set I purchased for my 2007 FJR contained low quality bolts. The problem was the thread of the bolts. The thread major diameter (OD) was undersize and over the length of the thread, had somewhat of an hourglass shape (meaning the major diameter varied along the length) But probably the worst thing (and what ultimately kept me from using them) was that the thread pitch wasn't exactly 1.25mm, but quite a bit less. There was no way I was going to risk damaging the engine threads with this poor hardware.

HOW DID I NOTICE THIS?

When I threaded the bolts into engine holes, they were very loose for the first 1/2" of engagement. This was a result of the thread being cut undersize. As I threaded them in further, they got extreme tight. This didn't make any sense to me so I checked for dirt/obstructions in the holes - none - and the OEM bolts screwed in and out perfectly. With all the warnings about stripped engine threads on this forum, I decided to investigate the bolts further. The reason for them getting tight was the pitch mismatch.

WHAT DID I DO?

I probably could have complained to Motovation about it but they most likely would have sent me the same low quality bolts again. Besides, it had been quite a while since I had purchased them to the time I actually got around to installing them. I simply found a matching set of bolts at the local hardware store (Ace had the special fine thread needed).

IN CLOSING:

I bought the set of sliders about 1-1/2 years ago so Motovation may have taken care of this problem. But I would still check with them before purchasing a set.

I believe there is an announcement about some of the materials they used had issues, but have since been replaced.

I went with OES sliders. Another quality product (without manufactures name scribed in the plastic). I tired them out 2 weeks later is a brain fart moment... I've changed kickstand procedures from my old Weestrom to the FJR. Rarely using centerstand on the FJR from always using centerstand on the Wee. Couple that will conversation while getting off my bike equated to NO KICKSTAND!

The bulk of the fall was cushioned my my knee caps... Ya that sucked for a few days. End result a very minor scuff on the Port bag, and some minor scuffing to the OES slider on the same side. They have already paid for themselves. I was happy to see the bar end and mirrors were not touched.

As for the loctite... Yes these sliders bolt into the motor, so loctite is a no-no. I torqued as recommended, and have checked the bolts twice since install, and all is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, got a set on my '08, no mounting issues, & saved me some scrapes not more than a week or so after installed!

The Motovation Sliders are what you probably see most of, BUT, if you really want to add "Bling-Bling" to your bike and your pockets are deep, you need to follow BeemerDon's Idol, Master and Inspiration Leader (and let's not forget bartender) Niehart and buy a set of Meissner's!!

When Don & Dave were in the Hot-tub in Page and I over heard comments about having a nice set, they were taking about Sliders...................weren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have installed two different sets of Motovations on two different FJRs, four years apart. Didn't have any hardware problems.

GP

Two drops on my 07 FJR and both times, the motovation sliders saved me from serious damage. Well worth the money in my opinion. No problems with them and only good things to say.