motoport gear MESH? or 1/2 mesh

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Called Motoport today and got a gal who was nice but spectacularly unhelpful. Just referred me to the website for answers.

My question is this: I live in Fla and need mesh. But do I want the full mesh or their pants that are stretchy kevlar on the back and mesh on the front? Is their mesh uncomfortable to sit on? In Fla I'll likely be wearing bike shorts under it in the summer.

I plan to use an old liner from my Joe Rocket pants with them in cooler weather or rain.

So........cool and comfortable and safe :dribble: :unsure: in ninety plus degree weather...which version of the pants do I want?

Called Motoport today and got a gal who was nice but spectacularly unhelpful. Just referred me to the website for answers.
My question is this: I live in Fla and need mesh. But do I want the full mesh or their pants that are stretchy kevlar on the back and mesh on the front? Is their mesh uncomfortable to sit on? In Fla I'll likely be wearing bike shorts under it in the summer.

I plan to use an old liner from my Joe Rocket pants with them in cooler weather or rain.

So........cool and comfortable and safe :dribble: :unsure: in ninety plus degree weather...which version of the pants do I want?
The mesh pants are lined. You could wear nothing underneath them. I have the kevlar mesh. I live in Canada. For FL, I would go with the full mesh. It is not uncomfortable in any way to sit on in my experience. With their liner and a pair of long pants or long johns they are fine for cooler weather .

I got the air mesh kevlar jacket, the air mesh kevlar pant, and kevlar gloves. For the pant I asked Wayne to leave off the big side pockets, no logo on the belt flap, and no reflective striping on the legs - wanted the pant to look as "normal" as possible. I did get the full set of armor in both the pant and jacket so I look a bit "puffy" compared to a rider with just jeans and a leather jacket. Hearing from some on this forum how the gear saved their life is what nailed the decision down for me. I think the person you can ask about a personal testimony of how the gear handles in a crash is Madmike2.

I live in Colorado and have used the gear in 20 degree weather with liners from another brand of gear, and have to wear a sweater/pullover along with my shirt to stay warm. Wayne told me that even with the mesh in cold weather, with good liners, I would not need much additional clothing to stay warm and he was correct. In the summer the temps hit over 100 here and the air mesh comes into it's true calling. Though the pant is black, it doesn't heat up in the sun due to the mesh... another plus for the mesh.

If I was in Florida, like you, go with the mesh. In the blistering sun and humid air you will be thankful for the mesh. I don't find the mesh uncomfy from the pant and the jacket. The material is stiff when it arrives in the box but after awhile it loosens up.

From my experience Wayne's office lady knows very little of the product. I have found the best way to communicate with him is to email him using an outline form of bulleted questions. Then after a few days I call and talk to him. He knows his product line very well. He is straightforward and will answer your questions.

Currently Wayne has both my pant and jacket doing alterations and adding zipped-in rain liners and insulated liner. Decided to get liners that fit perfectly and can stay zipped in.

I can't say enough how he has taken time today in both email and phone to figure out what needs to be completed and to get the fit I'm looking for.

One cool thing about having a pant, jacket, and gloves with full kevlar coverage is answering people's questions about the material - most are amazed a riding suit can be made of kevlar. Usually the response I get is "Wow, that's awesome you have a real bullet-proof suit." B)

I also have the mesh pants and 3/4 jacket, and I live in New England. If you live in Florida you'd be crazy not to get the mesh. I recommend the the Tri-Armor and Aerotex liner for you. You wont need the Gor-tex liner at all. Wayne's gear is so good that when its over 90 degrees here all I wear underneath is that breathable Under-Armor moisture wicking shorts and T-shirt, thats all you need. And pack the rain liners in your side case at all times, cuz you never know when it's gonna rain.

[i also have the mesh pants and 3/4 jacket, and I live in New England.

So get the FULL mesh as opposed to the mesh front and fabric on the back half?

I live in San Diego and worn the gear in 34 degrees up to 108 degrees. I have the full mesh gear (black) with the liners. I got a warm n safe electric liner and gloves for when it gets really cold. I highly recommend getting the liners from Motoport since they breathe. I wear fleece pants underneath when it is in the 30s and don't get cold legs.

Christie is Wayne's niece and she knows the gear well. There are other family members in the office but I only dealt with Wayne and Christie for my gear.

I love it and won't wear anything else.

Edit - Both the Stretch Kevlar and the Kevlar mesh flow air. The Mesh flows more air and would be better for Florida. In the summer I wear shorts underneath my pants and when I stop for lunch I take off the pants or just unzip the legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in San Diego and worn the gear in 34 degrees up to 108 degrees. I have the full mesh gear (black) with the liners. I got a warm n safe electric liner and gloves for when it gets really cold. I highly recommend getting the liners from Motoport since they breathe. I wear fleece pants underneath when it is in the 30s and don't get cold legs.
Christie is Wayne's niece and she knows the gear well. There are other family members in the office but I only dealt with Wayne and Christie for my gear.

I love it and won't wear anything else.

Edit - Both the Stretch Kevlar and the Kevlar mesh flow air. The Mesh flows more air and would be better for Florida. In the summer I wear shorts underneath my pants and when I stop for lunch I take off the pants or just unzip the legs.
Yup, whut he sed!

I also have the rain liners which work great blocking wind in cold weather. We rode 9 of 13 days in the rain on the Canada trip last year and I stayed dry.

Another vote for the full mesh. I have the 3/4 jacket (kevlar air mesh) and pants, also kevlar air mesh with full armor.

I hate heat (I know, CA is hot, but ocean keeps it a little cooler here), and so am very sensitive to it. With this gear and shorts & tee shirt underneath, it's great even in ridiculous temps. Humidity would make it worse, and the air flow through the mesh will only help.