Motoport Ultra II Cordura 1000 denier

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
Headline says it all- where is the Ultra II Cordura made?

The kevlar jackets are stated on their website as being USA made, but I can't find any reference for where the cordura jackets are made. Of course this question occurred to me last last night (Friday), so I emailed them, but I don't want to wait in anticipation until they get around to answering sometime next week.

https://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/_product_106895/Ultra_II_Cordura_Jacket_1000_Denier

If money were no object, I'd get the stretch kevlar Ultra II jacket/pants, but money is an object. And it's closing in on helmet replacement time, too (replacing the old Shoei Multitec with a new Multitec after 5 years of use, maybe a Christmas present). And while I'm at it, my OEM tires are going to be closing in on 5000 miles pretty soon (new 2010 bike bought in May this year), so new tires are on my horizon.

I need to replace my 'Stich Darien gear because I've managed to shrink away from it, to the tune of about 30 pounds, and it's hanging like gunny sacks on me now. And for less than the price of a new, unlined Darien jacket, I can buy the cordura Ultra II with the 2-part liner system. Which has be wondering, is the cordura Ultra II an import?

Oh, and for the Ultra II Cordura owners out there, how about fading of the colors? I'm wearing a yellow Darien jacket now (gray pants), which of course from the front side is pretty icky looking after 5 years of use. Doesn't have much sun fade it seems, but has the characteristic grungy yellow tone to it from dirt stains, etc, looks more like Dijon mustard nowadays from the front side. Aerostich had a separate hi-viz yellow for a season or two, but they had bad fading issues with it in pretty short order and went away from it. Does the Motoport cordura yellow fade out, or has it held it's color pretty well? How about the blue? Those are my two choices right now. Thanks much.

Received today, Aug 29, 2011-

Hi Steve,

All the Cordura Ultra II Jackets are made by us in house in the USA.

Best regards,

Wayne Boyer

CEO Motoport USA

340 Rancheros Dr. #184

San Marcos, CA 92069

800-777-6499

760-752-1048

Fax: 760-752-9317

Well, I thought I had a better photo of my Motoport Ultra II black pants, but I guess I don't...

homewardsummit.jpg

I know you can't really tell much from the photo, but I can tell you these pants have 5 years and over 200,000 miles of use, under some of the most brutal sunshine you will find in the Desert West, and I can't really say I have noticed much fading to speak of....

Warchild- thanks. I did get a reply back from them, they said bright/light (red and yellow) colors will fade quicker than the darker colors (blue, and per your example, especially the black being very stable).

They also mentioned selling a product that helps prevent fade- "We sell Fabric Guard 303 that will at least double the life span of the colors."

Assuming your black pants are Cordura?

And hijacking my own post, those top-load Givi cases look good, too. I really don't like side-loaders. I miss the two different size top-load Pelican case sets I ran on my old VStrom.

Assuming your black pants are Cordura?
Correct... the 1000-denier Cordura, very, very tough suff.

And hijacking my own post, those top-load Givi cases look good, too. I really don't like side-loaders.
One (of several) prices one pays for touring on this extraordinary performance machine is that there is just not dick for storage. Still, I wasn't about to slap a pair of ginormous Givi side-loading bags like the E360 on the bike. So these relatively small E21 cases are a good compromise.

Too, one tends to fill up hard bags to their absolute capacity, so the E21's force me to pack efficiently (or, at least, try to pack efficiently! :lol: )

stevet may not have noticed, but Dale (Warchild) is not standing next to an FJR1300. That is a Suzuki GSX1300 Hayabusa that Mr Dale has his li'l 21 liter Givi cases, and doing his high smileage touring on.

stevet may not have noticed, but Dale (Warchild) is not standing next to an FJR1300. That is a Suzuki GSX1300 Hayabusa that Mr Dale has his li'l 21 liter Givi cases, and doing his high smileage touring on.
True 'dat.

Unlike '09/'10 where it lay dormant most of the time, the Hayabusa has made a big comeback in the Warchild stable this year. Rolled over 10,000 miles on the 'Busa just since June, and the odometer ticked over 60,000 miles doing the Utah Tour of Honor a couple weekends ago.

But the FJR hasn't been idle by any means. In early July, I put a female on the back of the bike and took her through 7 Western states/over 3000 miles in 8 days. She proved to be a trooper, given she hasn't done any LD riding prior to this.

Toward the end of the tour, she got pretty good taking HD vids with her camera.... here we are rolling down the most incredibly awesome "Spiral Highway" in western Idaho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CoTAqdSgY

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure about the bike in that photo, thought it could be an FJR all doctored up.

With the Pelicans I had on the ol' VStrom, one of the pairs was the Pelican 1430, a top load case of about 16-17 liters capacity. Great daily runner, and even for over-nighters. Lots of riders used those small Givi top loaders on the VStroms as well. I may just have to explore a set for the FJR. I also had the larger Pelican 1440 top loader. Heavy, and huge- go ahead and pack the kitchen sink, it'll take it.

OH, MAN! The Lewiston Grade!!! I'm back home! I lived just north of Lewiston ID in Moscow ID from '95-'00 I'm born and raised a flatlander, just after moving to Moscow we drove down the main highway grade, then back up the old Spiral Highway. First time I did that, I was about scared out of my wits thinking I was going to plummet off an edge at any second. Nearly 2000' elevation change using about 10 miles of snaking pavement to get 'er done- curve after curve. 3 miles longer than the modern highway next to it. I've watched sport bikers run up and down that hill-- in-freakin'-sane watching them rocket through. Yep, there are occasional drive-off crashes and deaths. And there's an annual bicycle race up those grades, too. Nuts. Thanks for the great memories!

1000 denier Cordura, got it. Thanks. In black, they must not be too bad for heat build-up, since you're riding in the great sunny states of the Rocky Mountains. Summertime in that Lewiston valley can peg 100 degrees quite often.