MotoPumps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
I read a review about MotoPumps in Rider magazine. They look good, need a small fuse (5 amp) and the review was good. Anybody here have any experience with them? I have a Slime pump but it needs a bigger fuse. TIA

A 5 amp fuse will blow in .25 seconds. Most of us attach a Powerlett plug pig-tail to the battery. I think mine has a 15 amp fuse and has never had a problem. Hell, the power outlet in my truck runs these compressors just fine.

DO NOT use the plug in the FJR glove box. It will blow immdeiately. There are different opinions on which compressor is best. There's an Aerostitch compressor, Slime, some Walmart compressor, as well as some others that aren't quite as popular. Personally, I use a Slime. Have for almost 9 years. It fits in my tool tray and works just fine. That part is up to you!

According to the write up in Rider the MotoPump will run with a 5 amp fuse in it. Just asking if anyone has used one. Sounds almost too good.

Tom,

I have been carrying a Motopump on my FJRs for years. It has saved the day multiple times and packs up nice and small. That said, I kind of doubt the 5A claim. I think I have a 10A fuse in the battery tender cable that I use to 1) power my tank bag, 2) change the battery during the winter doldrums (like right now) and 3) power the Motopump when the inevitable screw takes up residence in a back tire.

I also have a Slime pump that I carry on the Vstrom. I'm lucky enough not tio have to have used that one, but honestly... other than the larger package size of the slime pump, they are about the same thing. My advice is to save your money and keep packing the Slime pump. Oh, and just jam a bigger fuse in the tender cable. It can take it. And if it can't... it's just a bigger fuse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the dynaplug version (same thing) and it says (4.8 amps) right on the front of it ... So, yeah "technically" it would work fine ... But, those are famous last words ... Fuses are not precision devices ... I would never trust it "on the road" ... Id say a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse will do .. Definitely NOT the glovebox outlet !!!

They work fine ... They have a "reasonably" accurate gauge on them which helps get you close to recommended pressure. I still verify it ...

They will run a lot longer (continuously) than the slime pumps without getting extremely hot (I think they can run 30 minutes)... And, they have a much better connection point to the tire valve. Slime pumps have that same old crappy bicycle thing that you clamp down ... And honestly it would not be that bad if it weren't such a totally cheap version of it ... It really is crappy ... I've had times where I let a ton of air out before I could get any to go in ... Created a nervous time on the side of the road ..

They also have a nice light built in which is not a big deal but is a nice touch ...

They are similar .. I replaced my Slime pump for one and am happy ... Either will fill a tire ... I think that the motopump has a few creature comforts and longer run time that make it a nice addition ... Both will fill a tire though ...

According to the write up in Rider the MotoPump will run with a 5 amp fuse in it. Just asking if anyone has used one. Sounds almost too good.
Honestly, I don't know what the Filthandfoul is going on with my reading. Haha...I didn't fully understand what you asked until I went back and read it. Sorry!!

Regardless of what fuse the Motopump uses, it's still top much for the glove box, so again, a properly fused Powerlett pig-tail is your best bet. You'll use it for other stuff anyway, and most are fused at 15 amps.

Thanks for the info Fred W. I guess I will just keep my Slime pump in the bike and change the fuse in my pigtail.

I have a somewhat better then bottom of the line Slime compressor that I think can draw 10 amps, and has a battery in it to allow inflation without an outside source for one tire when charged. I know for a fact that all these compressors draw more then they say because the compressors cycle and as the tire gets full the compressor gets warmer loosing efficiency. My solution being to inefficient and lazy to install a fuse block on the bike, was to get an adapter that allows for a cigarette lighter male plug in on one end and has alligator red and black wired clips on the other. If I need to use it in an all out emergency I can take off the plastic panel an hook it into my bike battery directly. The compressor has an in line fuse of it's own. It also has a small air gauge and can run off D/C if plugged into a 110 volt outlet.

I did this and fused it for 15 amps. Makes quick work of my compressor and works great for the Tender.

Mftvv49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used my motopump on Fūjin yet, but on Saoirse, my ST1100, I never had issues and I've used my motopump to rescue quite a few folks over the past two years. It just feels more solid to me than the compact alternatives. It's good to know that the glove box power is insufficient. Thanks!

I've had a Moto-Pump for a couple of years now, and wouldn't want anything else. I first used a Slime pump, but the aggravation and cheesiness of that pump was a pain. The built-in pressure gauge and hose connector on the Moto put it in a different league than the Slime.