Motorcycle.com 2006 review of Sport-Touring Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShine

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Those fine folks at motorcycle.com have just released yet another sport-touring bike review - covers the BMW K1200GT, the Triumph Sprint ST, and the FJR1300AE. My favorite line from the FJR part of the review:

"...The radiator, fans and ductwork are redesigned to cut down on hot air reaching the rider, in hopes it will
reduce hot air coming from FJR internet message boards."

From Pete Brissette, Managing Editor:

"On the surface -- save for the YCC-S -- the FJR doesn't seem all that different from previous model years. But the subtle changes Yamaha made are noticeable and appreciated, like the increase in rider leg room or the noticeable lack of hot air blasting on the rider's inner thighs. The FJR has been -- and probably will be for some time to come -- a favorite in the motorcycle community. It's such a practical and fun bike that it could easily fit the bill of commuter and long-range tourer. Yet the lack of ground clearance and the defiant windscreen -- it still goes back to ground zero after the bike is shut down -- seem to bug me a little too much. When Yamaha was revamping the FJR, would it have cost them so much more to keep the screen where the rider leaves it and increase ground clearance by an inch or two? I'm not an engineer so I don't have any idea as to how difficult or easy it would be to make those changes, but I still have to ask. Regardless, the FJR is one of those bikes that will always have a cult following, no matter how much it frees itself from rider error."

Methinks there is also ample hot air from columnists. Just how difficult would it be to ask and find the answers to the 2 complaints he printed. Of course, he was talking about what the "factory" should/could do. Touching pegs, just how much harder DO these guys want to ride on the street?

Aaaaannnndddd, how about that, I'm a member of a "cult"! :yahoo:

Long live the subject of this cult! :clapping:

How about the whole article? No need for me to renew my subscription to read about the AE. I'm really sick of reading about the AE version. Every single review has been with the AE instead of the standard and they are sitting on dealer showroom floors everywhere. They are selling one down the street for $10999. Maybe someone should buy one and put a clutch on it?

I don't know what crack pipe these guys have been smoking but the BMW will cost quite a bit more in service and costs 8k more than the standard FJR...and it looks like a boat. It isn't as top heavy though. As for the triumph, I don't plan on pushing any motorcycle during a nice long trip. I'm into dependable bikes, not tempramental ones.

As a longtime freelance newspaper/magazine article writer, I'm seeing a reduction in objectivity and an increase in laziness, in journalism...and specifically in motorcycle journalism. Yes, there will always be those writers who take the time to properly research a subject from scratch before the editorial submission deadline, but Internet research is increasingly substituting for the real thing. Efficiency does not always equal effectiveness. (You have wonder if these folks are actually riding the bikes they review.)

I read a dozen or so m/c rags per month, and the incidence of "borrowed insights" seems to be growing. (And people wonder why blogs, and forums like this one, are gaining in popularity with those seeking "stated bias" information.)

How about the whole article? No need for me to renew my subscription to read about the AE. I'm really sick of reading about the AE version. Every single review has been with the AE instead of the standard and they are sitting on dealer showroom floors everywhere. They are selling one down the street for $10999. Maybe someone should buy one and put a clutch on it?
I don't know what crack pipe these guys have been smoking but the BMW will cost quite a bit more in service and costs 8k more than the standard FJR...and it looks like a boat. It isn't as top heavy though. As for the triumph, I don't plan on pushing any motorcycle during a nice long trip. I'm into dependable bikes, not tempramental ones.
AMEN BROTHER!!!! Not that there's anything wrong with owning an AE. But, we have already seen a half dozen other reviews just like this. I'm not even bothering to read this one. YAWN!

Dear fellow cultists etc etc.

This guy has always had a fly up his ass about the windshield on previous years as well. Such a shame he rants on about such a small part of the bikes attributes.

Dear fellow cultists etc etc.
This guy has always had a fly up his ass about the windshield on previous years as well. Such a shame he rants on about such a small part of the bikes attributes.

Less I am missin my guess. There is an article here regardiong fixin the autoretract on the windsheild. Mebbe we should email them some hot ari, er I mean a link to the article. I would even be willing to buy them a cheap set of wire cutters for the task if they are so lamely inclined.

I've never been able to understand the complaint about the auto-retract. I usually ride with the shield all the way down anyway and DOWN is the position I want it in for safety's sake when I return and ride off. YMMV... but who cares? After all, I got what I want. :yahoo:

I've never been able to understand the complaint about the auto-retract. I usually ride with the shield all the way down anyway and DOWN is the position I want it in for safety's sake when I return and ride off. YMMV... but who cares? After all, I got what I want. :yahoo:

+1

Me too

increase ground clearance by an inch or two?

I didn't know that I need a MX bike for a sport tourer :dribble: What idiots

Cary

You know, I saw that article about how to keep the windshield from auto-retracting, and the all of 5 minutes that it would take to do this. I thought about doing it, for maybe a half a second. Did it ever occur to this guy that some people LIKE the auto-retract. I personally chose to keep it there for safety, looks, and that extra "neat-o" factor when I pull up and park her! If I want to put the damn thing back up when I get back on, I will. Otherwise, I consider it a "feature" which I could disable, but see no need to.

I leave my windshield down anyway b/c it's where I get beat up the least...I gotta replace the shield with something taller and wider, or try Skyway's spacers....love the bike though.

Youz is all missin it.

His assignment was to find SOMETHING to complain about, and these 2 items were the easiest to copy from someone else's piece.

Who cares if the windshield goes down when you park it, it goes back up easily enough when you press the little gray button. I move my shield around depending upon the average speed I'm cruzin at anyway.

And is he talking ground clearance or cornering clearance? There's a difference in my book. Yes, my FeeJR has less of both than my old dirt bike, but I wasn't planning on hopping curbs. I have never found it lacking on the street, but psychologically, I would feel more comfortable if it had a little more cornering clearance. I agree with Lee when he says "(You have wonder if these folks are actually riding the bikes they review.)".

Touching pegs, just how much harder DO these guys want to ride on the street?
I went into a turn a little too hot a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't because of my riding real hard. I was probably going 30 MPH. The turn surprised me with a decreasing radius; in fact it was a hairpin. As I understand, you're not supposed to hit your brakes for obvious reasons, but lean in more and accelerate, which is what I tried to do. Anyway, I scraped my pegs and came out all right. But I wouldn't have minded a little more clearance.

Jb

Anyway, I scraped my pegs and came out all right. But I wouldn't have minded a little more clearance.Jb
While I have personally never done that :unsure: .........I've heard that the FJR pegfeelers are merely a reminder or warning. Someone, in another dimension, posted that you still have a long way to lean over before any hard parts touch.

<Major snippage>(You have wonder if these folks are actually riding the bikes they review.)<more major snippage>

I read a dozen or so m/c rags per month, and the incidence of "borrowed insights" seems to be growing.
It does sound like this gentleman merely restates what others have said since the beginning of FJR imports. Mine corners better than I can ride it. Even when I've needed that extra "spark" area of lean, the FJR has as much as I am comfortable riding. The peg feelers are just there to remind me that I am at MY limit.

Last edited by a moderator: