Motorcycle cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothblue

Reaction score
:unsure: I live up here in the great pacific northwest, and needless to say it rains...alot! When I ride the FJR ('05) to work it often sits in the rain for eight hours at a time. People will often ask me how I can leave such a beautiful piece of bike flesh sitting out in the rain. I usually say 'It doesn't hurt a thing. it loves water'. But it got me to pondering whether that's correct. Do I need to reconsider my practice? If so, what cover would best suit that need? As usual, you folks can come to my rescue with your informed opinions. :lol:

I might suggest one of the half covers that fit over the screen and cover to the tail section. At least it keeps the IP and seat dry while parked. By the way, I found that water resistant covers usually aren't after a few years...

I use a cover at work but not because of rain but because of the sun. A cover wouldn't hurt but maybe isn't really needed in your case as the ride home on a wet road is going to slop up the bike more than just getting rained on.

I think the half cover is a good idea. These covers are easy to tote and are less likely to retain condensation if the sun comes out. The sun will shorten the life of all your plastic parts and the vinyl of the seat. I used to paint cars and aside from the sun, the most damage to paint occurs when rain which carries particles from the air as it falls, is then dried by the sun. When it dries the concentration of these distillates increase as the water evaporates. You may have noticed rain patterns or spots that have eaten into your car hood finish. The worst damage happens when a bright sun immediately follows a rain fall. Sometimes pollutants carried by rain can eat really nasty pits in your bikes paint if left to dry on thier own. In addition to this I believe that a covered bike is much less like to be stolen than uncovered one. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Bike theft is on the rise, and advertising where someone can find a nice FJR everyday may increase the chance that is may get nabbed. Than you can buy it back on ebay in parts. Ever wonder why there are soo many bike parts for sale with no crash damage to either side of the bike???

A full cover will give you protection from prying eyes.

As people crash these bikes, parts are becoming more popular to buy off E-bay and other markets.

Most bikes when stolen, are sold for parts.

A full cover, not only adds protection from Mother Nature, but keeps prying eyes away.

People stealing bikes and bits, will not usually take the effort or chance of being seen, to lift the full cover and look.

Good Luck

Acidic rain, bird guano,tree sap, kids and ice cream cones, cigarette ash and spilled beer from Harley posers trying to get a closer look at a real motorcycle, the list just goes on and on.................. :oops: :rant: :fuk: :axed:

Yamaha sells and FJR cover for about $140.00. I am not sure if it is waterproof. But I just purchased one and it fits well and looks good. I am more concerned with sun than rain.

Been using Tour King half covers for years with good results. At their price you can by 3 or 4 of them for the price of a Gezza or the Yamaha cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
A black plain cover, costs less and doesnt advertise "Here it is'!

Until you walk outside, to find your bike missing or stripped, I guess you wont get it.

SmoothBlue-

I bought a Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 half-cover a few month back (XLarge) and am very pleased with it. It covers the front fairing (w/ +4+1 windshield) the rear luggage rack (w/ backrest), the saddlebags, and the cans. The best feature of this cover is that it is so easy to put on that I actually use it. It's light in weight and folds up into very little space. I pack it with me everywhere.

I purchased a full cover (non-Yamaha) when I bought the bike, but it's such a hassle it sits on the shelf all of the time.

UV-2000

Cheers...

Go to Lowes and buy the biggest cheap ass vinyl BBQ cover you can find. Probably about 20 bucks. Leave it at work so you don't have to haul it. No one will even bother to look under it, cause the thing will look so ugly, there can't be anything but a Harley under it. They're waterproof, and will last for a few years anyway. ;)