Motorrad Riser vs Helibar Bridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Hello all

Thx to all those who have posted their experience with the Motorrad riser. I am struggling to decide between that riser or the new Helibar bridge. (Install & price differences aside)

Heli bar
25 mm higher, 63 mm rearward @ the fork mount or 12 - 50 mm rearward @ the grip end, plus 3 bar angle positions.
Motorrad
20mm higher & 40mm rearward, plus variable bar angle adjustment.

There are posted photos of the Motorrad riser installed. Does anyone have the Helibar Bridge installed & can they post similar (side view) photos of same? (& other comments?)

Would appreciate any comments from those with either product. Tank bag issues? I note some say cable slack is a problem with the Motorrad riser & others have no problems ?

My thx to all

-Steve
(2012 FJR)

Cable slack is only a problem if try to use the OEM cable retainer and not install the mouinting bracket extenders.

I have been watching both. I'm leaning towards the MV.. But I guess I do have the some of the same questions as the OP.. and will watch in earnest for your responses.

My thoughts and observations...

As simple as it looks to install the Helibars bridge, I dont want to alter my brake system yet (and that bit is less than attractive) and I dont want to cut up my factory wire retainer...

Correct me If I am wrong.. it looks like the MV leaves everything original there, you just relocate a couple cables and tug some slack right?

I just took the outside pin out of my bars and rotated them 5 degrees towards straight... nice improvement for my numb fingers.. but i'd like them back about an inch (not up at all if i can help it).. the MV looks to be the closest solution to that.

Now... Where is that little guy with the popcorn?

I have been watching both. I'm leaning towards the MV.. But I guess I do have the some of the same questions as the OP.. and will watch in earnest for your responses.
My thoughts and observations...

As simple as it looks to install the Helibars bridge, I dont want to alter my brake system yet (and that bit is less than attractive) and I dont want to cut up my factory wire retainer...

Correct me If I am wrong.. it looks like the MV leaves everything original there, you just relocate a couple cables and tug some slack right?

I just took the outside pin out of my bars and rotated them 5 degrees towards straight... nice improvement for my numb fingers.. but i'd like them back about an inch (not up at all if i can help it).. the MV looks to be the closest solution to that.

Now... Where is that little guy with the popcorn?
You do not alter your brake system, you just loosen the hose to give more slack for the riser, you don't use the hose/cable retainer on the Heli or MV, you keep all OEM hoses and cables. The Heli is harder because you need to drill out the ignition switch which is a PITA.

Lets all be clear on what is being compared;

The Motorrad product provides the parts/instructions to relocate some/all the cables with brackets & zap straps..

The Heli bridge provides an extension for the brake line & instructions to deal with the rest. This product does NOT require drilling out the ignition switch.

Having said that, my hope is this thread is about comparing the functionality/fit/bar relocation of the 2 products. It's clear that the Motorrad product is an easier install. Not that the Heli is hard, just the Motorrad is simpler.

I especially encourage those with the new Heli product to chime in & make comments.

Again my thx

-Steve

You do not alter your brake system, you just loosen the hose to give more slack for the riser, you don't use the hose/cable retainer on the Heli or MV, you keep all OEM hoses and cables. The Heli is harder because you need to drill out the ignition switch which is a PITA.
This:

IMG_1271.JPG

As simple as it is.. and even though the end result is probably not palpable... Is altering your brake system.. and it looks like cob job crap.

This:

IMG_1271.JPG

As simple as it is.. and even though the end result is probably not palpable... Is altering your brake system.. and it looks like cob job crap.
I was referencing to the MV risers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any reply from a Heli bridge owner..Probably no one yet has install this bridge..My opinion is that you will take about the same effect from the two risers plus the angle adjustment of the MV and the much more easier installation for the MV.I don't know if you have seen the instructions for the Heli bridge?:

https://www.helibars.com/sites/default/files/install_instructions/HR09079%20Installation%20Instructions%205-2-13%20web.pdf

I have the two risers,Heli and MV not both installed in my 03 Gen1.The driving position is about the same for the height and the rearward,but the big difference in comfortable coming from the angle adjustment of the MV..!Your bike,you decide..
smile.png

Mihalis FJR -

"I have the two risers,Heli and MV not both installed in my 03 Gen1.The driving position is about the same for the height and the rearward,but the big difference in the comfortable is in the angle adjustment of the MV..!"

You are comparing the Motorrad riser with the Heli triple clamp replacement (old product) or Heli Bridge (new product)? Thx for confirming.

-Steve

Mihalis FJR -
"I have the two risers,Heli and MV not both installed in my 03 Gen1.The driving position is about the same for the height and the rearward,but the big difference in the comfortable is in the angle adjustment of the MV..!"

You are comparing the Motorrad riser with the Heli triple clamp replacement (old product) or Heli Bridge (new product)? Thx for confirming.

-Steve
Steve,

I comparing this one Heli risers for my Gen1:

With this one MV riser plate for Gen1:

Honestly if your considering doing the Heli, it looks to me like a pretty nice product. only thing holding people back is that brake line goofyness... <br />

<br />

Toss that shit in the garbage - <span style='font-size: 14px;'>do it right -- </span><span style='font-size: 14px;'>buy a longer brake line,</span><span style='font-size: 14px;'> install, bleed the system. Bleeding the brakes is retardedly easy.... </span>

I have owned numerous Heli products on many bikes (Ducati ST-3, VFR800 (all generations), VFR750 (most generations), CBR600 (2 generations), CBR1100XX, Triumph 955 Daytona, and I believe an ST1100). Never had an issue with build quality, so I don't find the brake line extension an issue. Everyone has their own opinion, & in a perfect world, I would also choose to acquire a new longer line.

As I posted previously, I am trying to separate install issues from functionality issues, my interest here is in how the product functions as a riser.

-Steve

Agreed, I like heli stuff, aside from that bandaid they should just include a full length line imo. But I'd not hesitate to buy one if I had a slower newer gen model like you guys ;-)

I'm late to this thread and new to the site. I installed the Helibars bridge. A couple items not previously mentioned:

With Motorrad the device must be removed to do steering stem maintenance. (Should be 16,000 miles apart unless looseness is detected on inspection). With the Helibars you might not have to remove it. However, one needs a very shallow 36mm socket to have a shot at it. I've got one coming, will report back.

With Helibars raising the tank requires either removing/reinstalling the device or unbolting not just the front mounting bolts, but the rear "pivot" bolt, as well. I can't tell if that's true for the MV. Could someone respond?

The Helibars approach to the front brake line is definitely not cosmetically pleasing. And it's kind of weird. I had their equivalent product on my NT700 and they supplied new front brake line and throttle and clutch cables.

I'm late to this thread and new to the site. I installed the Helibars bridge. A couple items not previously mentioned:
With Motorrad the device must be removed to do steering stem maintenance. (Should be 16,000 miles apart unless looseness is detected on inspection). With the Helibars you might not have to remove it. However, one needs a very shallow 36mm socket to have a shot at it. I've got one coming, will report back.

With Helibars raising the tank requires either removing/reinstalling the device or unbolting not just the front mounting bolts, but the rear "pivot" bolt, as well. I can't tell if that's true for the MV. Could someone respond?

The Helibars approach to the front brake line is definitely not cosmetically pleasing. And it's kind of weird. I had their equivalent product on my NT700 and they supplied new front brake line and throttle and clutch cables.
The installation for the MV Motorrad is really easy!About one hour job..
smile.png

Have a read in this nice thread in all the pages..:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/

Latest posts