Mounting a Smartire display

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
Ok, a very (maybe overly) detailed description of how I mounted my Smartire display to my ’05 FJR…

I bought a Smartire system for installation on my ’05 FJR before my trip to Reno (to make keeping track of tire pressure a bit easier). By the way, Gary McCoy sells it for less than anyone else (and less than the price marked on the box).

Smartire.jpg

I took some time to figure out where to mount the display to make it easily visible. I came down to 2 options, mounting on top of the Brake reservoir under my V1,

Attemptedlocation1.jpg

or on top of the fairing over the speedometer, like is shown on the Smartire webpage.

Attemptedlocation2.jpg

I chose the reservoir cover for a couple of reasons, including visibility, ability to reach/push the front panel switch, and ease of wiring.

Per a conversation I had with Jestal, I dremeled off the lettering from a strip of the top surface on the reservoir cover.

Sandedreservoircover.jpg

I then got some industrial Velcro and attached it to the stripped surface,

Velcroonreservoir.jpg

as well as to the underside of the display. Mounted it up… job done, right? Well, not quite…

Turns out that the blue background on the display fades out badly if you’re not viewing it head on, or close to it.

Velcroonreservoirscreen1.jpg

This is how it should look.

Howdisplayshouldlook.jpg

So I needed to angle the display up so that it pointed more at my eyes while I was seated on the bike.

Displayangledup1.jpg

Turns out that about a 23 degree angle would do the trick quite nicely.

Displayangledup2.jpg

So what to use? I know Toecutter mentioned once that he used a rubber wedge that used to be a doorjam. I found 3 for a dollar at the Dollar store, but they were hollowed out inside… so no go.

Found some dark plastic dividers that were about 3/16” thick that were basically unused (not really sure what they were originally used for… but they fit the bill for what I had in mind). I marked off 1” wide sections, and cut the strips on my bandsaw. Then cut a few 1.625” long sections.

Materials1.jpg

Continued in the next post....

After stacking them up, it turned out that 4 would allow me to make a wedge with a 23 degree angle. Glued them up, clamped them, and waited a couple hours.

Ready2glue.jpg

Gluedup.jpg

The result was a bit “unsquare”,

Unsandedblocksinlocation.jpg

so I evened that up at the oscillating spindle sander.

Readyforsanding.jpg

Afterspindlesanding.jpg

Now that I had a rectangle that seemed to fit in the space I had targeted, I marked a 23 degree line,

Markingangle.jpg

Markedangle.jpg

and cut it on my bandsaw.

Cuttingline2.jpg

This gave me 2 pieces (in case I somehow screwed up the first one, or somebody ever asked if I had an extra…).

Twohalves.jpg

Once the cut wedge got sanded to the right angle, it appeared to fit,

Cutpiecefitcheck.jpg

so it was epoxied to the cover,

Attachingtocover.jpg

and screwed back onto the reservoir. Cut a piece of industrial sticky-backed Velcro for the slope,

Attachedwithvelcro2.jpg

and attached the display. Note, the wedge looks a lot darker than in the pictures… Now I’ve got a perfect head-on view of the display, and it’s easily visible and out of the way at the same time.

Allmounted1.jpg

Allmounted2.jpg

Wow Groo, that is a new bar you have set for a post (nice!)

I have mine from Gary as well (+1 on the best price)

I am waiting to burn through this set of tires before I install mine.

Like your idea :)

Maybe we should have forum handle nametags(I picture myself walking through WFO wondering...maybe that's Groo, or maybe him...)
2247302-plus1.gif
I posted something about this months ago. Hopefully the organizers will provide something to that end.

Topic- My clear doorjam had a partition that I cut to so it's closed on all but the bottom. Contact cemented that to the clutch reservoir then velcro'd the readout module to the wedge.

With tires being such a mission-critical component, I'm really glad I added this accessory.

Looks great!!

You have lots of goodies to look at too!

I took a different route. I mounted mine under the select/reset odometer buttons on my 05. The blue light given off is quite bright and (for me) very distracting when mounted any higher. I can see it easily and the install was a breeze.

Looks great!!You have lots of goodies to look at too!

I took a different route. I mounted mine under the select/reset odometer buttons on my 05. The blue light given off is quite bright and (for me) very distracting when mounted any higher. I can see it easily and the install was a breeze.
How did you mount it there, I would like to do the samething with mine ;)

I mounted mine under the select/reset odometer buttons on my 05. The blue light given off is quite bright and (for me) very distracting when mounted any higher. I can see it easily and the install was a breeze.
Can you hit the toggle button while underway? It's a stretch for me to reach the select/reset odo buttons while in the seat... but maybe I just have short arms. :huh:

Damn creative solution!

I bought one last year and noticed the exact some problem. Your first choice location was mine too but I opted for the other spot for the reason you cited. It works great over the center instrument cluster (the angle is right) but it is vulnerable to washout from the sun. I crafted a little sunshare for it out of a rubber sheet. Works great. I'll post a pic when I get my act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pierre, I mounted mine with industrial strength velcro on the top of the smartire unit and just below the select/reset buttons. I ran the cord below the panel. It hasn't moved yet. :eek:k:

Well, got the sensor mounted on the rear tire (along with a fresh Avon), and was just about to mount the front one when we noticed the attachment strap had a weak point in the middle, tried to tighten it up around the hub, and it snapped. Got a call in to Gary M. to get a replacement... glad I still have 2 weeks till I leave for Reno.

Well, got the sensor mounted on the rear tire (along with a fresh Avon), and was just about to mount the front one when we noticed the attachment strap had a weak point in the middle, tried to tighten it up around the hub, and it snapped. Got a call in to Gary M. to get a replacement... glad I still have 2 weeks till I leave for Reno.
Lucky you noticed it before your trip, see what happen to my friend

683a5bcf.jpg

After 60 miles only in the front tire

Dang Pierre... looks like when it let loose, it really fragmented. Did they replace his strap/sensor? How did he figure out it broke? Was there an audible noise, or did the sensor stop working?

Dang Pierre... looks like one it let loose, it really fragmented. Did they replace his strap/sensor? How did he figure out it broke? Was there an audible noise, or did the sensor stop working?
Sensor still works, he noticed a vibration in the front wheel same as an unbalanced wheel.

According the the moto shop that installed them it is due to a defect in the strap.

He is now waiting from an answer from Smartire.

I wonder if it could damage the tire, :unsure:

My friend is not sure if he will put them back....

Pierre said:
Dang Pierre... looks like one it let loose, it really fragmented. Did they replace his strap/sensor? How did he figure out it broke? Was there an audible noise, or did the sensor stop working?
Sensor still works, he noticed a vibration in the front wheel same as an unbalanced wheel.

According the the moto shop that installed them it is due to a defect in the strap.

He is now waiting from an answer from Smartire.

I wonder if it could damage the tire, :unsure:

My friend is not sure if he will put them back....
SMARTTIRE004.jpg

I got one of these.... I keep it in my tank bag, that way I don't have to take a tire off to find it... :lol:

images.jpg

Groo,

Did you get this installed with the new strap yet?

The breaking of your strap & the pictures posted by Pierre made me a little nervous.

Looking at their site I found they had a recall on older units

"Recall Notice: SmarTire for Motorcycles

SmarTire has issued a recall notice for its SmarTire for Motorcycles product. This recall affects products sold between May 2004 and August 2004. If you purchased SmarTire for Motorcycles between these dates or you are a SmarTire for Motorcycles dealer, please contact SmarTire at the numbers below.

North America: 1-888-982-3001

Europe: +44 (0) 1235 511 010"

I gave them a call and spoke with technical support.

The issue was a redesign of the sensor unit itself.

Old design was more flat

Current version is curved to better fit the majority of the wheel wells

42254938.100_0560a.jpg

Redesign doesn't put as much stress on the sensor/strap connection (according to tech rep)

Fred's review.

How about torque spec for the band?

Maybe it is like the oil drain plug on the FJR and needs to be 50-75% less than factory specified torque.

Manual says 35 in-lbs (sounds close to finger tight to me)

My new tires should be here today or tomorrow.

Going to bring my wheels in to have tires removed AM, install sensors over lunch & new tires on in the PM

Groo,
Did you get this installed with the new strap yet?

The breaking of your strap & the pictures posted by Pierre made me a little nervous.
My new strap should be here on Thursday. I'll get it mounted on Friday and give it a good workout on Saturday. I'm not overly worried about it... I have the curved sensors, and think my previous strap just got bent the wrong way before it got to me, and think the next one should be fine.