Mounting a zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you opt for a stem nut mount, you can use much of the provided hardware.

Here's my swing at it: Thread Linky

Also, I do use a stem nut ball mount. I made mine from an old techmount nut that I threaded for the 1" ball. You cvan't really use the stock nut as it is too thin.

Buy a tapped stem nut and screw a RAM ball into it. Gonna cost abour half of what te vastly overprices techmount does.

Makes for a VERY clean install and you use what's in the box.

I had RAM's locking knob to dissuade thieves - no one ever got away with the unit - but in it's infinite wisdom, Garmin has done away woth the concept of security for the new 660.

Buy a tapped stem nut and screw a RAM ball into it. Gonna cost abour half of what te vastly overprices techmount does.

I had RAM's locking knob to dissuade thieves - no one ever got away with the unit - but in it's infinite wisdom, Garmin has done away woth the concept of security for the new 660.
I agree. The techmount is nice but a bit salty. Stem nut with Ramball, the provided straight extension, and the provided mount work and look great. Personally, I never leave the unit on the bike when it's out of my sight. Replace the "security?" screw with the much easier to use thumb screw being sold over at the Zumo forum and you can pop it on and off quickly. Out of sight out of mind.

You can't tell me that the RAM locking knob is a clean install. It is as big as a small tangerine. Who wants that hanging off? I bought the locking knob and the stem nut mount and in the end took everything back and went with the tech mount. It looks a lot better. The tech mount looks factory, the RAM stuff looks added on.

It only costs a little bit more to go first class.

Hmmm, I dunno, but I already had a techmount stem mount. I sacrificed the stem nut to make my ball mount system. I prefer it. I bought, but don't use the locking knob. I designed my own cable lock system that locks the GPS and the mount of the bike. I like the RAM stuff over the kludgy looking techmount stuff.

Opinions...

Hey pbfjr1300,

This is one of those topics that everyone is gonna have their own opinion on and everyone will be right! I suspect threads like this will end up as NEPRT fodder eventually!

To answer your question directly.....yes, I opted for stock Zumo mount without any additional mounting hardware as shown in the pix below. It's where I like it for my own reasons.....YMMV. You will note that I have opted for the "tangerine" locking knob to help keep some a-hole from easily walking off w/my mount. And you'll probably want to investigate replacing that PIA spanner-bit "security" screw with a thumbscrew model of some description.

IMG_0172s.jpg

This picture is more from the driver's perspective to show how you can line it up nicely with the instrument panel and while it sits up fairly high (easy to glance down at too) it also remains protected by the stock windscreen shown in this photo.

IMG_0173s.jpg

Good Luck,

VPup

You can't tell me that the RAM locking knob is a clean install. It is as big as a small tangerine. Who wants that hanging off? I bought the locking knob and the stem nut mount and in the end took everything back and went with the tech mount. It looks a lot better. The tech mount looks factory, the RAM stuff looks added on.
It only costs a little bit more to go first class.
+1

Hey pbfjr1300,This is one of those topics that everyone is gonna have their own opinion on and everyone will be right! I suspect threads like this will end up as NEPRT fodder eventually!

To answer your question directly.....yes, I opted for stock Zumo mount without any additional mounting hardware as shown in the pix below. It's where I like it for my own reasons.....YMMV. You will note that I have opted for the "tangerine" locking knob to help keep some a-hole from easily walking off w/my mount. And you'll probably want to investigate replacing that PIA spanner-bit "security" screw with a thumbscrew model of some description.

Good Luck,

VPup

+1. I've got it mounted with the stock mount as well, and love it. As for security, I tend to just take the thing with me, or lock it in one of the cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0172s.jpg
That pic is interesting. The first time I saw it, before I saw the next one, I thought, "Well looky there! That guy has a camo shelf on his FJR!"

:rolleyes:

I would be interested to know how the bluetooth option works, especially if you have a chatter box. Have been thinking of getting one of these units for a longe time. Can't really justify it at this time as I normally know where I am going. Or, like many others on this forum have been told where to go WITH directions. :blink:

mojave, the bluetooth works great (when finally configured properly). It shows an incoming call w/ ID and a large button to accept the call. When the Zumo was brand new on the bike, I had to constantly remind myself not to look too much at the screen while driving. This device has been a great addition with satellite radio, weather and phone for traveling long distances. The other feature used most often is the mph display. If your not using the map software you can select map, then push the speed on the bottom left which brings up a nice, large speedometer that is very accurate. Also like the way it automatically changes from daylight to night time display. I used the bracket that came with kit to install on the tray (visible on the bottom picture). Also mounted the satellite antennae to the left of the zumo. Another thing that's good about this mount is you can swivel the zumo up and down, side to side to adjust. I purchased the lock knob that works good. Found these couple of pics on the laptop to post:

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0257.jpg

I would be interested to know how the bluetooth option works, especially if you have a chatter box. Have been thinking of getting one of these units for a longe time. Can't really justify it at this time as I normally know where I am going. Or, like many others on this forum have been told where to go WITH directions. :blink:

I believe the part of the Bluetooth you are asking about is the wireless to the head/helmet, not the bluetooth pairing of the phone to the Zumo, right? Because, as Git-r-Dan says, the phone pairing part is excellent. But the wireless headset is going to be very dependent on what sort of headset you are using more than the Zumo. If the chatterbox pairs and works on the bike with your phone well, it will work w/ Zumo well. The main shortcomings seem to be with the headsets.

One thing you may not know is that when you send audio to the wireless headset via blue tooth, it will always be mono. This leads a lot of folks to use a wired headset / intercom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the mount that Garmin provides and am quite happy with it. I'm not sure I'd care for the stem mount. I'd use the stock mount--it didn't cost you anything extra--and if you don't like it, them go with the stem mount. That was my plan, and after using the stock setup, I can't think of a reason to spend the money on a stem mount. I'll save those bucks up and eventually I'll be able to buy the next farkle.

I use the mount that Garmin provides and am quite happy with it. I'm not sure I'd care for the stem mount. I'd use the stock mount--it didn't cost you anything extra--and if you don't like it, them go with the stem mount. That was my plan, and after using the stock setup, I can't think of a reason to spend the money on a stem mount. I'll save those bucks up and eventually I'll be able to buy the next farkle.
+1 'zactly what I was thinking...

as for wireless, I've had the cardo unit for over a year now...works like a charm.