Mounting GPS, SPOT, Radar Detector on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
I've just started the process of trying to mount items on my 2013 FJR. The preferred manner of mounting a GPS, SPOT and detector would be on an accessory shelf, but there does not seem to be such a shelf available for the GEN III. I next considered the Farkle Bar. I like how it simplifies wiring and is easy to remove, but I cannot see how it could be mounted in such a manner that it does not obstruct the view of all the dash mounted gauges. I've been fiddling arround with individual Ram mounts to see if I can come-up with an arrangement that works, but so far no joy. I'll be adding Heli Bars soon and I see that they provide a spot for a Ram ball that should work for the GPS, but what about all yhe other stuff?

Any suggestions out there? Anyone using the Farkle Bar? Pictures will be appreciated.

Have you considered using some RAM mounts like these...

i-8sQhXwn-X2.jpg

I don't mount a lot a crap to the bike, but the V1, GPS and SPOT are essential. I'll mount the SPOT on right as in the above pic, the V1 on the left and the GPS will go in the middle after I get the MV riser plate installed.

I find these RAM bases are very useful...

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handle-base-with-dual-1-inch-ball.html

I'm working on the same stuff right now. Got the MV riser/setback plate. Zumo 660 will go on a RAM mount on the left HB, Smartphone on RAM mount on right HB, Spot Connect on RAM ball in center of MV plate, Valentine One on a plate I'm making for the top of the front brake reservoir.

Want to get a plastc cover for the Valentine so I don't have to put it away when it rains.

External beeper control box for the Valentine One & garage door opener will go in the left fairing compartment.

Battery compartment cover will be modified to include a powerlet, cig lighter jack for smartphone power, coaxial jack for charger/tender and a voltmeter.

If it's just those 3 I'd do the radar detector right hand mirror hole and RAM, GPS on the centerstand with a stem mount and whatever cradle, and SPOT on the left mirror mount with a RAM.

I have the same setup as Ignacio with the radar and apot reversed. Radar and gps sound are wired to a sena bluetooth transmitter in the glovebox, so it made sense to have the RD on the left.

I strongly recommend keeping the spot on your person. If you end up thrown from the bike you will need it. This week i was trapped in front of my Jeep in the middle of no where, a spot in the Jeep would have been useless. I am a big believer of them now but keep it on your person.

I strongly recommend keeping the spot on your person. If you end up thrown from the bike you will need it. This week i was trapped in front of my Jeep in the middle of no where, a spot in the Jeep would have been useless. I am a big believer of them now but keep it on your person.
As luck would have it I bought a SPOT 3, received last night, and will be carrying it on my person. SPOT 1 was not very practical for carrying on your body.