music for feejeer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IPOD + Eytomotics ER6iearphones. Also use a Sirius Starmate replay receiver with a Boostaroo amp. Run Sirius antennae in tank bag. Work flawless.

I do the Zumo w/ XM Radio through a Starcom1 digital setup. Fracking expensive setup, but I guess it has options.

I'm toying with the idea of mounting speakers into the farings somehow and perhaps a second battery for those long, lazy gangster sportbike hangout nights at gas stations or the sportbike Sonic meetups. It's along the lines of silliness that is my ram-mount self-levelling drink-holder so I can relate to the Goldwingers.

--hellcreep

XM Roady with power converter behind dash, fed into MixIt2 in tank bag also with 12 volt feed, GPS audio on 2nd channel, and a Passport audio feed on priority channel.

Has anyone installed/mounted a stereo on their fjr?studying the design of the bike I can't imagine how.
My understanding of your question is that you are asking about using a standard car stereo. If so, I did read somewhere about a guy whohad installed a CD changer/radio into the lid of his trunk, and used handlebar mounted speakers. There was some form of wired remote control involved, but I don't recall exactly how that was achieved.

Personally, I opted for the Garmin 2730, with XM radio, and an Ipod, through an Autocom.

I use the mp3 with headphones now however I was thinking along the lines of external speakers mounted into the farring avoiding the pricey handle bar speakers. Guess I am thinking along the lines of something that I could plug directly into my MP3

Set up an Ipod or some portable mp3 player with even a FM tuner and plug in the small desk speakers. Mount with velcro or use a Ram ball mount set up. The speakers are sold at most electronic stores.... I've seen some outdoor types, maybe they can stand the moto use too? Easy to set up and the little speakers can be heard pretty good. I've seen guys at work playing tunes through thier phones into Ipod speakers...

I saw a fjrer in Canada that had a handlebar mounted stero ans speakers. I don't remember the guys forum handle, maybe he'll pipe up soon.

If I recall correctly,

Honda makes a set of outdoor speakers that mount for the ST1300. Some one in the past has used it on the FJR....

WW

Further options:

gooddeals18.com has waterproof speaker + 100watt motorcycle amplifier kits (with a subwoofer) for $75. Aside from the subwoofer, it looks like the setup could possibly mount well into a fairing. The no-woofer package is only $50 or so.

uniqcycle.com has a really good sounding handlebar 2-speaker/150w amp setup for $300.

The person who installed the wired remote setup probably used a Pyle marine audio setup. Buy.com or gooddeals18.com sell all those products as well. I would have issues with this kind of install because the Pyle decks / amplifiers are huge --- and under my seat there's already a huge mass of cables and boxes controlling whathaveyou. I'm personally not up on taking up a bag or a trunk for an audio setup.

I may try out the gooddeals setup to see what I can do..

---hellcreep

Why bother when you can have XM or Sirius with a small nearly weightless unit . . .Almost zero road noise with earbuds & great stations that don't dissapear while traveling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I've read, I doubt you'll be able to hear those speakers very well. A recent tourer comparison stated the Goldwing is the only bike with external speakers that work at speed. And that's do to a whole lot of fairing and a whole lot of engineering.

Don't see how you'll ever hear any speakers through a helmet and ear plugs.

You do wear ear plugs don'tcha'? If you don't you'll eventually end up like me with tinnitus and significant hearing loss.

What? What was that? Huh?

I have a Sony CDX MP70 radio/CD player with an RM-XM10B remote installed on my BMW 1150 RT. The external speakers are worthless when highway cruising. Even though I have the option of hooking up my earplugs to the radio, I rarely do. Go with an iPOD and save yourself a lot of trouble.

To answer your question, zzkenoman used to have some pics of an FJR with fairing mounted speakers. They seem to have disappeared now, if you are interested you might try to get in touch with him.

Here is an old link.

What great fun reading all of those old threads.

I currently have a sirius (had xm last year), through an autocom. And sometimes I just plug the ipod in the autocom. Satelite radio is ok, but around town I would like to get am/fm. Have seen here or on one of the other forums in the past about a guy that put a marine radio under his seat with a wired remote. I think that would be a great option for music/news but I don't have room under the seat.