Muzzy 4 into 1 dragging issue.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
Well, well..........some of you will no doubt remember my boasting about my Muzzy full system not dragging as some others have reported (go ahead MotorSWATCop.........make me eat crowe!).

As it turned out, I must have been riding like a pu$$y........that's right, I just admitted that. Here's a pic of me from killboy at moderate lean at the gap, just before I had to clean my shorts.

img_2805.jpg

Here's a shot of the exhaust from below.

IMG_2227.jpg

Here's a shot of the new exhaust.

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

The revised header and mid-pipe are definetely much more tucked-in than the first version. I want to give a big shout out to Dave Turner at Muzzys for taking care of me. Quick turn-around and no charge to fix it. The proof will be on my next ride, but I'm pleased with this update.

There's been a flurry of exhaust questions lately with newbys looking to farkle their steeds. If your looking for a full 4-1 system, shed about 20-25 lbs and give your exhaust note a little bark without being obnoxious, this is the way to go.

Awesome exactly what I was looking for in regard to putting on a 4 to 1 system. What was the cost of the setup, who did you deal with? I am looking to go this route.. not a big fan of having 2 cans on the bike..

Bought it thru the Group Buy last year, I think for $850 for the complete system, with carbon fiber can. I'd deal with Muzzys directly...ask for a discount!

BTW, I should have mentioned that I have a PC3, with the combo map - Wally's Smoothness / Holeshot, split at 3,000 rpms if I remember right. All smog crap is off, no pop on decel and runs great. Fuel mileage sucks in the low 30s, but who cares!

More pics of the the exhaust on the bike please!!

PS......I'll be making some passes by Killboy in August!! :D

Here's a couple more pics.

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

My main reasons for going with this system were weight savings, a bit more bark and some bling (we're all closet blingers). Performance gains, while always appreciated, were never my main objective.

Overall, I was pleased with this system before and even more so now. I'm confident that the revised, tucked-in desing, will help the dragging issue.

Good luck.

Just because I like to be a pain......any pics of the pipe with the bags on?? :D

Does having one pipe make is sound any different than having 2 pipes? The only aftermarket exhaust I've heard personally is the remus and that was 2 pipes. I know every brand will sound different, but just curious if going to one pipe makes an even bigger difference.

I see you are running a non OEM shock...Do you think you have raised the bike and help out the rub problem? I am looking hard at this exhaust...but I have seen all the problems that other have had.

My 421 Muzzy (put on a few months ago) is flawless.. I have pushed it too.. Pegs touch down way before the pipe.. In fact the pipe has yet to do so... and I have taken it to the track as well, with some pretty good lean angle.

Muzzy, (I spoke to them) was so fast in taking care of me when I was told by one of their dealers they did not have my pipe..

I called Muzzy direct, spoke to one of the principals, he said "Yes, I have one for your bike sitting right here" I told him his dealer was cheaper, he said call so and so, and have them call me, pay them and I will drop ship right now.

Perfect, 3 days later. Lovin it every since

My 421 Muzzy (put on a few months ago) is flawless.. I have pushed it too.. Pegs touch down way before the pipe.. In fact the pipe has yet to do so... and I have taken it to the track as well, with some pretty good lean angle.
Muzzy, (I spoke to them) was so fast in taking care of me when I was told by one of their dealers they did not have my pipe..

I called Muzzy direct, spoke to one of the principals, he said "Yes, I have one for your bike sitting right here" I told him his dealer was cheaper, he said call so and so, and have them call me, pay them and I will drop ship right now.

Perfect, 3 days later. Lovin it every since
== I have heard CDOGS bike and it sounds good... and for lean angles .. :p I was fairly close behind him in

some corners at speed and it didn't drag at all...... :yahoo:

Ok sounds good... I been waiting to get an exhaust for the bike for 2 years now. How much can I expect to pay for the 4 to 1 carbon set-up and who should I buy from. I figure with airbox mod....pc-3 and the Muzzy, 140hp is around the corner!!!!!!!! Say bye Bye to the Kaw-14..........

I'm glad they FINALLY took care of it. The pipe sounds great and the performance gains were nice too. It only took 'em, what 2 years? I'm glad you like it and YES, I do miss my FJR. Having a blast on the track though.

Sorry to bring back an 18 month old thread!!!

So I have read just about every thread about the Muzzy system, and have decided on it assuming they fixed the scraping midpipe issue, which it seems they did back in '08. Although I never heard much of any issues from Gen1 owners.

I am looking at 58cycle for the best price, but don't want to get an old kit they have sitting around that has the old midpipe. Anyone order from 58cycle in the last year and a half and have any issues?? I wonder if their orders ship from Muzzy... that would be ideal. Also wonder if I should just call Muzzy and see what they reccomend, which I probably will.

I ride an '04, which has higher pegs that Gen2, always have shock set on hard, and am a very aggressive rider whenever I can find some twisties. I use my body as much as I can to offset bike, but I sometimes hit pegs even at high speeds, so this is a huge concern to me as I do a lot of sport riding with my wife on the back too.

Thanks for any help!!!

I installed Muzzys last Fall and immediately scraped the pipe first time out. I'm fairly aggressive, but was not cooking that hot at the time and then backed off. I did have the bike lowered, but I figure even if lowered, if the pipe is set up right the pegs should hit first. needless to say, disappointing. It convinces me the pipes had not been corrected, even after all the complaints. I sent an email to Muzzy and did not get a reply.

Since then, I've pulled the pipe up higher by not using the short piece that connects the pipe strap to the anchor point. It pulls it up to the point the oxygen sensor can't be seen at all (up behind the lower fairing piece). I also pulled the pipe closer to the frame by attaching a wire (near the pipe spring anchor) from the pipe to the opposite side of the bike to an eye bolt through the mounting point for the stockers, then tightening the bolt on the eye bolt to draw the pipe in. I also raised the bike up, which is something I would rather not have to do. I do not know if this will work-come Spring I'll find out.

So, at least as of September or so 2009, the problem still existed.

Thanks for the response Karmak!

Today I ordered the full exhaust with oval slip-on, Power Commander III, and a quiet core that I may/may not install for $900 shipped, direct from Muzzy. Seems like a good deal, - if it scrapes it sounds like I can move it a bit out of the way if needed.

Thanks for the response Karmak!
Today I ordered the full exhaust with oval slip-on, Power Commander III, and a quiet core that I may/may not install for $900 shipped, direct from Muzzy. Seems like a good deal, - if it scrapes it sounds like I can move it a bit out of the way if needed.
You got the full exhaust, PC III for $900? That is a heck of a good price.I am seriously thinking about the Muzzy exhaust, also been looking at the Holeshot exhaust system. The Holeshot brand is more expensive. Please post your results on the board. I will be curious to know how you made out.

Alex