Muzzy 4 into 1 dragging issue.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a gen 1 on the group buy and never had a problem scraping it. Were there that many sent back for refit?

Got it installed finally. Muzzy sent me a midpipe that wasn't bored out enough to slip over the headers, but they took care of it and got me a new one. No aggressive riding yet so I can't comment on any scraping. Sounds really good, fairly muted when just cruising but does growl pretty good when it's under load or when you rip on it. I will probably install the quiet core sometime to try it out - the muffler endcaps are held in my allen screws so it should be fairly easy as long as I can pry off the caps.

The muzzy map felt too rich. The zero 'stock' map actually felt really good, no driveability issues, but not as much power as the holeshot headers map. I also leaned it out a bit. Taking a trip today so I can report on MPGs.

Oh, and not gonna lie, VERY impressed with build quality. Stock headers are 11.5lbs. Muzzy is 8lbs. Gotta go weigh the stock mufflers still.

DSCN5004.jpg

DSCN5005.jpg

DSCN5006.jpg

DSCN5007.jpg

DSCN5008.jpg

DSCN5009.jpg

thanks for viewing hope this helps anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I managed to scrape the Muzzy midpipe riding aggresively recently but it was at fairly low speeds, about 25mph. I think I have the revised midpipe too, purchased in 2010. Happens about the same time as scraping the pegs, so not a huge issue at all for me. I also hit it going around a round-about last year while following my friend on his R6 who couldn't lose me through the turn, was probably leaned over at around 50mph. I didn't realize that until this spring when I noticed the scrapes, no wonder it didn't feel like pegs last year. However, I don't like to lean it over that far to the right anyways, so I'm still satisfied with the pipe as is.

Glad you are happy with it but it is still disappointing that the midpipe hits anywhere close to when the pegs hit. Just ain't right. Thanks for the update.

I just put on a Wilbers and have the rear up a 1/2" or so in the back and yes, that combo makes a big difference.
Wow. I am with Fairlaner. I would have thought for sure an aftermarket shock would have kept you from scraping even the Muzzy. That is REALLY not good news for anyone with a stock shock.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have NOT scraped since putting on my Wilbers, but I have not pushed it to it's limits yet as it's only been on for about 200 miles, but from the feel of the bike I can tell it is not squating down near as much in the apex of turns compared to the stock shock. It's snowing out here now. We'll find out at CFO...

Just make sure you get the oval can, and the quiet core at least as an option. Call Muzzy they may match or beat their price.

DSCN5005.jpg

DSCN5007.jpg

DSCN5006.jpg