Muzzy Exhaust system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girevikdavid

Reaction score
I think my post got lost in the hack so I'll repeat the question.

I bought the Muzzy 4/2/1 with SS oval can for my '05 FJ. I haven't bought the PCIII or K&N filter yet and won't be able to for a couple of months. Question is, will I be OK in putting on the new exhaust system without the PCIII? I don't mind if I end up sacrificing a few HP, but I don't want it to be running rough or hurt the engine.

For those of you who have installed this system, is it relatively easy to install? Any little devilish problems or things I should look out for? Or perhaps I should take it to the shop given that my biggest mechanical accomplishments thus far are putting the bike on the center stand to check the oil and fitting a Vstream screen. ;)

Thanks for your advice,

David

I have not run a complete system (header and slip-on). I did put a set of Holeshots on my bike without changing the ignition module (PCIII). The engine was a little "rough". There was a slight surge and some other minor problems that didn't affect the driveability for me. At partial throttle (i.e., 3500-5500 rpms), in neutral, you could hear the "searching" of the injectors/computer.

My opinion would be that changing the header and the slipons would create more of an airflow management problem than the computer can handle. Plus, there is probably not a plug in for the O2 sensor, so the computer isn't likely to be happy with the change.

If I were going to make the change you are proposing, I'd order the PCIII (preferred) or the Techlusion computer from the initial changeover.

You realize that changing the header will entail pulling, or at least unbolting the radiator to get to the header bolts. If you're mechanically challenged, a visit to the shop is in order for you. I think I wouldn't take it to Yamaha as they might question your warranty (though they shouldn't....its been known for dealers to cause fear and trepidation).

IIRC, fjrvtx1300s had his Holeshot system done at a shop....and they used his bike th create the PCIII program. You might PM him and ask him questions. (Sorry Mikey, I knew you'd be glad to help.)

I put the Holeshot header on my 04' in a few hours; Pull the lower plastic off,

Unbolt the bottom of the radiator and pull the pipes. Pritty simple if you are good with tools.

If I did it again I might drain and pull the radiator, those nuts were a little of a pain.

Do you run a PCIII or are you using the stock computer? I think one of his questions was about the PCIII being "necessary".

I've got the PCIII.

I don't know for sure, it may run okay without but I would reccomend waiting untill he can get a PCIII.

I doubt it could do any real damage, I think it would just run like crap.

I have not run a complete system (header and slip-on). I did put a set of Holeshots on my bike without changing the ignition module (PCIII). The engine was a little "rough". There was a slight surge and some other minor problems that didn't affect the driveability for me. At partial throttle (i.e., 3500-5500 rpms), in neutral, you could hear the "searching" of the injectors/computer.
My opinion would be that changing the header and the slipons would create more of an airflow management problem than the computer can handle. Plus, there is probably not a plug in for the O2 sensor, so the computer isn't likely to be happy with the change.

If I were going to make the change you are proposing, I'd order the PCIII (preferred) or the Techlusion computer from the initial changeover.

You realize that changing the header will entail pulling, or at least unbolting the radiator to get to the header bolts. If you're mechanically challenged, a visit to the shop is in order for you. I think I wouldn't take it to Yamaha as they might question your warranty (though they shouldn't....its been known for dealers to cause fear and trepidation).

IIRC, fjrvtx1300s had his Holeshot system done at a shop....and they used his bike th create the PCIII program. You might PM him and ask him questions. (Sorry Mikey, I knew you'd be glad to help.)
There is a port for the O2 sensor. Just thought that you should know. B) And I don't think running the exhaust without the PCIII or K&N filter will hurt a thing. There. I said it and now it's on the internet so it must be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Muzzy 4/2/1 with SS oval can for my '05 FJ. I haven't bought the PCIII or K&N filter yet and won't be able to for a couple of months. Question is, will I be OK in putting on the new exhaust system without the PCIII? I don't mind if I end up sacrificing a few HP, but I don't want it to be running rough or hurt the engine.

For those of you who have installed this system, is it relatively easy to install? Any little devilish problems or things I should look out for? Or perhaps I should take it to the shop given that my biggest mechanical accomplishments thus far are putting the bike on the center stand to check the oil and fitting a Vstream screen. ;)

Thanks for your advice,

David

Putting on the Muzzy pipe should be pretty easy, and you don't need a Power Commander. You will not get maximum performance w/o it.

I have the Muzzy system on mine and I have a big problem with it. When I take a sharp right turn, the mid pipe scapes the ground.

I have notified Muzzy of the problem, and should hear back from them tomorrow.

I will keep you posted

Has anybody noticed whether the Muzzys affect the heat thrown off by Feej? My AC doesn't seem to be working too well right now and any heat loss would be appreciated.

Has anybody noticed whether the Muzzys affect the heat thrown off by Feej? My AC doesn't seem to be working too well right now and any heat loss would be appreciated.
Only in that the cats are gone-real heaters when going slow, but no effect at speed. The heat will be there if ya put on titanium zoomies. As far as the PC, this bike isn't carbed-the exhaust flow won't affect the mixture as determined by the ECM, it doesn't care if the headers are open or plugged, as it uses a predetermined program based on the TPS, MAP, and O2 sensors, none of which are affected by an exhaust change (well, the MAP, maybe a little,but not much at all). Where the PC comes into play is taking advantage of the increased exhaust flow capacity, and a little better scavenging so that one can richen the mix beyond what would normally be prudent, as there are no cats to worry about overheating, a real concern in mapping if still in place. It's fun to do map compares in the PC software, something I've been playing with the last few weeks-the Wally Smoothie map not only works with the header system, it still is the coolest running of the 4-5 maps I have available, which includes the DW Holeshot header Map, Newmans modified Header Map, the Wally map, the Holeshot Muff only map, and a couple others that are no longer viable (IMHO) with the header system. I am now running the Newman map with the OE muffs on the header, but will probably go back to the Smoothie, with a few changes in the low speed large throttle opening area, or even install the Accelerator Pump option, which may solve the few problems I've found in that area of the powerband, which aren't serious, just a little slow in response.

Thanks for your advice,

David

Putting on the Muzzy pipe should be pretty easy, and you don't need a Power Commander. You will not get maximum performance w/o it.

I have the Muzzy system on mine and I have a big problem with it. When I take a sharp right turn, the mid pipe scapes the ground.

I have notified Muzzy of the problem, and should hear back from them tomorrow.

I will keep you posted
Is the clearance problem so severe as to be a safety issue?

YES! It could kick the bike up and cause you to loose your balance

At the very least, if you scrape the pipe very often it will wear through the metal.

I can't believe Muzzy could market a pipe like this.
Keep us posted on the pipe problem,i have the Muzzys system on mine and have not had any problems

with it rubbing or hitting the ground.

Stu64 said:
YES! It could kick the bike up and cause you to loose your balance

At the very least, if you scrape the pipe very often it will wear through the metal.

I can't believe Muzzy could market a pipe like this.
Keep us posted on the pipe problem,i have the Muzzys system on mine and have not had any problems

with it rubbing or hitting the ground.
Better yet can you post a pic of the area that rubs,i will double check mine.

Thanks for the heat info, Rad.

Stu, do you think it's a installation issue or a lean angle issue? Have you ground off some of your peg feelers? Do you ignore your feelers and lean till you're grinding hard parts like meosborn?

I drive my FJR agressively but when the pegs start scraping i back off.

Really don't care to lean anymore than that with such a heavy bike.