Muzzy full system scraping report......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
I spent the last (4) days burning up the roads around Deal's Gap with my newly installed Muzzy system and I'm pleased to report that I could not get the mid-pipe to touch down. For that matter, my pegs never hit the gound either. Now, before you go railing me for riding like a wussy, my chicken strips are no wider than 1/8" max. I was leaned as far down and as I ever want to be.

For the record, my bike has the GP front suspension treatment and Penske rear shock. I'm 235 with gear and had about 70 lbs of crap on the bike. I ride with my toes sticking out and did a nice job on my new Joe Rocket boots. In fact, I lost my right toe slider.

Use the information at your own risk, but I'm glad I didn't pull the system off after reading the reports here.

Did you adjust height with the penske?

I EASILY touched down the muzzys, but I ride with my toes tucked IN, so I don't need a slider :p

Yes I did. I guessed at the sag since I didn't have anybody to help me set it and I'm probably fairly close to correct. Bike handled very well, even with all my stuff on there.

Is your suspension stock?

My bike was the one w/ the problem and yes, its supension is stock. I have the pre-load up and it is always set to "hard". I'm glad that it worked for you. I liked the system a lot but could not deal w/ the contact issue.

Note: Fencer was on my bike.

Yes I did. I guessed at the sag since I didn't have anybody to help me set it and I'm probably fairly close to correct. Bike handled very well, even with all my stuff on there.
Is your suspension stock?
Sag and height adjust are two dif animals. The sag will help to control how much the spring will compress when under pressure while riding.

Adjuster at the top of the shock

The height adjust is at the bottom of the shock and will not fluctuate when riding. If you spin the little ring at the bottom of the shock (12mm max IIRC) it lifts or lowers the bikes overall height. So did you raise the bike?

My personal criteria would be to drag the pegs without dragging the pipe.
[SIZE=12pt]Thank you, Jeff -- me too!!! [/SIZE]

That's why I keep reading these threads before I install my Muzzys system (now sitting in box): to see the rider and pillion weights and other riding issues related to people touching or not touching down their Muzzys mid pipes [SIZE=12pt]BEFORE[/SIZE] they touch down the pegs.

So far, on that issue, the best reports have been MotorSwatCop's and FJRFencer's reports about MSC's bike -- but that's got OEM suspension, he's around 235 lbs (?) and he rides aggressively. Need some more relevant data points from better matched counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got pics of the full muzzy system installed??
Thanks.

Wicked, follow this link to Stu's install.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v240/StuC/muzzy%20pipe/

I haven't taken any pics of mine yet but just finished a 500 mile ride Wednesday. I couldn’t be happier with my choice of the Stainless Muzzy system, +7 with the Barbarian; O2 attached, removed the center stand and blocked the air hose at the air box to eliminate popping on deceleration. I love this setup, loss of weight and the seat of the pants performance improvement felt. Note, it's a 05 with the remanufactured pipe. Lightweight at 160lbs.

John

That's why I keep reading these threads before I install my Muzzys system (now sitting in box): to see the rider and pillion weights and other riding issues related to people touching or not touching down their Muzzys mid pipes [SIZE=12pt]BEFORE[/SIZE] they touch down the pegs.

So far, on that issue, the best reports have been MotorSwatCop's and FJRFencer's reports about MSC's bike -- but that's got OEM suspension, he's around 235 lbs (?) and he rides aggressively. Need some more relevant data points from better matched counterparts.
Skibum

The prob with MSC bike was on the 06, Your profile lists an 05. I think from the reports I read, the Muzzys were ok after the redesign on the Gen 1s.

And yes MSC and I are both around 230lbs.

Skibum

The prob with MSC bike was on the 06, Your profile lists an 05. I think from the reports I read, the Muzzys were ok after the redesign on the Gen 1s.

And yes MSC and I are both around 230lbs.
Thanks, Fencer. I'm 190 to 195 without gear (need to lose 15). My feejer IS an'05 ABS, and I'm hoping that puts it in the clear without having to change geometry (much, anyway). Also in my favor, I suppose: mine has Wilbers springs and a Superbrace up front and a Wilbers in the rear (which is height adjustable -- not just preload). I'm hoping all this lets me run the system with no problem, and feeling better and better about it the more I read what is and isn't said on this issue. I'll probably install in a couple weeks. (That's my next chance to get around to it -- just doing maintenance today in preparation for tomorrow's trip to L.A.)