My '03 may have seen her last miles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunhamg

Reaction score
Headed out on a ride tonight and all of a sudden it lost power and started to make a terrible racket. Grabbed the clutch and coasted to a stop. Now it won't crank over and its dripping oil. 132,150 miles may be all it had in it.

Grady

Dang, that doesn't have much of a "Well, it's actually just such-and-such and it's gonna be OK with an easy check right in here" feel to it at all.

Still, motors are out there, and taking one out and putting another in is not an impossible thing to do. Keep in mind that you want to stay with '03 to '05 while motor-shopping, as they electronics and sensors changed a bit in '06. Gen I doesn't interchange with higher gens very well.

I have a frame (straight); engine; final drive; brakes; forks; bars; and other miss parts. No tupperware. 42K miles. I won`t be around for about a week. I will check this board everyday, just in case. This is not in for sale items, because I don`t care if I sell it or not.

Headed out on a ride tonight and all of a sudden it lost power and started to make a terrible racket. Grabbed the clutch and coasted to a stop. Now it won't crank over and its dripping oil. 132,150 miles may be all it had in it.Grady
Grady,

Man, sorry to hear that. At least there were no injuries, so the only problem now is money and metal. Those items are minor, compared to your good health.

For serious engine problems, a used motor is often the best option, by many miles and many dollars. It's fairly easy to total out the FJRs in bodywork alone, so there are some very good engines to be found.out there. If you can find and buy a totaled bike, it will come with hundreds of pounds of good spare parts, besides the engine. If you need a bike immediately, just buy something decent to ride that will sell later for almost the same price that you paid. Then you can take some time to locate the best available engine for the FJR. Winter is a good time to be buying bike stuff, as far as prices are concerned.

Best of luck, man. You might even find a better ride anyway. In that case, parting out your old bike can ease the strain of buying another bike. Many options are open, there.

Hang tough,

Infrared

Yeah, I've got my ZX-10R so I'm not without a bike at least. Other than its getting to the time of the year where it's nice to have bit more wind protection I won't be too bad off.

I really don't think I want to put a new motor in this one. It's had a hard life and I'm ready for something a little newer, at least going to get one with ABS. but for the price of some of those used motors I suppose it could almost be worth putting one in and selling the bike.

A good friend came out with a trailer and picked up the bike and left me with his 1200GS to get to work tomorrow and make the trip home.

Grady

If you are going shopping..... Gen 3's are GGGGRRRRREEEEEAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Carnage? Here ya go!!!!

MassDamage.jpg

OK, maybe that was a little bit rude........
tonguesmiley.gif

But yeah, I hope he can tell us what it was that went wayward.