My alarm and loud pipes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PizzaJim

Reaction score
This is a topic that most likely has been covered here before, although I have not found it yet.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I have nothing against Harley Davidson riders I have never met a lemming I didn’t like. But that said…

I work for a manufacturing company that has a large campus with large parking lots and has been considerate enough to provide separate parking for motorcycles close to the entrances of their buildings. I have an alarm on my FJR that is set to its lowest sensitivity. You literally have to shake the bike to get the tamper alarm to sound. This is to compensate for the freight trucks that drive by shaking the ground. This afternoon while I was deep into my work my alarm pager sounded indicating that the shock alarm had gone off. All I could think is “Great some #%@$#^% idiot has knocked over by bike!”. But when I got outside the bike was still standing, nothing seemed to be wrong (except the alarm going off), but next to it was a guy on a Harley with pipes so loud they had set off the alarm. Now I a firm believer that you should be responsible for what you put on your motorcycle and should be willing to live with the consequences, so taking that into account and the fact that you could barely hear the alarm inside the building I let sound. :glare:

Comments, rants, baseless accusations?

This is a topic that most likely has been covered here before, although I have not found it yet.
I want to make it perfectly clear that I have nothing against Harley Davidson riders I have never met a lemming I didn’t like. But that said…

I work for a manufacturing company that has a large campus with large parking lots and has been considerate enough to provide separate parking for motorcycles close to the entrances of their buildings. I have an alarm on my FJR that is set to its lowest sensitivity. You literally have to shake the bike to get the tamper alarm to sound. This is to compensate for the freight trucks that drive by shaking the ground. This afternoon while I was deep into my work my alarm pager sounded indicating that the shock alarm had gone off. All I could think is “Great some #%@$#^% idiot has knocked over by bike!”. But when I got outside the bike was still standing, nothing seemed to be wrong (except the alarm going off), but next to it was a guy on a Harley with pipes so loud they had set off the alarm. Now I a firm believer that you should be responsible for what you put on your motorcycle and should be willing to live with the consequences, so taking that into account and the fact that you could barely hear the alarm inside the building I let sound. :glare:

Comments, rants, baseless accusations?
Hmm, fighting noise pollution with noise pollution, can't say I'm a fan. I think any jerk who pulls his baffles would be proud of the fact that his bike could set off alarms, so I seriously doubt your retaliation was effective.

Actually just had a great thought - aren't noise-cancelling waves most effectively applied vs. repetitive sound? Can you imagine the look on obnoxious-pipe's face if he pulled up to your bike and got silenced? Pipe-dreams (get it?) for the hopefully near-future - my noise-cancelling headphones aren't that effective yet.

Did you at least shut the alarm off after the noisy-pipe-rider was out of hearing range?

Hell, my stock cans set off the neighbors car alarm. In the case of MC's, I'd chuck the electro nanny in favor of a good lock set in known areas. Outside of that, I never, ever, ever pay any mind to a sounding car/bike alarm, making me believe that they are all but worthless.

Last edited by a moderator: