My custom V1 install with heads up display on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
Hello gang,

Here are a few pictures of my V1 build. Ive been reading for the last month or two about many people using the V1 on there bike Etc., I have had a V1 scenes 93'... I know how good they are. :) I wanted one on the new bike, also wanted it to be waterproof and to be secure. Just shy of unbolting the whole handlebar someone cant take it, but at that point they will take the whole bike.

So this is what I came up with. As you can see there is a box that I made on the front brake reservoir that holds the new latest and greatest V1. I then took there secret mounting displays, tore it apart and made my heads up 'mount' for it.. This is out of 16g steel (the raw metal looking picture).. I also tagged into the factory board so I would have more control over the mode and the mute. These are controlled by a small momentary switch on the clutch side control housing that is aiming toward the front of the bike. (the small toggle is the main power On / Off when the bike is running, other wise I have it ultimately powered to an ignition on/off power).

I then took the V1 'motorcycle' head phones option and tore this all apart. I knew what I wanted to do with the board and its components. I tried to solder all ten leads off the board for one of the components and then make a 36" extension. But the board and its components are freaking small (to me), and I screwed the first one up. I then contacted a board member that I would like to take an opportunity to thank again, MBOTTOMS for helping me with what I wanted to accomplish with disassembling the board and then re assembling it back how I wanted, so it would to do what I wanted it to do.... What I proceeded to do was take the external On-Off / volume control / mute control and installed it in a Stainless Steel cylinder hanging above the clutch side, left grip. This will give me 95% of my total control of the whole unit(s) from my clutch hand with out taking any hands off the bars. Anyone that is familiar with this unit can tell you that it comes with a second alert 'speaker'. I took this speaker out of this board and mated it to a MONO 3.5 mm jack I got from Radio shack. I made it about 36"-40" long. What this allows me to do it take the small 'RADAR" speaker and EASILY tuck it into the folds of my full face with NO MOUNTING. I then run it down my shirt or jacket and plugs into the female 3.5 that is tucked between the tank and the front dash.

Ive been messing with this for a few weeks when I had some extra time here and there. Everything turned out great, all works 100%.. The speaker in the helmet is the coolest freaking thing. The whole thing is fantastic... I LOVE IT and cant wait to go on my first really long ride.

Water proofing, the box is all rain proof and all the other boards where water proofed with Acrylic Conformal Coating. The whole kit and caboodle is 99.999999999999999 % touring proof !

I have about 65 hours in this set up start to Finnish.. took me 10.5 hours to install the whole thing once it was built.

V1InstallDONE14.jpg

V1InstallDONE12.jpg

This is the tube that has the On / Off , volume control, and mute volume...This gives me the same control as the main unit that is locked in the box.

V1InstallDONE17.jpg

V1InstallDONE20.jpg

V1InstallDONE21.jpg

This is the mount raw steel before paint.

V1buildraw5.jpg

This is the controller from the front side. The toggle is the power On / Off for the whole system while the bike is turned 'on'.. The small momentary switch is below the toggle and it lets me mute, and change settings on the HUD with out taking my hands off the grip.

V1InstallDONE16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks great

Nice job! Very clean (especially the HUD).

No plans on tying it into "system" like Starcom or Autocom? Or maybe I'm mis-reading you and you've left yourself an out with the 3.5 jack for the helmet speakers?

Nice job! Very clean (especially the HUD).No plans on tying it into "system" like Starcom or Autocom? Or maybe I'm mis-reading you and you've left yourself an out with the 3.5 jack for the helmet speakers?

Thanks,

The way I can hear it is though my speaker that I have installed with the 3.5 mm.... I try not to speed and when im running around town most of the time I don't... I really did this for the 'long road'. Ive almost been popped several times and this is what prompted me to do my fab work. When im on the road all day I will do my speaker.. But it takes a total of 5 seconds to install it im my helmet so that's it..

Starcom or Autocom,.... I don't have either of those... in the future if I want to tie it in im sure I can make it do anything I want. Most of the time this is how I get my 'silence' in life... No music, Etc... So the little Radar speaker keeps me up to speed so I don't have to look at the dash 100% of the time and we know that would be worthless and pointless! LOL... If I want to listen to the Ipod the Radar speaker is strong enough and close enough to my ear I can hear the "BEEP" over the music.. :)