My Effort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai

Reaction score
Ok Got my bike in Oct. Got all the bells and wistles, not so fond of that trunk so I made my own awnser. Started it in Nov. have been busy with the holidays and all but here is some pics.

Backrest03.jpg

Backrest02.jpg

Backrest01.jpg

That is a wonderful looking piece of work! Wouldn't want to make a whole bunch more would ya? OK, how about just one more for me?? :)

my, my ,my....

electroplated in triple chrome.

very nice, very expensive indeed

someplace for the pillion to ger her lipstick right heh?

Ok Got my bike in Oct. Got all the bells and wistles, not so fond of that trunk so I made my own awnser. Started it in Nov. have been busy with the holidays and all but here is some pics.

Backrest03.jpg

Backrest02.jpg

Backrest01.jpg
Nanzai:

Looks great! How is the strength under acceleration. Gary uses a brace on his, but I notice you don't have one. Are you interested in making more of these? Could you make one that sat behind the grab rail instead of in front? How much?

That's gorgeous!

Did you have to play with the bend angle much to get it just ride for the passenger?

Got to say that's sure a nice looking piece. From my experience with several backrests, however, I'd say your product is going to push the pillion way too far forward. That certainly would depend on the pillion size and so forth but I have found the leading edge of the backrest pad should be even with the leading edge of the stock rack. Maybe you can offer an alternative design affecting this change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with Black's positioning.

I found a 15 degree back angle was the most comfortable for the pillion. What angle is yours?

I did not need a brace for mine - the weld is stonger than the adjacent steel if done properly.

It does not bend with acceleration.

Also, I figure if in a crash it would hopefully flatten as opposed to being a shovel blade through somebody's back.

06 backrest DIY

spine4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: