My experience at Rich's Custom Seats 5/2/09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry.GEG

Reaction score
Here’s my full report from my ride/weekend in Seattle at Rich’s Custom Seats.

My ride began on Friday, May 1st 300 miles away from my destination. I had a beautiful day in Eastern Washington and I’ve been looking forward to this for two months (since I made my appointment). Not too hot, not too cold, just right and no rain.

Half-way through the state you come to the Columbia River crossing. Washington has such varied terrain that it is just a joy to ride.

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

I continued through Snoqualmie Pass and into Seattle. My sister lives in Edmonds so I stayed with her as my appointment was for 0830 Saturday. The Washington State Ferry System is always on time and very reliable. One was leaving Edmonds for Kingston Washington at 0750 and the trip across the water takes 20 min. Motorcycles are only second to bicycles in the unloading process. The price is $6.25 for one rider and their MC one way.

I arrived at Rich’s new location at 0815 as his location is about one mile from the Ferry Terminal. He’s very easy to find and in a preferable location to his former which was located in North Seattle on Hwy 99. I grew up in Shoreline WA so I knew where his other shop was and that area is not where you would want to hang-out.

Rich’s Custom Seats is in a small industrial area in the very last building with a green belt adjacent to it. He has R.V. hook-ups and camping for those who would like to stay the night before. There are restaurants within easy walking distance. He also has incorporated a guest area upstairs that can house two couples, individuals, etc. with a shared kitchen area, TV, and computer. There are two separate bedrooms. So, more like a dorm albeit, a very nice dorm set up. Contact him for pricing of the rooms or camping facilities.

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

Today included five motorcycles, one having two seats done, and one reshaping/adjustment. Amazingly, I wasn’t the only one from Eastern Washington. I was joined by two couples from my location and a couple from Moscow ID. The only one I believe that was local was the Harley rider.

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

Tony and his wife (I think) Kim were from ID and had brought their custom Hondavidson (A Valkrie with many HD parts) in the back of their Truck. This was a pretty nice looking machine with a custom paintjob. They were having a two-up seat done and Tony was having a single seat for him done when he takes off the rear top case. Pretty cool and set him back a couple of bucks I’d say.

IMG_2686.jpg

Another couple from E. Washington trailered their Honda VTX’s there. His was a Black 1800 and hers a 1300.

IMG_2695.jpg

Finally, the adjustment was for a guy and his wife – again, from E. Washington and for their Harley (a nearly $50K Harley!).

Then, there was me, Yes, I was the only one from my area to ride the bike there and my butt was the witness!

Rich starts the process by having his assistant take the cover off the seat. He does a fine job of supervising his crew with the different tasks involved. Everyone is very good at their appointed task. I explained to Rich that my seat was set on the high setting due to my height and I would prefer it lowered then built from that point. This way there wouldn’t be a gap under the seat. You would notice this if you have yours set this way. Rich assured me that he can build it anyway I wanted and off we went.

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

Rich knew intuitively what I needed (he’s been doing this a while). He also knew by my body structure the rear seat was in need of modification. Since I was having both seats recovered in Leather he informed me there would not be a charge for the mods. Very fair in my opinion.

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

After shaping and getting it where he wanted Rich put the raw foam seat on and told me to take a test drive. He had me look for any high spots, anything that might not feel right. When I returned we discussed the feel. I had a couple of complaints and he used his sharpie to mark under my butt where I felt it was too high. Rich had me do a couple of raises off the seat and leg lifts to see where it needed improvement.

IMG_2701.jpg

Once these adjustments were made a “Custom Seat Groupie” that I had been talking to suggested that I have Stingray inserts put into my seats. Now, when I say groupie I mean Rich has some of his former clients that seem to stop by and hang out. It is a very entertaining place to hang. This guy was a colorful Harley owner that explained to me all the modifications he was doing to his Harley and showed me the $4K plus Alligator seat that Rich had done for him. I guess the extra $4-$ 500 It would have cost me was chump-change to this guy  Good intentions and it would have looked cool but compromise is my middle name, sigh –leather would have to do.

IMG_2704.jpg

We decided on pebble-grain leather with his logo in center/back with the silver stitching. This I believe is identical to another on the forum. It’s a classic look with good functionality. His assistant who does most of the pattern cutting went to work on mine and the others as we all talked and watched Rich sew up the different pieces.

IMG_2705.jpg

Normally, Rich mentions that he will need you and the bike for 3-4 hours. I believe that he was down a person or two which ended up doubling this estimate. I was there for a full 8 hours; sound’s like drudgery doesn’t it? Well, it wasn’t at all. The people that are in there having their seats done are enthusiastic riders and then there are the colorful riders who just come and hang-out. Rich is great and while he was busy sewing my cover we talked about Seattle and his background. He started in custom upholstery for Corvettes 30+ years ago then he moved into Hot Rods. The custom-fit motorcycle seats were something that was recommended to him by the father of one of the other famous MC seat customizers. Rich told me that originally he wasn’t really interested but investigated it and received advice from Orthopedic Surgeons on how this could benefit riders. Rich eventually started this and appears to be doing very well.

At 1645 (he officially closes at 1700) my seat was finished and on the bike. Look at me. My rear end thanks you Rich!

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

I was the first bike finished and I have no idea how long Rich worked after 1700 to button everyone else’s up.

I hightailed it to catch the 1710 Ferry back to Edmonds. No problem as I’m the first one on and first one off – love it. In the middle of Puget Sound, I looked to the South and it was totally black. Rain was coming fast and I was hoping to make it to my sisters before I got soaked. Nope, it arrived just as the boat docked. Gees, rain on my brand new seat!

Sunday, I left for home and breathed a sigh of relief once I was out of Seattle traffic. My hat’s off to you gents and ladies who ride MC’s in the Seattle corridor. If you never been, it’s a zoo in a cage let alone in a MC. I always look forward to the beginning of the Mountain Pass as the traffic thins a bit.

East side of Snoqualmie Pass. Snow and ice floating on the reservoir. Brr, my dash temp said 46 degrees and I believe it! Cold and I was looking forward to the lower elevations.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

The ride home was uneventful and infinitely more comfortable. I can’t say it was pain free because my butt was still sore from Friday’s ride over. What I do know is this seat is more supportive and after break-in will serve me well for years to come.

I hope you enjoyed the pics and report.

Nice report and great pics! I'm headed over on the 13th of this month. My appointment is the 14th early am. I was hoping to ride back when he's finished.

bob

Hey Bob,

You'll enjoy the process. You might be stretching it to make it back to Walla Walla in the same day. From my experience I'd plan to spend most of the day there. This may encroach on your ETA home.

Just a thought.

Gerry :)

Nice report and great pics! I'm headed over on the 13th of this month. My appointment is the 14th early am. I was hoping to ride back when he's finished.
bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report.

Rich also did mine. I took it back a year later because I was not satisfied. He redid it for free, part of his guarantee that he actually lives up to. I love that seat now!

Rich's motto is he would like to get it right the first time although, if it needs adjustment he's glad to do it. The Harley rider I mentioned was there for a re-fit at N/C. It's nice to know that if it's not right Rich will make it right.

Great report.
Rich also did mine. I took it back a year later because I was not satisfied. He redid it for free, part of his guarantee that he actually lives up to. I love that seat now!

I plan on having mine done before CFR, Rich made a seat for my Honda ST1100 Great work, nice write up and pictures.